Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Work done at dealership

Had to get some small things fixed on the Winnebago and was looking at the bill and noticed they charged me 52.50 to check my air pressure in my tires.The inner deals are hard and they gave me a price on the extenders. Do you think this is a lot of money for the service or not.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like a lot for just checking the air in some tires.
BUT, how long would it take YOU to check the air in those tires, and what's their hourly shop rate? Did they charge you for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour? Does that length of time seem reasonable?

You said the inner duals are hard to get to, how hard? Did they have to pull the outer dual?

Personally I'd go for the extenders, I have them on mine, it's quick and easy for me to check the air in all the tires any time I get the urge (which seems to be every day before I start driving).
Old 06-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Where we live the tire chains will check your air for free, including the inner duals.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I store my coach for the winter and air them up to 100 pounds and then in the spring I let the extra out to 90 pounds for my 22.5 wheels and what Winnebago says it should be . Over the winter I found out I have cancer and I am not able to get down on the ground to check them .
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

That does seem a bit high. Dealers have a reputation for being at the upper end of the scale when it comes to labor charges. My tires were purchased from a west coast chain and they do a free check and inspection anytime I stop by.
Cuffemdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct78barnes View Post
I store my coach for the winter and air them up to 100 pounds and then in the spring I let the extra out to 90 pounds for my 22.5 wheels and what Winnebago says it should be . Over the winter I found out I have cancer and I am not able to get down on the ground to check them .
I use the Cat's Eye TPMS on my duals. It's easy to check the pressure in both duals just by walking past and glancing down. Lot's of semis use them. They also give you just one easily accessed point to air up both duals and they keep both duals at the same pressure. They have a check valve so that if one dual goes flat the other will keep it's pressure. I love 'em.
Cat's EyeŽ - Link
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

In May of 2014 I was having some service done at the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA. I asked them to check and air my tires. They charged me $55. Although this is official factory air service with real Iowa clean corn field air!

My normal truck service place here near Pittsburgh does it at no charge.

-Tom, W3TLN
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I check my own and my TPMS checks it every few minutes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I worked as an RV service advisor at a large RV sales and service center about 10 years ago. I was new at it and a time or two upon the customer's request I added to the work order: "Please provide complimentary air check on all tires".

In short order I was told by the techs that they are paid only for the work they bill for, and that checking the air on all six tires can take a quarter to a half hour depending on how difficult it is to access the inner duals.

These days major RV service centers in my area charge around $120 an hour, so you can see how checking the air can easily amount to a 30 to 60 dollar charge.

I that it was best to advise the customer drive their rig to a nearby Les Schwab Tire Center that specialized in motorhomes for a free air check. Most tire centers will provide free air check but many RV service centers wil charge.