Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Surplus Store

Hi,
I can't find a web site for the Winnebago Surplus Store in Forest City am I missing something? Is it still in business?
We stopped there in 2002 after visiting the factory and found a lot of neat stuff.
Thanks for your help, spring is on the way it will be 40 tomorrow in the Poconos.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Operation was terminated about a year or so back.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

what is the parts store east of Forest City about 15 miles, it looks to be open and has a large Winnebago parts sign out front?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You probably mean Lichtsinn Motors, look at the heading of this web site and you will see that they sponsor it. They have an outstanding parts delivery system.

As for the the surplus store it was always a highlite of going to GNR, but with the new CEO and the need reduce expenses it was closed. A very sad day.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hawkeye may be thinking about these folks located in Hanlontown. Not affiliated directly with Winnie.:
Winnebago Parts - Parts for all Winnebago motorhome makes, models, and years, including Itasca, Rialta, Eurovan - Specializing in the Renault based Winnebago LeSharo, Phasar, and Centauri Motorhomes
I stopped in last year during pre-GNR week, but they weren't open, and I haven't had a reason to contact them for any parts so far.
The Winnie Surplus Store is history, although during GNR they do bring some surplus stuff to the Winnie Store to sell, the selection offered is nothing like the store had.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mobility RV

Mobility RV in Hanlontown, IA sells all Winnebago parts like Lichtsinn Motors does and also buys up all the decals and stripes from Winnebago. I have used them as well as Lichtsinn Motors and find them both to be excellent parts suppliers.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Mobility RV in Hanlontown, IA sells all Winnebago parts like Lichtsinn Motors does and also buys up all the decals and stripes from Winnebago. I have used them as well as Lichtsinn Motors and find them both to be excellent parts suppliers.
I use these guys often. Always get great service and have never had to return the wrong part.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All, It is too bad that the Surplus Store has closed, that was a Highlight of ours for many years since we bought or Minnie Winnie and brought it for service at the Factory.
This was in 1986 before "Just in Time'" production, they had many overages that ended up in the Surplus Store. I understand it was a favorite of John Hanson the founder of Winnebago Ind. He owned a large Furniture/ Appliance store in Forest City before there was a Winnebago perhaps this was an extension for him. There used to be an incredible amount of Carpet and Upholstery, they even enlarged the store sometime in the 90s.
The other store with the LeSharo /Winnebago parts is near the I35 exit, we stopped there last year and were told that they are Wholesale only although they seemed to be almost closed?? A whole lot of older Renault based vehicles in the back.
Robert
Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Think the Winnebago Surplus store actually closed in early 2008 when times got tough. Much of the stock was sold to Jake's RV Surplus in Fairmont, MN. Fairmont is about 60 minutes NW of Forest City on the South side of I-90. The store is just East off the main North-South street in the middle of town. They have considerable stock and contiue to replenish - I have found lots of goodies there. They also have a web site if you search. Worth a trip or a telephone call for older hard to locate parts.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Jakes Rv Parts & Salvage - Home Page
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the information. I don't remember now if we were at Winnebago's store or one of the separate businesses since its been a long time.
I will look into this further.
Drive safely.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #12

It has allways been our highlight brousing the surplus store; Now it's gone. However as posted earler. Jakes puechased the right to all the surplus parts from Winnebago. www,jakesrvsalvage.com. They will have all the things Winnebago used to have;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote