Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

This is called MAP pricing...minimum advertised price which the MFR. Controls. You CAN see lower than list pricing on OLDER (2013 etc.) models that are no longer current in the line AND on mfr specials like the recent Vista 26HE promo for $69,999.
Other than that...what you see on line should be what you see on the sticker.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Update: I have now received three quotes from dealers with strong internet presence. Their quotes have all been in the range of 23-to-24% off MSRP. This is excellent news to us and we will order a new motorhome in January with pickup in March. Thanks for your help everyone! There is a learning curve to this process and you helped us out!
Cruizer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Don't forget to look at a leftover. Same warranty and sometimes you can save big bucks. Keep checking on the net and see what dealers are discounting these. If your not in a hurry this may help however be prepared to jump on one if the price is right.
mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

Rather than spending money then finding out you don't like the product try renting first. We rented several motorhomes ( both class A and class C) before we made our first purchase. It was an education at a less expensive price. We quickly found out which features were necessary and which ones we weren't interested in.

It made buying our first motorhome easier. We already knew what we wanted and what we could live without. The salesman wasn't going to talk us into options we didn't want, and we weren't going to buy something that didn't offer the things we thought were necessary.
Second that. rent, borrow, or beg but try before you buy.
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

As the owner of six motorhomes in the past, I would recommend that you look at the used market first and do some shopping, none of it in a hurry. Look at Ebay and several of the online sites. I have purchased one new, one from a used dealer and the others all off of Ebay. Just make sure that you do a thorough inspection yourself before buying. If you do not feel qualified, take someone with you that is qualified.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

One item we did when we were shopping for our Winnebago was we met with the Winnebago Regional Sales Rep at one of the RV Expos. He emailed me a price list for the model we were interested in, which included all the options. I used a spreadsheet to choose what we wanted and then used that to compare that to units on their lot or if we needed to order one. The dealer was like the ones people have mentioned in this thread, the price we agreed to was 25% off list.
seas2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
I agree with all the above posts but would like to add one if you want to buy new and that is go to a Camping World/Good Sam Rally and you can see the new model year coaches plus show prices are usually very good. I just bought a 2014 Adventurer 35 footer and got a great deal plus they also give you a lot of extra perks.

There is one thing I would like to mention to you as this coach is my fourth Winnebago is the factory tour in Forest City, Iowa is a must and their service there is super. Also the standard features on a Winnebago are great and you should go to their website: www.winnebagoind.com for more info. After you purchase a Winnebago you can also download the diagrams and the exact parts list for your rv.

I know I'm prejudiced about Winnebago but still believe they build a fine motorhome plus they have been doing it for a long time and practice makes perfect.

GOOD LUCK!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I know I'm prejudiced about Winnebago but still believe they build a fine motorhome plus they have been doing it for a long time and practice makes perfect.

GOOD LUCK!

Up to recently I did agree with you. Now my thoughts and loyalty are being challenged because of what I am seeing for issues with new Winnebagos and Itascas. At this very moment I am waiting for volunteers to join me in their brand new Winnebago. This is their shakedown voyage. They are three days late at this time because of problems and delays at dealers along the way. The issues are often quality control in nature and are service affecting.

Just this morning I noticed a bottom panel drooping from one of the cabinets. This is the second cabinet to have this problem. It is one of the many quality control issues I have found with this coach since we bought it in May.

I hope the Winnebago Industries continues. They will if all of the competitors quality control issues remain worse than theirs. But that is a bad place for future buyers to be in. If across the industry quality control continues to falter, what is the future for the industry as a whole? Will entry level and mid-class coaches go the way of the dodo?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Price is only part of the equation. A good price from a dealer with poor service is no bargain. These are complex vehicles so you want a dealer you can rely on.

I think you will be hard pressed to find 30% off deals on new unless you live in the Northern US, its winter and the dealer wants to move it - also if the color combo is unusual.

We bought a one year old model for almost 50% off list price. It was like new with only 7K miles. It was an unusual situation in that the dealer had sold it to the original buyer and bought it back from them when the man became ill. As a result we had the entire service history. This revealed the other advantage for buying used. A number of the bugs appear to have been worked out of the coach by the previous owner.

From my research I think Winnebago is the best - hence you don't see a lot of price competition. The other advantage buying Winnebago is you can get parts for years to come and service is available all over the place - not so with some other brands. An important consideration when you are on the road.

Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

The major question about service departments on most of the RVs, big or small, driven or pulled, Winne or not, is are you going to get it fixed correctly? All of the service departments I have dealt with have been a problem, except for one and the factory. I have been down right lied to about repairs being completed. In my opinion, make your best deal and then RUN. Don't expect good service but do insist that the problem be fixed in a timely manner. Once the rig is in the shop call and visit often. Sometimes getting to know the personal in a positive light helps to put a 'care factor' into the work.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
The major question about service departments on most of the RVs, big or small, driven or pulled, Winne or not, is are you going to get it fixed correctly? All of the service departments I have dealt with have been a problem, except for one and the factory. I have been down right lied to about repairs being completed. In my opinion, make your best deal and then RUN. Don't expect good service but do insist that the problem be fixed in a timely manner. Once the rig is in the shop call and visit often. Sometimes getting to know the personal in a positive light helps to put a 'care factor' into the work.

Happy trails,
Rick
Your experience is unfortunate. You have to look at the reputation and qualifications for the dealer service department. My experience to date has been very good with the dealer we purchased from. The dealer has received Winnebago's top service excellence award each year for the last 15 years. This should be an indication of their competence.

Finally this dealer has been ranked in independent surveys as the #1 dealer in the state not only in terms of Sales but also for Service. I think that indicates a lot of people are happy.

Not everyone has a dealer with a good reputation near them. I suppose if all other things are equal go with price but I would be very uneasy purchasing one of these rigs off the internet from an unknown entity that I could not go back to if there were problems. These vehicles are very complex. Where do you go if you have problems with one of these internet purchases? For many people its not feasible to go to the factory in Iowa.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
Price is only part of the equation. A good price from a dealer with poor service is no bargain. These are complex vehicles so you want a dealer you can rely on.

I think you will be hard pressed to find 30% off deals on new unless you live in the Northern US, its winter and the dealer wants to move it - also if the color combo is unusual.

We bought a one year old model for almost 50% off list price. It was like new with only 7K miles. It was an unusual situation in that the dealer had sold it to the original buyer and bought it back from them when the man became ill. As a result we had the entire service history. This revealed the other advantage for buying used. A number of the bugs appear to have been worked out of the coach by the previous owner.

From my research I think Winnebago is the best - hence you don't see a lot of price competition. The other advantage buying Winnebago is you can get parts for years to come and service is available all over the place - not so with some other brands. An important consideration when you are on the road.

Good Luck!
I have an 2012 Journey 40U advertised in the classified section on this forum. After you find that you cannot get the deal that this poster received and you want to buy a well maintained excellent Winnebago take a look at mine and see if we can work out a deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Nova 42q, please tell us the name of your service dealer. I full-time. I need service from time to time as I travel. I am not fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go to the dealer with the best reputation. I often hope that the dealer I go to can fix the problem. I have been to dealers in many states that have ALL of the top awards posted on their wall just to come away very disappointed and two or three thousand dollars poorer. I won't go into detail because of time. One was a simple request that the service writer promised would be corrected.

I had been trying to get a leak in the bed slide roof fixed. This was many dealers later and a few years down the road when we discovered mold in the head liner. We went to a Winnebago top rated dealer in Everett, WA. We were promised it would be fixed and water tested. Prior to picking up the coach after the repairs, I arranged for a water leak test. When I arrived at the dealer I was told they could not and would not test it "again". Reluctantly I payed for the service. That night we had water dripping on us, the mold was still there and the job was not done again! I called the factory service center. We drove over 1000 to get there. They rebuilt the slide roof and charged part of the bill back to the dealer. This is only one of many problems I have experienced with my '05 Vectra. I hope to avoid such in this new to me.

Please be kind and tell us all the name and location of your great dealer. I need to put it in my file for future reference. As I have stated previously. Good, trustworthy dealers are like identical triplets. Very rare.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Nova 42q, please tell us the name of your service dealer. I full-time. I need service from time to time as I travel. I am not fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go to the dealer with the best reputation. I often hope that the dealer I go to can fix the problem. I have been to dealers in many states that have ALL of the top awards posted on their wall just to come away very disappointed and two or three thousand dollars poorer. I won't go into detail because of time. One was a simple request that the service writer promised would be corrected.

I had been trying to get a leak in the bed slide roof fixed. This was many dealers later and a few years down the road when we discovered mold in the head liner. We went to a Winnebago top rated dealer in Everett, WA. We were promised it would be fixed and water tested. Prior to picking up the coach after the repairs, I arranged for a water leak test. When I arrived at the dealer I was told they could not and would not test it "again". Reluctantly I payed for the service. That night we had water dripping on us, the mold was still there and the job was not done again! I called the factory service center. We drove over 1000 to get there. They rebuilt the slide roof and charged part of the bill back to the dealer. This is only one of many problems I have experienced with my '05 Vectra. I hope to avoid such in this new to me.

Please be kind and tell us all the name and location of your great dealer. I need to put it in my file for future reference. As I have stated previously. Good, trustworthy dealers are like identical triplets. Very rare.
The dealer I have been working with is Beckley's in Thurmont, MD. Hopefully its not one you have had a bad experience with.

Tags
newbie, winnebago