Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Support

We own a 2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37f. We also have owned a 2003 Winnebago 31

I have always admired and referred friends and others to Winnebago because of the product quality and part availability.

Recently we had a vent window on our bedroom slide need replacement due to a seal failure. We had previously replaced the Rh vent several years ago same problem

I called Winnebago to order the replacement window from SEGI ( their sub for Windows) and was told that the window was discontinued and a new replacement was $1200. The vent window shipped several years ago was $150.
The vent window was part of the whole window

I called Winnebago and expressed my concern as to replacement parts not being available. The coach is 8 years old and I cannot get the part!! I was told that it was out of warranty. Let me be clear I was not making a warranty claim. Only trying to get and pay for a replacement part on a $184,000.00 motor home - 8 years old

Basically I was blown off telling me that this sometimes happens citing ac problems appliance problems etc

I feel betrayed by a company I touted as best for their customer service and part availability

Beware before you buy!!
RLTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Go to an auto glass shop. They can custom cut one and temper it and install for a lot less than that price. Had it done to a door glass on a Winnebago.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Very unfortunate. Sorry to hear your report.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

POOR Winnebago response to part request

Please see my initial post and below is the response from Winnebago
————————————————————————
We sincerely regret the circumstances you described. Customer satisfaction is a primary objective of Winnebago Industries and we try to make every attempt to ensure that our owners are satisfied. We recognize the importance of retaining customer confidence in us after the purchase

“It is unfortunate that this vent window is no longer available. Unfortunately, as this is a vendor supplied component, we are at the liberty of our vendors in regards to what they stock and how long they manufacture individual items.

We are sorry that we cannot meet your expectations at this time.

Kind Regards,
Angie”
————————————————————————-
This is in regards to a 184,00 dollar 8 year old coach
Old 06-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

So I suppose they are going to use that "vendor supplied part" excuse for every bolt and screw on the RVs now?? Lame.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Auto manufacturers also discontinue parts. It’s unfair to single out Winnebago from others.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Get glass coverage on your insurance. Most cover 100% glass. Opps, a bird hit it.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tell me any &184,000 car you cannot get a part for at 8 years old. Nonsense you must be a Winnebago exec
Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #9

The RV industry, RLTH, is driven by profit. That’s why....and the only reason why ...Berkshire Hathaway bought Forest River, for instantance.

Winnebago apparently determined it woundn’t make any money stockpiling “vent windows.” So they don’t. To quote Sherlock Holmes, “Elementary my dear Watson, elementary.” Follow Ranger Smith’s advice.

No, I never have worked for Winnebago. Again, similar to automobile manufacturers. My opinion isn’t a happy one...it’s factual.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ask your insurance company who they contract for RV glass repair or look for a local shop near you. Only windshields are stocked by anybody. I had to get a side window replaced on my Gulf Stream. (They are no longer in business.) A window contractor came out and made a cardboard copy of the window and in 4 week he came back and put it in. They made an exact match. Yours can be made also. Mine was a thermopane and cost a little over $800. Insurance paid 100%..
Old 06-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

RLTH--Well if you lived in Florida, I would recommend Sun Coast Designers in Hudson, as they repair or defog all RV glass and do a great job. As far as you Winnebago service complaint, I couldn't agree more. This is my third Winne and when the CEO became a man from California, things changed. When I used to go to Forest City years ago, I felt like they really wanted to solve my issues. Since I bought my current coach in 2007 a Suncruiser 38T (purchased new) and went to the factory in 2010, it was like how much money can we squeeze from this guy. I no longer go there for anything, and my coach is in better than new condition. But honestly, the whole RV industry has failed the consumer. Nobody seems to know anything and that is why I am keeping my 2007. Good luck with your glass.
Candoitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I doubt it'll happen, but the RV industry could really use some competition from auto mfrs.

Can you imagine a Ford or Honda motorhome?!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
I doubt it'll happen, but the RV industry could really use some competition from auto mfrs.

Can you imagine a Ford or Honda motorhome?!
Why yes, I can imagine a Ford motorhome. (In a manner of speaking!!)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Why yes, I can imagine a Ford motorhome. (In a manner of speaking!!)
Hi Sarah,

Is that because your Fleetwood is on a Ford chassis?

(I need extra help sometimes)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
Hi Sarah,

Is that because your Fleetwood is on a Ford chassis?

(I need extra help sometimes)
Yep. (Just messin' with ya. )
Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Yep. (Just messin' with ya. )
I know. At least I guessed right!

Sometimes I wish we had a Ford chassis. For us that would be the E350 or E450.

The Sprinter chassis has it's share of advantages, but the E350/450 is less complex; easier to get parts & service for; and has a higher GVWR & GCWR -- esp the E450.

I have to admit not knowing much about the larger rigs. We were originally looking at the Class B's, and then went to the E350/450 and Sprinter-based Class C's for more room. I never looked at larger Class C's or Class A's.

I now realize the "f" in f59 likely stands for Ford.

It takes me a while sometimes, but I catch on...
Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I apologize for the slight hi-jack of the thread.

Hopefully RLTH can get his window replaced without too much hassle.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
So I suppose they are going to use that "vendor supplied part" excuse for every bolt and screw on the RVs now?? Lame.
Sarah, that is the way of the world. You can say it is lame but it is an accurate portrayal of how things work and , yes, that is what will be used when a vendor supplied part is required. Vendors come and go and when there is no longer a demand for a part it is discontinued. My coach is a 2002 so when I have had a problem like that I try to be inventive and in this case I would be looking at a salvage yard for the entire window. One close one to me is Colaw RV Salvage near Joplin, Missouri.

Bill
joanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

It seems it can go both ways. Our neighbor had a stovetop fire in his 2005 Vectra. Had to replace the stove and a couple of the drawer fronts. Stove top was there within a week of ordering and dropped right in. He decided to build the drawer fronts himself because he could do it cheaper.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanbill View Post
Sarah, that is the way of the world. You can say it is lame but it is an accurate portrayal of how things work and , yes, that is what will be used when a vendor supplied part is required. Vendors come and go and when there is no longer a demand for a part it is discontinued. My coach is a 2002 so when I have had a problem like that I try to be inventive and in this case I would be looking at a salvage yard for the entire window. One close one to me is Colaw RV Salvage near Joplin, Missouri.

Bill
That's true, Bill. But you probably are aware that for years, Winnebago has made a huge deal out of the fact that they supply the parts for their products. Salesmen would even show potential buyers the code numbers on cabinet doors, etc., saying that if a replacement is ever needed all a customer has to do is contact Winnie with that number. But I can understand that eventually it would not be possible to stock every part for every RV ever made.

And your suggestion of a salvage yard is a good one, though I believe a local glass company could probably replace the window, and cheaper than an RV dealership.

Tags
winnebago