Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cruise control does not work

We have a 2005 Winnie Sightseer, Ford F53 6.8L V10 and when we purchased used the cruise control did not work. Our mechanic has replaced master cylinder and a couple of the other parts, we still cannot get it to work. Has anyone had this problem. We also think it is causing the motor to shut down while driving since it happens since the cruise was worked on. thank you, we love our Winnie and would like to use it safely soon.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would take it back until they fixed it properly and would not use the cruise control until it was fixed. Lots of things could cause it one being something was installed wrong or not connected or wired wrong.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

'04 or '06 F53 chassis? Big difference in the cruise systems...

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran RV Owner

I trust someone has checked fuses?
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem. CC would not engage (as indicated by the green dash icon) or would randomly drop out. It seemed to happen on rough roads.

Some on-line research suggested that a washer/spacer at the top of the brake peddle shaft could be missing or damaged.

We found that taping/kicking the side of the brake peddle would allow us to engage the CC (but not stop the drop out on rough roads).
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

2004 f53.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes, thanks
Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes we checked that, it did not seem to be a problem. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

OK, same as mine. I've had a few issues with my cruise.

So fuses are good. I assume the horn works? (The horn shares one of the wires in the steering wheel.)

The servo/module is very close to your right foot when you are pedal. I can hear a relay clunk from that area when I engage it. When my cable broke, I could still hear the clunk, but no cruise. Do you hear a clunk? Did you ever?

It's pretty easy to pull the steering wheel cover and check the wiring for the switches. One of the connectors would just slide right apart, there was no lock. It would shut off on bumps until I used small zip tie to hold it together.

The servo/module is a bit hard to get to. With the wiring diagrams you can check for the right functions at the connector to it, but that isn't something everyone is familiar with doing. If you're up to doing that, you can also hook up a light at that connector (or use the one already in the dash) and run the built in self test. Other Ford Trucks have the light in the cluster and have the self test instructions in their manuals, which you can find online.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your response we have never heard a clunk when we tried to engage the cruise control we will check out the steering column suggestion thanks again