Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cummins Canada can not supply parts

I have my Onan generator in for repair. It needs new brushes. Cummins Canada are unable to supply parts. Now the generator repair centre needs to find parts in the USA. So anyone buying a motorhome in Canada, be aware that you may have to go to the USA to have an Onan generator repaired.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can the parts be shipped from the US to CAN?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the Onan dealer has to bring the parts in from the USA. We can not get the generator back until after labour day. I would have been faster to travel to the United States to have the generator rebuilt. Too bad there are not other generators to mount in the same location and function other the inside controls. I am not impressed with Onan generators. This one is only five years old. The first problem was a valve keeper came off. The keeper had to be replaced with a used part.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Wow, I have had 3 rv's with Onan generators and I have never had a problem with any of them. I'm very surprised to hear you are having problems. Guess stuff happens. I guess you will not be boon-docking until after the holiday.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We didn’t have a problem with our last Onan generator in our previous motorhome. I am suspicious that Winnebago put in a refurbished generator in as a cost cutting measure. In our to remove the valve cover, heat had to be applied and a big rubber mallet was used to remove the cover.

Tags
ada, cummins, parts