Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winter Storage II

Sorry about the title ....but it fits.

Anyway. I am new to the MH world having had TT's for 12 years. MH have "stuff" I need to understand that TT's didn't so I need the benefit of more experienced MH folks.
I store essentially inside actually under roof and enclosed on three sides.

So, do I need to be concerned about the MH setting for 6 months such that I would pick iy up and operate it for a couple of hours to :
a. keep tires from developing flat spots
b. Lubricate transmission and engine seals by driving the MH
c. Exercise the generator
d. Check the batteries, both house batteries and engine battery.

None of the above concerned me with the TT. I brought the battery home and put it on "Battery Minder" and put the TT in storage for the winter and never seemed to have a problem with the tires.

So any advice I can get will be helpful.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I was told by the truck shop that repairs my Itasca (they're RV'rs as well) that I should drive it (not idle it) every month or so and to make sure I drove far enough to get it up to operating temperature and cruising speed for fifteen minutes or so. I was also told to keep the fuel tank full. You'll also want to exercise your generator when you do this.

As far as your batteries are concerned, if you aren't going to be connected to power or solar, you want to make sure that they're disconnected from any "parasitic" loads (all those LEDS, alarms, etc.) Your house battery most likely has a disconnect switch but your coach battery may need to be disconnected. I'd suggest adding a battery post mounted switch to it. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as dealing with your TT batteries.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I forgot to mention that, although I haven't done it, you can run your generator while you're driving.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

With the Motorhomes we've had two gas and now diesel after winterizing the water system and adding Stabil to the fuel tank , now Biobor JF prior to the last drive, I hit the disconnect switches and see it again in Spring. Have never had an issue with any of the items you mentioned. Yes, batteries are left in it.

Stored in a dry Warehouse building with no electricity available. What works for me may cause you anxiety so please disregard what works for me. You reside in my area and we get "buried" in snow. There is no way it's going on the road, it's rusting enough underneath as it is.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Many people do the same as TarasParents... hit the power disconnect and say 'bye till spring. When we first got our motorhome, we did drive it once a month but we no longer bother. It sits in covered storage for as long as 4 months at a time without moving; no problem at all.

We faithfully exercise the generator (under load) at least every 6 weeks and change out the "DampRid" buckets that we leave inside to help remove humidity. We don't get snow and have mild winters, so we don't need to winterize.

We don't check the batteries in winter unless we're heading out on a trip. With cold temps and the power disconnected we don't see the need.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter