Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Hi from the UK

Howdy folks,

2009 Vista 26p owners here, we bought our RV a couple of years ago in the UK and spend the winter touring in Europe, mainly Spain and Portugal and head back to the UK once the weather improves, and yes it's possible to drive RV's over on this side of the pond even tho it can be a bit of a tight squeeze sometimes
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Team
 
WinnieView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 76
Hi from the US and welcome to Winnie Owners.
__________________
2014 View Profile 24G
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldero View Post
Howdy folks,

2009 Vista 26p owners here, we bought our RV a couple of years ago in the UK and spend the winter touring in Europe, mainly Spain and Portugal and head back to the UK once the weather improves, and yes it's possible to drive RV's over on this side of the pond even tho it can be a bit of a tight squeeze sometimes
Welcome to the forum.

I did not know that US RVs were for sale in the UK, so I find that interesting. From what I have seen at some of the kiosks at the Quartzsite RV show that deal with European and UK RV travel it looks like the RVs in use on that side of the pond are somewhat smaller in size than those in the US. Do you find your American made RV to be much of a curiosity there?

Are there many campsites in the UK and Europe? Or is RV travel there more difficult than here in the US where there are RV parks almost everywhere? Just curious.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
There are a few US RV's for sale in the UK and Europe, but they are getting fewer and fewer these days because of the quite ridiculous import duties applied to imported American RV's which is a real shame as the European equivalents are in our opinion significantly inferior.

We pretty much fulltime in our Winnebago and with that in mind we were lucky to find a Winnebago Vista 26p which at 26 foot and change, with a short wheelbase makes it very maneuverable which helps with most campsites that are setup for European motorhomes which tend to be smaller.

The only real problem we have faced really is in regards to our height, being 12 foot means that there are a lot of overhanging trees on campsites that smaller European RV's can get in under. but with a little research and google street view it's easy enough to work out if a campsite is feasible or not, we have also had to get out and inspect a couple of medieval french stone arch bridges off the beaten tracks to work out if they can take our weight, but I guess well fed French knights in plate armour on giant horses were what they had in mind when they built them

We definitely seem to be a bit of a curiosity when we park up on a campsite, the twin slides and hydraulic jacks are non existant on European motorhomes, which tend to be built on van (under 3.5 tonne) rather than a proper truck chassis and a Winnebago seems to get peoples attention because pretty much everyone in The UK or Europe equates Winnebago to an American RV, as it's such an iconic brand.

Maybe we should start charging 10 bucks for a 15 minute tour
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran RV Owner
 
armullis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 53
Blog Entries: 1
Boldero, is your Vista modified for UK power hookup?
__________________
Arthur & Sheila Mullis and "Cam" the Kitty
Driving 2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
Towing 2018 Ford Explorer 4x4 Platinum
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldero View Post
There are a few US RV's for sale in the UK and Europe, but they are getting fewer and fewer these days because of the quite ridiculous import duties applied to imported American RV's which is a real shame as the European equivalents are in our opinion significantly inferior.

We pretty much fulltime in our Winnebago and with that in mind we were lucky to find a Winnebago Vista 26p which at 26 foot and change, with a short wheelbase makes it very maneuverable which helps with most campsites that are setup for European motorhomes which tend to be smaller.

The only real problem we have faced really is in regards to our height, being 12 foot means that there are a lot of overhanging trees on campsites that smaller European RV's can get in under. but with a little research and google street view it's easy enough to work out if a campsite is feasible or not, we have also had to get out and inspect a couple of medieval french stone arch bridges off the beaten tracks to work out if they can take our weight, but I guess well fed French knights in plate armour on giant horses were what they had in mind when they built them

We definitely seem to be a bit of a curiosity when we park up on a campsite, the twin slides and hydraulic jacks are non existant on European motorhomes, which tend to be built on van (under 3.5 tonne) rather than a proper truck chassis and a Winnebago seems to get peoples attention because pretty much everyone in The UK or Europe equates Winnebago to an American RV, as it's such an iconic brand.

Maybe we should start charging 10 bucks for a 15 minute tour
I have to admit that I would love to RV around Great Britain. There is so much to see and do, and so many ancient sites to wander around. I have been there many times but mostly only got to see some of the sites in southern England, which left all of the midlands, northern England, Wales and Scotland for me yet to see.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
Boldero, is your Vista modified for UK power hookup?

Indeed it is, the whole of the UK and Europe are not quite up to the power levels of sites in the US, but most of the UK sites are 16 amp and the lowest we have come across in Europe is 6 amp in which case we turn things off before we turn anything else on if we are using heaters etc on if we are boiling a kettle
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I have to admit that I would love to RV around Great Britain. There is so much to see and do, and so many ancient sites to wander around. I have been there many times but mostly only got to see some of the sites in southern England, which left all of the midlands, northern England, Wales and Scotland for me yet to see.

It's a lot of fun and I would wholeheartedy recommend it, the north of England and Scotland have some amazing places to see and visit, and as so many of us can trace our roots back it's a great place to come too, almost feels like home but in a totally different way, plus its a big bonus that they speak the same language as us
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 847
Do you use a converter in order to handle the 240v/50hz supply? A 16 amp supply at 240v be roughly equivalent to a 30 amp supply at 120v here, which is our most commonly available supply.
__________________
Bob C
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
W20 Chassis
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
Veteran RV Owner
 
armullis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 53
Blog Entries: 1
Well, we have 50 amp and 30 amp for the majority of our RV parks here stateside. Some "pop-up" trailers use 20 amp. When my Adventurer is plugged into 30 amp (versus 50amp), I can use only one of two A/C's, and the A/C running has to be turned off before I can use the microwave. Power management! Nothing like Europe though......
__________________
Arthur & Sheila Mullis and "Cam" the Kitty
Driving 2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
Towing 2018 Ford Explorer 4x4 Platinum
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldero View Post
plus its a big bonus that they speak the same language as us
Well, almost the same language.

I spent 8 months there and got myself into some issues due to differences in the languages. What is it Oscar Wilde said about the US and the UK being two nations separated by a common language?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Do you use a converter in order to handle the 240v/50hz supply? A 16 amp supply at 240v be roughly equivalent to a 30 amp supply at 120v here, which is our most commonly available supply.

Our Vista was fitted with a locker converter to handle the different voltage in Europe when it was imported, so we can use 3 pin UK electrical appliances, its not a cheap conversion, but it has to be done. The tv still runs off a seperate converter as it would have meant replacing the tv and a converter is the cheaper option than replacing it in situ.
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
Well, we have 50 amp and 30 amp for the majority of our RV parks here stateside. Some "pop-up" trailers use 20 amp. When my Adventurer is plugged into 30 amp (versus 50amp), I can use only one of two A/C's, and the A/C running has to be turned off before I can use the microwave. Power management! Nothing like Europe though......

Yeah power management can be a pita at times over here but just arriving at a site, hitting a button to extend the slides and jacks and cracking open an ice cold beer makes it all worthwhile
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Well, almost the same language.

I spent 8 months there and got myself into some issues due to differences in the languages. What is it Oscar Wilde said about the US and the UK being two nations separated by a common language?

There are so many accents over here I'm not surprised, there's another saying that applies, 'As soon as an englishman opens his mouth he will make any enemy'
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.