Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

While airing up our new 06 Meridian to leave the campsite I heard a loud bang noise. At first, I thought it was the air bags caught something but what? So, my neighbor at the campsite said try starting the coach and let it air up before you retract the jacks. This should eliminate the noise which he claims happens because the bags get caught when airing up. What was this guy talking about? I have always on my previous coaches retracted the jacks then air up the coach. Am I wrong and has anyone else had this loud bang noise while airing up? Thanks everyone.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

While airing up our new 06 Meridian to leave the campsite I heard a loud bang noise. At first, I thought it was the air bags caught something but what? So, my neighbor at the campsite said try starting the coach and let it air up before you retract the jacks. This should eliminate the noise which he claims happens because the bags get caught when airing up. What was this guy talking about? I have always on my previous coaches retracted the jacks then air up the coach. Am I wrong and has anyone else had this loud bang noise while airing up? Thanks everyone.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The "bang" was most likely one of your leveling jacks. When I dump the air on my coach, it creeps forward apx 6". If I start the coach and leave it running very long before retracting the jacks, or if it has shifted just a little one direction or the other, I will get a "bang" from one or more jacks as they pop out of the bind and start retracting. Mine have made a "bang" several times, but still work just fine.

I see no way a bag could make a bang noise by "getting caught on something" or in any other way as the air bags are rubber. But you leveling jacks are steel, and have very strong springs attached to them. They will make banging noises under the right conditions ...normally nothing to worry about.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Me too! I have had this happen a few times while the air bags are inflating. I do not know the cause. I thought possibly it was a leaf spring adjusting it's position as the body moved. It is a loud single bang. 2006 36G Meridian.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've also occasionally heard a loud bang or thump when the front bags inflate. This occurs after the jacks have retracted and during inflation of the bags. If you look at the deflated bags, you can see they develop folds. I think you may hear the bags 'unfolding' as they inflate against the weight of the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to a previous discussion that sounds like the same thing. I've only experienced it a couple of times in two and a half years of use. It sure gets your attention when it happens.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I would say based on the former link provided and everyones input you have nailed down the noise. Thanks all and sorry that link did not come up on my search before I posted but neverless, I am grateful to all of you. I feel much better knowing what it is.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

fun time --

Please do not apologize, as I also did not see the prior posts, and now I know that if I hear that sound, I will not 'hit the deck'.

Thanks again!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote