Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Old Dirt Biker

First post on forum

I just signed up a few minutes ago, so time to do a short intro...

We just bought a 33 ft 1999 Winnebago SunFlyer from the original owner, who has now transitioned to assisted living. The unit was stored for the past year, so it had a few minor issues. This being our first motorhome, I wasn't familiar with many of the onboard systems, but dove in there anyway and after nearly two weeks, everything is up and running as far as I know. We had picked two spots near our home (southwestern Idaho) for our initial outing, but both of them were having wildfires so we'll wait until Mother Nature backs off a bit.

We've had two toy-haulers in the past, but eventually got tired of living with all the gas/oil/mud smells and decided to get something a little more comfortable....thus the Winnie. We'll still be towing a trailer for the 'toys' most of the time.

As for me.... I retired from the US Navy Submarine Service after 22 years service. The travel bug was still biting me, so I joined the US Dept of State Foreign Service (Diplomatic Corps) and spent the next 20 years moving from embassy to embassy in various parts of the world. Since the Foreign Service has a mandatory retirement age of 65, in 2011 we retired to Nampa, ID, a smallish town just outside Boise.

My primary hobby has always been motorcycles of all types. I gave up street bikes a few years ago due to the number of inattentive drivers out there chatting, texting, eating/drinking, yelling at their kids, or just completely zoned out. I am still very active in off-road riding and racing though. I regularly compete in vintage motocross races up and down the west coast. The series is for old bikes (1974 and earlier) and older riders (classes for over-50, over-60, and over-70 age riders). It's great fun....until you fall down!

Cheers,

Mac
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome, sounds like you’re doing fine. Diving in there is a great way to learn.

Lots of great RVing in your area. We lived in Jackson, WY when we started RVing and camped all over Idaho.

Enjoy!

Tags
forum