Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Some tips.

When we got hit by a rock we stopped in the next town at a glass repair shop. For something like $45 they repaired it. I don't think it took much more than a half hour. Then we didn't have to worry about the chip turning into a crack.

Buy the self stick felt dots for the squeaks and rattles. Then one of you hunts them down and applies a felt dot to the needed place while the other drives. We also use the rubber texture drawer liners liberally between and under all items in cabinets. Driving the RV is now very quiet.

We like our carpet also. I use the self stick plastic carpet protector over it and leave it in all season. Doesn't leave a residue on the carpet and keeps it clean. We also have some throw carpets over the top of that and those can be taken out and thrown in the washer. To get the little rocks, dirt and dog hair up we use a battery operated stick vac.

Congrats on your new-to-you RV!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

My parents have a 2002 Journey, I have a Coachman. My parents had a similar issue with their heater that my dad & I troubleshot along with the techs at Tom Johnson's RV dealership.

The problem was that the heater would cycle on for 1 min 30 seconds then off for about 5 mins. Their bedroom would get very hot and the rest of the coach would stay cool. First thing we found was the intake for the heater was not a large enough opening as required by the manufacturer and Winnibago, so opened up the floor return and added a larger grill. This had some help but not enough. The final repair was replacing the heater. The burner tube inside the plenom had rusted thru and was allowing the flame to create hotspots on the Plenum which in turn had the temp sensor shutting off the fuel. There are other causes for poor heat circulation also, such as clogged air distribution ducts.
This is a nice coach and I wish you many happy travels with yours. There is no reason with a little tlc that you should not be happy with your choice of motor home.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
doc
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2000 Itasca Horizon with the squeak you mentioned near the entrance door. Drove me to the point of considering sell the coach. I got angry one day and started pushing and shoving and was able to duplicate the squeak. Turns out it was styrofoam against some surface in the wall where the support with the seatbelt for the passenger attaches. It took over an hour, but I disassembled the whole thing and was able to cover the styrofoam with (believe it or not -) DUCT TAPE !
The styrofoam rubbing together made a high pitched squeak that, as you said, would drive a cricket to distraction. The DT rubbing together does not squeak and after putting it all back together the squeak was gone.
The Horizon was/is a great coach and frankly we should have kept it rather than buying the new one - but it is gone :(
Enjoy your coach.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Let us know if what starts out as a simple windshield glass replacement turns into this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/pict...op-139918.html
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Well I took my coach in on the 15th of Oct. The shop manager called me a few days later said he'd get in the bay and winterize it the next day, and next week or the beginning of the following week he'd call me with a run down of everything.

The windshield certainly leaks, what I noticed when I was about to leave is that the seals on top looked to have slid down a bit and I could see the top edge of the glass of the window.

My insurance will cover the replacement less my $250 deductible. I am going to be checking/inspecting for the RUST that I have read about and the pictures I have seen. Should I find that, I'll be talking to my good friend who happens to be an attorney. Winneabgo has this problem and hasn't made an effort to correct it - there's a problem.

I'll update when I learn the scoop
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Oh yea, good luck with that on a 10 year old MH. This is why the US has too many lawyers.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #27

One thing to remember;;; As indecated by the Number of posts. Winnebago is the GMC. of motorhomes. They have nice Entry Leval coaches , and and also ;; They have. High line coaches that are Equal to the best . dollar for dollar;; We have owned 7 Coaches. 3 Winnebago; Own a High line deisel Winnebago now. They are the best. Join a Winnebago club. There is allways Coach Disscussion, Problems , and solution to problems/questions/ Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
Couple of price $$$ question, what is the cost to replace the windshield? And what was the cost to replace the springs on the jacks?

I have a 2001 newer to me Itasca Sucruciser, 32 V and my jacks are also very slow to work and the windshield has three chips and might start to crack.

I just replaced the original rear tires with Toyo245/70R19.5m-143 Low Profile tires, same as what the front tires were. I chose LES Schwab because they have many location along my traveled routes.

Also check/replacing all of the fluids, checking the fan belts, break inspection, front end alignment, and new Bilistine shocks.

So what have I missed mechanically?
Thats a good start. Check my sig, I also had the sepentine belt replaced, they power flushed the rear differential, and I had a brake service as I change the brade fluid every other year myself. My pads are 75 percent so they are good. 58000 miles on her. I prefer the Goodyears myself, that is just my preference.. I have a drip at the left side middle of the windshield. Just put a bucket on the dash during rain, It doesn't always leak, thats weird. Caulked the outside lights,and top of the windshield. removed the inside molding plastic piece and see the drip in the middle of the windshield at times. I can not get her sealed up though. I have replaced 1 each front and rear HWH jack that did not retrac or was slow to retrac. Same old springs and they retrac as good as new. So it probably is not the springs its the jack itself.Great coach, good choice. Good luck with her.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

On the w/s pull the inside molding to see where the leak is coming from. It is likely you've got rust in some places around the w/s. You can pull the outside rubber molding and the track holding the molding in, next treat the area with some rust inhibitor. There's plenty of posts on this topic. Next put the molding back on and apply 3M Moisture Restistant, UV resistant tape 1 1/2" wide from the rubber molding at the top to the fiberglass. This will keep any water from working it's way in. Also try to park with the front slightly elevated, this forces all water to run towards the rear. This method does work.

As far as jacks, I just sent 3 off to HWH and had them rebuilt (~185 each and 2 weeks). A bit of work but I was tired of having to assist mine with a shovel and 2x4.
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

front windshield leak

here is our leak source - had it since brand new. Dealer pressure checked, resealed the whole coach top and still leaked. finally was able to see drops from the inside through the TV enclosure coming from the area behind the middle clearance light. pulled the lite and the lite itself was cracked allowing water to leak in the lens and back out the rear. unbelievable. replaced clearance light and presto... no more leaks. At least there. still looking for the one behind the drivers seat.... sometimes you just gotta laugh.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #31

From Experiance. The Clearance lights on top of the Front of the coach . Must be checked for leaks.. also The furnace must be run in cold weather, as it heats the basement and keeps it form freezing; An electric heater in the coach will NOT keep the Basement lines Lines from freezing; I learned this From our Snowmobiling days;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago