Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

This is the second part of the saga about the issues that I have been experiencing with my new Itasca. The list of issues is long but, as I am finding out, not too far from the norm for many people. The purpose for posting here (aside from having an excuse for getting my post count up) is to share with other MH owners or those considering a new MH my experience with my dealer's (Lazy Days) service department.

Here is the list from this installment:

1) Shower fixture mounting hardware needed to be replaced. The sliding bar was scratched and the shower head kept sliding down. (resolved)

2) The EMS power board failed and need to be replaced. It would not recognize when I was connected to 50 Amp. (resolved)

3) The bathroom blind was missing the hold down hardware. Parts were likely taken for another coach. (resolved)

4) Pocket door was warped. Replaced.

5) Leading edge window on front slide (still) leaking. When Wilma went through the previous window repair didn't hold up. Additional sealant was applied. Its seems water tight now.

6) Rear slide leaks at bottom. This is also their 2nd attempt to fix. Now they say there is an Engineering Change to the slide seal. The replacement parts are on order. Stay tuned for part three.

7) Keyless entry FOBs don't work. Second attempt to fix this. This time they ordered a replacement electronics module.

8) CO2 detector, toilet water solenoid, and ref breaker would trip when the coach would rock while driving. They found a wire getting pinched by the slide X-Arms. They rewired the water valve. (resolved)

9) Kitchen sliding cabinette would not lock in the closed position. There are a few of these locking rams on this coach that have give me problems. Basically, the cables that go to the locking mechanism needed to be adjusted in each case. The one on the TV was locked closed and the place to adjust it was behing the TV. The kitchen cabinette only needed minor disassembly to reach the adjustment. (resolved)

I have made an good effort to give my dealer the chance to resolve these issues on their terms. That is, I don't put unreasonable time constraints on them. Many well intentioned people's advice has been to demand this or that.

With this last go round it seems we have turned a corner. If the rear slide leak and the keyless entry get fixed I will be a happy camper.

My only observation while at Lazy Days was that the large majority of the class A's in for service were from a particular brand. I won't mention the brand here, but I was surprised. I will say that they weren't that many Winnies in there. It could just be that they sell more of that brand then any other.

Anyone want to guess?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

This is the second part of the saga about the issues that I have been experiencing with my new Itasca. The list of issues is long but, as I am finding out, not too far from the norm for many people. The purpose for posting here (aside from having an excuse for getting my post count up) is to share with other MH owners or those considering a new MH my experience with my dealer's (Lazy Days) service department.

Here is the list from this installment:

1) Shower fixture mounting hardware needed to be replaced. The sliding bar was scratched and the shower head kept sliding down. (resolved)

2) The EMS power board failed and need to be replaced. It would not recognize when I was connected to 50 Amp. (resolved)

3) The bathroom blind was missing the hold down hardware. Parts were likely taken for another coach. (resolved)

4) Pocket door was warped. Replaced.

5) Leading edge window on front slide (still) leaking. When Wilma went through the previous window repair didn't hold up. Additional sealant was applied. Its seems water tight now.

6) Rear slide leaks at bottom. This is also their 2nd attempt to fix. Now they say there is an Engineering Change to the slide seal. The replacement parts are on order. Stay tuned for part three.

7) Keyless entry FOBs don't work. Second attempt to fix this. This time they ordered a replacement electronics module.

8) CO2 detector, toilet water solenoid, and ref breaker would trip when the coach would rock while driving. They found a wire getting pinched by the slide X-Arms. They rewired the water valve. (resolved)

9) Kitchen sliding cabinette would not lock in the closed position. There are a few of these locking rams on this coach that have give me problems. Basically, the cables that go to the locking mechanism needed to be adjusted in each case. The one on the TV was locked closed and the place to adjust it was behing the TV. The kitchen cabinette only needed minor disassembly to reach the adjustment. (resolved)

I have made an good effort to give my dealer the chance to resolve these issues on their terms. That is, I don't put unreasonable time constraints on them. Many well intentioned people's advice has been to demand this or that.

With this last go round it seems we have turned a corner. If the rear slide leak and the keyless entry get fixed I will be a happy camper.

My only observation while at Lazy Days was that the large majority of the class A's in for service were from a particular brand. I won't mention the brand here, but I was surprised. I will say that they weren't that many Winnies in there. It could just be that they sell more of that brand then any other.

Anyone want to guess?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Fancy meeting you here....

First of all, my Lazy Days guess is.....Monaco

I've read they're changing the slide seals as a "fix" to the leak problem, I hope my new one already has the retrofit...

My buddy had the same issue with the fobs in his '04 Journey,they replaced the module as well.

Hang in there!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Resguy,

I have the same coach. Here's my experience related to your numbered problems:

4. My bedroom pocket door kept slamming closed when I turned a corner. The latch would not hold the door. While I waited on a replacement latch the door eventually was damaged and the entire door was replaced. Winnie has a new latch design that resolved the problem.

6. Not sure about my slide since I have not been in a downpour yet.

7. Keyless entry did not work from the start. Key fobs did work. After 6 months of continuously working with the dealer and Winnie the module was replaced and fixed the problem.

Also three of the four leveling jacks have required modifications, either the jacks replaced or heavier springs. HWH was great to deal with and the dealer installed the parts.

Rex
LK23
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Richard - good for you hanging in there! Exactly my philosophy of expecting to have problems in something this complicated; you just work through them until the list disappears. When you get everything fixed, then you will have a great trade-in

We are off to Lazy Days next Monday to address the bedroom slide leak - interesting there is now an engineering change to the slide. This has been our "thorn in the side" since the coach was new. We also had a leak in the driver's side LR slide front window - as a temporary fix I just added a tiny bead of silicon around the top of the frame. I'll have Winne pull the window when we are at Forest City next spring.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John, I've noticed you are very good at documentation and pictures. I enjoy reading your accounts so much that I look forward to seeing new ones you post. So I ask, if it's at all possible to get pics of your slide fix next week to share with us, please do so. Perhaps Lazy Days won't let you in the service area, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've read some previous posts that indicated the complete slide had to be pulled off the coach... That would make for some great pics, showing what it should slide upon, where multiple seals are located, the new 'fix', etcetera...
I would think there'd be lotsa Winnie owners interested in just how their slide works, what a bad seal looks like, and what's involved to fix something with the mechanism.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Turning The Corner????I thought I was turning the corner 3 yrs ago. But I am still turning the corner. I hope the problems do not continue at the usual rate. The list never disappears. Goog Luck!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
Turning The Corner????I thought I was turning the corner 3 yrs ago. But I am still turning the corner. I hope the problems do not continue at the usual rate. The list never disappears. Goog Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My corner is actually a circle; always turning. It's a plot to keep us busy.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
John, I've noticed you are very good at documentation and pictures. I enjoy reading your accounts so much that I look forward to seeing new ones you post. So I ask, if it's at all possible to get pics of your slide fix next week to share with us, please do so. Perhaps Lazy Days won't let you in the service area, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - I'll give it a shot. We can apparently spend the night in the coach while it is in the service bay - if I heard correctly they have hookups there At any rate it will be good to get the coach on the road and exercised; maybe we will even get our problem resolved!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

They have power and they level your coach while in the bay (slides out). You can sleep in your coach at night while it is in for service. Depending on how tight they want to follow the regulations you may even be allowed to be there while they do the work. Make sure you have empty grey and black tanks and plenty to fresh water for showers.

On the original "working out the bugs" post I got to know the techs and was able to hang around a little. On the second go around this time a different tech told me that I could not be around while he worked on the coach.

I'm not sure about taking pictures.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll have Winne pull the window when we are at Forest City next spring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While you are at LD you may want to give them a chance at this. So far I have been impressed with their ability to resolve issues.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If there's one thing that I have learned through "working out the bugs" is that if/when I ever buy another new coach I will make sure I figure in the cost of driving back and forth to the dealership for repairs. Although the list keeps getting smaller, its just a pain to keep having to take it back in. I have not experienced the slide leak as some of you have. Do any of you know if this is a recall item. Things that I have had to get repaired are:
1)Roof vents from Max Air. Finally received two new rubber seals that seems to have resolved the problem.
2)Closet door latch was replaced twice.
3)Replaced the radio as the remote controls would not work.
4)Front door rattle fixed.
5)Replaced remotes for door/compartment locks.
6)Left rear jack does not retract all the way. Currently in for repair.
7)Clearance lights not working. Currently in for repair.
8)House batteries overcharged and boiled over and does not hold charge. Currently in for repair.
Thankfully nothing major but just a pain in the you know what having to keep taking it back for repairs.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Woody,

What problems did you have with the roof vents? Were they sticking closed? And did new seals fix them?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We just bought our preowned MH 2 months ago and so far the only problems we have experienced are our battery tray slide mechanism is not working properly on the right side and the tray begins sagging the more I try to pull it out. Also, our carpet gets slightly damp around the bottom corners of each slide if extended during a rainstorm. If I level the MH tilted ever so slightly towards the slide side, the rugs stay dry. I looked at the seals, and see how their design creates a tiny gap at the bottom corners. Is this the symptom which the Engineering Change addresses?

Otherwise, there have been no other problems during our short trips and we love our coach. We are getting ready to head off next week for a six month (+) trip across country (staying warm, of course), so we'll find out if there are any other problems during our shakedown cruise.

This forum is great and we appreciate all of the great ideas and help found here!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

LK23 & Others, Yes the vent lids were sticking which the dealership tried on more than one occassion to put some lubricant on them to no avail. I have not had any further sticking after replacing the rubber gaskets with the ones from Fantastic. The motorized vents work properly now.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">after replacing the rubber gaskets with the ones from Fantastic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a source for those?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:28 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Fantastic is nothing less than "fantastic" to work with....Call or email them and explain your problem, wouldn't surprise me to find they'll send the seals to you from factory.

Email Fantastic Vent at [email protected]

Fantastic Vent Tech Support Numbers-
Bob Beratta 800-521-0298
Steve Milks Jr 800-521-0298
Larry Milks 800-521-0298
Karin Florida 800-521-0298
Shelley Dunbar 800-521-0298
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

You can call Fantastic at 1-800-521-0298. They will mail you the replacement gaskets free of charge.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We've been working out the bugs since 9-10-04.

The factory has worked on the bedroom slide three, each time lasted at least three to four days. They installed the new double wiper seal and it still leaks. Ours leaks at the bottom of the slide. Presently our solution is to tilt the coach during a rain storm. The A&E awning folks told Winnebago that they should be putting longer toppers awnings on (minimun 3" on both ends).

Keyless entry was replaced totally.
Good luck
starchy is offline   Reply With Quote