Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Working on a new awning....

The 2002 awning had 'retired' years prior ..crackly, old plastic crapus. So I got some new plastic crapus - a mesh instead.

What a PITA to put it on by yourself! I had to rig block-and-tackle to create an invisible helper on the other end at the top. (thank's YouTube for the instructions!) I also did not take enough windings to allow it to fully retract ...no worries, it's got to come off.

I knew a the start, the selvedge ends were rolling up like a window shade. I sewed some 3" tape to see if I could settle it down, to no effect. There was no way to control the stretch. It may be one reason you see this mesh in those new 'tension awnings' that look like triangles suspended by tightropes.

Luckily, sort of, this piece they sent had cuts in it so they had to send me a new one. I can learn on this one and then hopefully make one that did not look like it got pulled out of a Mumbai landfill.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

....'not sure the pics loaded?! (Ah.. I 'chose' but did not upload)

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awn1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	653.1 KB
ID:	170021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awn2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	700.4 KB
ID:	170022  

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Looks good from here, Jim.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Sarah. Houston is about the right distance to see this at the moment... I have learned a lot. Clearly, it would be 100% easier with more predictable results if started with fabric that is stable X & Y. I just don't much like 50's era tablecloth material.

I thought an internal radius would take out some of the cupping, but the mesh still loosens up when you cut it. I used a small torch to sear the edges, but they are still loose. Perhaps sewing a narrow tape along the cut line before cutting would reduce it. Certainly, a leech or foot line sailmakers use to keep sails from flapping would do it but overly complicated.

I still like the concept. I have some black mesh that is a little stiffer, but this casts a nice blue light ..and you can look up*. I am waiting for a storm cell lurking in the area to see how it handles the wind/rain.

Jim

*and see the trees in the picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AWN3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	674.4 KB
ID:	170026   Click image for larger version

Name:	AWN4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	611.9 KB
ID:	170027  

Name:	AWN5.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	713.8 KB
ID:	170028  
Old 07-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

A man with a plan. I like it. (Are you an engineer?? )
Old 07-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Nice of you to think that, Sarah... I was qualified to load boxcars with 12x12 floor tile (likely asbestos!) with a crew of misfits in 1961 and quickly went off to the Army —as an alternative to that and/or getting a Ph.D. in Physics. I am a fiddler - everything is a potential project.

Jim
Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

v2. ...I wanted to make it a trapezoid (wider at the top than bottom) to take advantage that my upper track runs full length above the support arms. ...failing to consider that I need to wind it on the smaller bar. Being wide at the top is not helpful. ..another, 'lesson learned'.

I used a different mesh this time, one that appears far more open than the prior. Most people would think it still too bright under the tarp ...but, when you measure the lumens* outside -then underneath- there is an 80% reduction, even tho' it does not seem it.

At least these are getting easier to make.... By the time I'm proficient, I won't need the knowledge.

Jim

*there's a nice little app 'Light Meter' that gives you raw numbers not adjustments for old cameras.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BLKAWN1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	819.5 KB
ID:	170045   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLKAWN2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	721.2 KB
ID:	170046  

Old 07-31-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Looking good. The wife and I replaced the awning on our previous camper when it got old. We bought the replacement awning material on eBay. It was shockingly cheap, especially when you consider the price dealerships charge.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ya, Rod... I sorta understand dealer prices. I suspect there are a lot of folks in coaches a good bit younger than myself for whom doing what you did would be daunting. ...and, the other problem is that RV shops are like swimming pool dealers in Indiana. Their season is short and yet they have to carry both knowledge, muscle and real estate on their books for 12 months.

...but, maybe I'm getting like them. I put in our last dishwasher - this time I watched a tech take 3hrs to install our new KA. AND - (once I researched the right dealer and brands) I sent my wife alone to pick out the one she liked. ...'getting old. Cheers.

Jim
Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Round #..? I've made another blue one. Better, but still unable to control those side edges. It could have also been a tick wider.

What's interesting about the blue vs black is the nice glow you get. My wife thinks the blue is wrong against the rest of the colors on the coach, but it is very pleasant. I'd think Red would simply 'feel' hot.

I am also working on a side shade. (this is scrap cloth) I have been going to Assateaque Ntl. Seashore surfing for the last 30yrs and walk thru the campers to get to my favorite spot. I am paying more attention these days but can tell you it is nearly as hot there at 4pm as Noon and a conventional overhead awning does not help in many of the spots I see.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BluAwn1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	170056   Click image for larger version

Name:	BluAwn3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	961.9 KB
ID:	170057  

Old 08-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Nice. But if the wife doesn't like the blue... you know what you gotta do.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Naaa' Sarah. I'm no 'Lord of the Manor' ...but, she doesn't really care. This is my toy. The inside and the first 100' around the house is where she has her defensive perimeters established. Cheers.

Jim
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

There's a fair bit of light allowed thru the mesh as can be seen in the blue glow on the coach, but I was concerned that IR (heat) rays were also getting thru... Does not seem so/much.

It's hot/humid, and mostly sunny here today with nearly zero wind. The ambient temp at 2 pm is 96f. (35.5c) The ground outside the shaded area measured 106.7f (32.2c) ..under the awning: 89.9f (32.2c)

I added a drape with the extra cloth from the roll. It cannot be left on, as the awning is already quite thick as it reaches the top.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AWNdrape.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	571.6 KB
ID:	170084  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I've installed a few awnings always using the RV store fabric. You have much more patience than I have for sure. If it were me I'd ask my wife what color and what material then I'd go and install it, Job done!
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning