Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

We just (Sun) did a trek from Eastern NC to Richmond. We've been doing this a lot recently because of a new first Grand Son . On past trips, rarely saw another RV. Today, even though it was cold, saw them everywhere...you'd think Spring was coming!

What's relevant to this thread is the what we saw on the TOADS: they were caked in salt residue from stem to stern...it looked like the coaches were pulling a salt lick.

Spring is coming!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Just remember an RV is not an Automobile or SUV. Most cars and such have the chassis or unibody constructed of rust resistand or galvanized steel and then go through an immersion bath cleaning, priming and finishing process which yeilds a very pristine and rust resistant vehicle when it leaves the assembly line. An RV on the other hand is made from a partially finished chassis that is then fitted with mostly mild steels to make up the body platform and bin frames. These can't be immersion bathed without removing the engines, trannies, etc so they generally can't be as rust resistant.

I have recently shopped for a decent ten year old RV and I can safely say that there is a much greater amount of damage done to an RV than to an automobile driven on salted roads. Many people will be blissfully unaware because they trade them in before it really becomes apparent. I have reached under step and bin frames to grab fistfulls of rust from coaches that looked beautifull on the surface but were rotted to the point of being unroadworthy. They all had one thing in common they all came from Northern States where the roads were salted in the winter.

I believe so many end up being sold here in Florida because it is one of the states that does not have a mandatory vehicle safety inspection. If it did many of these coaches that I saw would not pass and then be marked for salvage.

If your coach is a disposable asset that you can afford to take a loss on from salt damage then it is up to you. Me I do take mine to the beach but not to the surf and I will not take it through the North during road salt season.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #23

Most UPS trucks use Freightliner Chassis....use these trucks for YEARS and YEARS in all types of snowy weather....no problems....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:18 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Most UPS trucks use Freightliner Chassis....use these trucks for YEARS and YEARS in all types of snowy weather....no problems.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what makes what I saw in the motorhomes so sad. The chassis Freightliner etc were all basically fine it was the lesser quality steels and coatings used by the motorhome builders to fabricate the floor trusses bins and other supports for the sidewalls that were gone to the point of structural collaps on so many Northern coaches.

At least I can avoid this as I live in the South and can take a rental Motorhome or Automobile if I was going to go up North during road salt season and leave my own salt free.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Bob RV,

I would only suspect that you will have a new diesel pusher before you begin to show any real signs of damage to your rig!
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R:
Bob RV,

I would only suspect that you will have a new diesel pusher before you begin to show any real signs of damage to your rig! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...agree here....we use ours all the time in the snow here in Colorado....no damage to any of our 3 motorhomes we have owned....wash the undercarriage off at your earliest convienience and no problems...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote