Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Valances

Does anyone know the magic to removing the valances around all the windows? I have a 2002 Adventurer 35U and I want to have all the valances recovered. I am just finishing replacing all the carpet with Allure wood (vinyl!) flooring and replacing the old worn out valances is next. Anyone ever done this?
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I removed them in one of our other coaches. The Valances are attached with angle brackets.
Look inside the valance at the window edge. Just unscrew the ones attached to the valance itself and the whole valance will come off. Leave the ones that are attached to the coach. Unless of course you are not going to reinstall a valance.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

There are only 2 angle brackets. One on each side down at the bottom of the valance. I cannot see how they are attached along the top of the window.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well, I answered my own question. I took some pictures and will post here in case someone else wants to remove the valances from a 2002 Adventurer 35U or similar.

First, start by removing the blinds. In our case, the blinds were yellow with nicotine so out they went!

Remove the string retainers at the bottom of the blinds (see picture).

Then lower the blinds and remove the 2 screws holding the blind to the top valance at each end (see picture). These screws are very hard to see as they are somewhat embedded in the material. They can only be seen from one side of the blind or the other (RV of the blind or the window side of the blind) so check both sides.

Then press on the clip (usually in the middle of the blind at the top) to release the blind.

Once the blind is down, remove the 3 or 4 screws from the top valance. they are very difficult to spot because they have embedded themselves in the material of the valance. They attach the valance to the cabinet above (see pictures). The top valance can now be removed.

The two side valances have a screw in the top and in the bottom holding the side valance to the wall of the RV. Remove these 4 screws and the 2 side valances can now be removed.

It is remarkable how much brighter the MH is with the valances removed!

We were going to have them re-upholstered but we are rethinking that now!

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw holding the string retainer.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	11325   Click image for larger version

Name:	screw holding blind.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	11326  

Name:	screw holding top valance - shown.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	11327   Click image for larger version

Name:	screw at the top valance.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	11328  

Name:	screw at top of side valance.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	586.9 KB
ID:	11329  
Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If you decide to not put the valances back up, will there be screw holes that show? How would you repair this? I have been thinking of removing ours too, but wanted to see what others have done so there are no ugly reminders of what was there before!

thanks!
michelle
luvmygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On ours the screws that held the valences to the top were along the back close to the window.
It doesn't really matter if you use the same holes or not if you use the same self drilling screws they did.
We did use try to the same holes though and pushed the screws part way through the holes. The fabric held them in place. With the valence in place I used an elecric screw driver and screwed them in.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Michelle, yes there will be holes visible if you don't replace the valances.

The holes can be filled with spackling compound (same as you would fill a small hole in the drywall of your home). Then a small dab of paint to match the wall paper over the compound once it dried.

We are planning on installing blinds again over the windows so most of the holes left by removing the valances will be hidden.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
On ours the screws that held the valences to the top were along the back close to the window.
It doesn't really matter if you use the same holes or not if you use the same self drilling screws they did.
We did use try to the same holes though and pushed the screws part way through the holes. The fabric held them in place. With the valence in place I used an elecric screw driver and screwed them in.
I would try to use the original holes if at all possible. If you take the factory tour you'll see they make small cut outs in the wall panel and install pieces of sheet metal wherever they screw anything to the wall. If you miss the sheet metal insert with the screw the only thing holding the valance in place will be the thin sheet of plywood under the wall covering
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I would try to use the original holes if at all possible. If you take the factory tour you'll see they make small cut outs in the wall panel and install pieces of sheet metal wherever they screw anything to the wall. If you miss the sheet metal insert with the screw the only thing holding the valance in place will be the thin sheet of plywood under the wall covering
As I said we did use the original holes. In this case it wouldn't matter though because the screws go into a piece of wood framing inside the false bottom of the cabinets above the valences.

The vertical parts of the valence are secured to the window framing behind the wall with L brackets and you would want to use the same holes for them. That's easy to do because they are easy to get to.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Revive an old thread! Have a window seal leaking at bottom of window in 2005 Adventurer 38J. Small window in the bathroom, just a small amount of water but drips down the wall. I have cleaned the drainage holes from the outside and can't see any form of blockage there. This window has the little mini blinds inside of valance, can't see how to remove the blinds to be able to get to the the screws for the valance. Once I get the valance off, I should be able to remove screws from the inside of the window to seperate the window and then reseal with the black sealant on the outside. Any hints and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Ralph
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

All I can really talk about is my 2002 Adventurer. Your newer model may be different. The blinds are attached with screws along the top. The screws are hard to see and may be on either side of the blind. You won't know until you look AND one may be on one side of the blind while the other is on the other side of the blind. Generally there are two screws, one at each end of the blind. then there is a clip in the middle of the blind.

By the way, I removed all my valances and I have never replaced them. We think it is much brighter without them!

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for info I will look when i get chance to go back to mh in storage. Will reply after. Have a family emergency now out of state could be awhile. Thanks Ralph

Tags
winnebago