Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #41

Pumpkin, ask the local dealer if they will work on the TT. Sorry for your issue and welcome to the forum
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Pres. Ed Barker bragging about parts availability:

"Winnebago Industries was pleased to participate in the RV Rescue and demonstrate to RVers and the RV industry our ability to provide replacement parts on new and older model motor homes," said Winnebago Industries' President Ed Barker. "By manufacturing our own parts, we are able to maintain strict quality standards, design parts to unique motor home needs and easily facilitate replacement parts for years to come. Not only were we able to meet all the part requests for this 22 year old coach, but on a constant basis, we are able to provide owners with their parts in a timely manner - whether their motor home is 3 or 30 years old - and anywhere in between."

From this article:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...inal-Equipment
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #43

That’s from 2006, twelve years ago. An eternity in the business world. Have anything from the last two or three years?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Just bought MINNIE new & on way home video feed from turn signals turned fussy & unusable. Called dealer & said we need to bring in for service, had 1 week today. Purchase dealer almost 2 hrs away, will another closer dealer give same consideration of service or does anyone have fix for this? Tks
Hello and welcome. Congrats on your new Minnie and sorry you're having a problem. I agree with Larry; contact the local dealer and see if he will help with a warranty item. If not, you might contact Winnebago and see if they will approve a mobile RV tech to do the work.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
That’s from 2006, twelve years ago. An eternity in the business world. Have anything from the last two or three years?
I was able to find a PDF in which Winnebago makes various claims regarding parts availability, including:

"At our headquarters in Forest City, Iowa, our main warehouse
is the largest building in our complex at 400,000 square feet.
It is in this building that we process between $3.5 to $4 million
in parts (most of which we manufacture) every week. So,
whether we manufacture the part at the time of the order (like
if you need a holding tank for a ’80 Brave – we can do it!), or if
it is a part from a supplier, we can fill that order and help you
get your customer back on the road."

Apparently this is targeted at dealers. Here's a humorous one:

"• 40 percent parts markup – who else in the industry offers that? No one."

Those other mfrs do not allow their dealers to rip off the customer as much as we do!!:
https://portal.winnebagoind.com/prod...onforParts.pdf

As for the date of the article, I'd say that 'the business world' aside, most Winnebago owners -- and people in general -- consider 12 years to be a relatively short period of time.

However, if company policy from 2006 is considered too old, what would be an acceptable period of time? You mentioned 2-3 years. So are you saying that company policy becomes void after 2-3 years?

Several people on this thread have stated that a common Winnebago sales practice is to point out that WGO makes most of their own parts and keeps parts in stock for decades. Hopefully you can take our word for that. The fact that the salesperson works for a Winnebago dealer and not WGO is irrelevant as far as the potential customer is concerned.

WGO was/is surely aware of the standard lines salespeople use -- they probably provide the sales spiel to the dealers!

So even if WGO execs, like the president of the company, Ed Barker, were *not* making any claims or promises about parts one way or the other, it would be understandable that buyers would believe they could get spare parts for a significant period of time.

In reality, Winnebago execs are saying that WGO prides itself on making parts available for rigs that are 20-30+ years old:

""Winnebago Industries was pleased to participate in the RV Rescue and demonstrate to RVers and the RV industry our ability to provide replacement parts on new and older model motor homes," said Winnebago Industries' President Ed Barker. "By manufacturing our own parts, we are able to maintain strict quality standards, design parts to unique motor home needs and easily facilitate replacement parts for years to come. Not only were we able to meet all the part requests for this 22 year old coach, but on a constant basis, we are able to provide owners with their parts in a timely manner - whether their motor home is 3 or 30 years old - and anywhere in between."

Yes, Mr. Barker uttered those words 12 years ago. Unless there has been some formal retraction, it is reasonable to believe that is still the corporate position.

Perhaps you can find something that negates what Ed Barker said.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hello and welcome. Congrats on your new Minnie and sorry you're having a problem. I agree with Larry; contact the local dealer and see if he will help with a warranty item. If not, you might contact Winnebago and see if they will approve a mobile RV tech to do the work.
We had success with dealing with WGO and a mobile tech. WGO agreed to the tech but said if the tech did the work WGO would not warranty it.

We took the coach to a WGO dealer and have had no further issues.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
“They brag about how any part for any of their products is available for years to come.”

Please refer me to this statement by Winnebago, jeri.

Larry, call (800) 537-1885) during peak hours. Listen to the on hold recording.

This is my second Winnebago coach. Both bought used. The first was always in the shop. The ONLY place I could get quality work done, except once in TX, was to go to Forest City. Even the phone support was good back then. Then things changed within a few years. The factory service became less reliable, the phone support less knowledgeable and the employees less friendly. One of the older parts store workers whom we had gotten to know over the years was retiring early because of all the negative changes.
I don't support rumors or gossip. Winnebago is not the RV builder they once were. There past great reputation is no longer deserving to be touted about this new Winnebago.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
I was able to find a PDF in which Winnebago makes various claims regarding parts availability, including:

"At our headquarters in Forest City, Iowa, our main warehouse
is the largest building in our complex at 400,000 square feet.
It is in this building that we process between $3.5 to $4 million
in parts (most of which we manufacture) every week. So,
whether we manufacture the part at the time of the order (like
if you need a holding tank for a ’80 Brave – we can do it!), or if
it is a part from a supplier, we can fill that order and help you
get your customer back on the road."

Apparently this is targeted at dealers. Here's a humorous one:

"• 40 percent parts markup – who else in the industry offers that? No one."

Those other mfrs do not allow their dealers to rip off the customer as much as we do!!:
https://portal.winnebagoind.com/prod...onforParts.pdf

As for the date of the article, I'd say that 'the business world' aside, most Winnebago owners -- and people in general -- consider 12 years to be a relatively short period of time.

However, if company policy from 2006 is considered too old, what would be an acceptable period of time? You mentioned 2-3 years. So are you saying that company policy becomes void after 2-3 years?

Several people on this thread have stated that a common Winnebago sales practice is to point out that WGO makes most of their own parts and keeps parts in stock for decades. Hopefully you can take our word for that. The fact that the salesperson works for a Winnebago dealer and not WGO is irrelevant as far as the potential customer is concerned.

WGO was/is surely aware of the standard lines salespeople use -- they probably provide the sales spiel to the dealers!

So even if WGO execs, like the president of the company, Ed Barker, were *not* making any claims or promises about parts one way or the other, it would be understandable that buyers would believe they could get spare parts for a significant period of time.

In reality, Winnebago execs are saying that WGO prides itself on making parts available for rigs that are 20-30+ years old:

""Winnebago Industries was pleased to participate in the RV Rescue and demonstrate to RVers and the RV industry our ability to provide replacement parts on new and older model motor homes," said Winnebago Industries' President Ed Barker. "By manufacturing our own parts, we are able to maintain strict quality standards, design parts to unique motor home needs and easily facilitate replacement parts for years to come. Not only were we able to meet all the part requests for this 22 year old coach, but on a constant basis, we are able to provide owners with their parts in a timely manner - whether their motor home is 3 or 30 years old - and anywhere in between."

Yes, Mr. Barker uttered those words 12 years ago. Unless there has been some formal retraction, it is reasonable to believe that is still the corporate position.

Perhaps you can find something that negates what Ed Barker said.

Good thought with one correction: "Toro executive Michael Happe has been named CEO of Winnebago"
Old 07-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Good thought with one correction: "Toro executive Michael Happe has been named CEO of Winnebago"
Thanks.

I figured there was a good chance that Barker had probably resigned or retired. To be honest, I didn't even recognize his name.

I didn't bother checking because whether Barker were still president, or there had been 2-3 presidents since then should be irrelevant. Although it's certainly possible, long established company policies and procedures generally do not change simply because the president or CEO is replaced.

With Happe though, all bets are off. If Happe plans to do with WGO what has been done to Toro, then watch out. Toro equipment used to be among the best. Now it has been reduced to a big box store bargain brand.

If WGO has quietly changed their actual replacement parts practices for the worse, while leaving their marketing/sales claims the same, then shame on them.

As evidenced by the posts on this and other RV forums, motorhome buyers tend to be intelligent, well educated, and informed. Potential buyers will quickly catch on that WGO is a shell of its former self and will realize that they might as well purchase -- or at least consider -- another brand.

As recently as 8-10 years ago, WGO quality was clearly a notch or two above that of most other RV mfrs (with maybe a couple exceptions). Since we bought our View I haven't had any reason to compare. I hope that is still the case.

It's always sad when an iconic American company is essentially destroyed due to shortsighted management practices that are focused almost exclusively on the profits for the current quarter. I sure hope that isn't the case with Winnebago.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
Thanks.

I figured there was a good chance that Barker had probably resigned or retired. To be honest, I didn't even recognize his name.

With Happe though, all bets are off. If Happe plans to do with WGO what has been done to Toro, then watch out. Toro equipment used to be among the best. Now it has been reduced to a big box store bargain brand.

If WGO has quietly changed their actual replacement parts practices for the worse, while leaving their marketing/sales claims the same, then shame on them.

As evidenced by the posts on this and other RV forums, motorhome buyers tend to be intelligent, well educated, and informed. Potential buyers will quickly catch on that WGO is a shell of its former self and will realize that they might as well purchase -- or at least consider -- another brand.

As recently as 8-10 years ago, WGO quality was clearly a notch or two above that of most other RV mfrs (with maybe a couple exceptions). Since we bought our View I haven't had any reason to compare. I hope that is still the case.

It's always sad when an iconic American company is essentially destroyed due to shortsighted management practices that are focused almost exclusively on the profits for the current quarter. I sure hope that isn't the case with Winnebago.

I agree, though sadly. I am hoping that the employees of WGO will be reading these many negative comments and historical references about the once great company, put two and two together and rebel against the company by taking the time to do a quality job and be willing to be punished by management for doing so. We, as consumers, would then be forced into a position of speaking positively, once again, about the great quality of Winnebago.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The dealer's salesman doesn't work for Winnebago. Everyone knows that. He/she works for the dealer and can't bind a separate company. Then there is the issue of "puffing" aka salesperson's statements...he said, she said. The warranty by Winnebago is written and available to read before purchase. There is no guarantee about parts availability. This constant bashing of Winnebago disturbs me...and on Winnebago's site too.
Unless I'm mistaken, this is not "Winnebago's site."
RayBob58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBob58 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, this is not "Winnebago's site."
Correct. "This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site."
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #53
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The dealer's salesman doesn't work for Winnebago. Everyone knows that. He/she works for the dealer and can't bind a separate company. Then there is the issue of "puffing" aka salesperson's statements...he said, she said. The warranty by Winnebago is written and available to read before purchase. There is no guarantee about parts availability. This constant bashing of Winnebago disturbs me...and on Winnebago's site too.

Larry, this is a private site for Winne owners to gather to vent and seek issue resolves if possible. I am sorry that you did not understand this.

We, who have had older Winne units and a long time relationship with Winnebago have earned the right to vent. We have seen Winnebago go from a top notch, customer oriented company to a run of the mill, survival of the fittest operation with little or no concern for the quality of the products they are rapidly shoving off the assembly line or the frustration the new buyer has for getting the sloppy workmanship, vendors included, repaired in a reasonable time frame.

If you are put on hold, when calling the Winnebago support line, you will hear subject to a long, looping, recording of what the company will provide for you if you buy their products. Many of the points stressed are no longer true. One of them is the availability of parts for older units. If it is a vendor part that is needed you may be out of luck. Even some of their custom parts, a side window for a older rig if I recall correctly, may not be available. If you have an electrical problem YOU, the owner, can not gain access to the appropriate schematics to do your own troubleshooting as were available for earlier models. The identification numbers on the wires no longer apply to us because they are now propitiatory.

I hope this information gives you a better idea as to the source of our general frustrations with Winnebago. Even if this were a company sponsored website I think it would be a great way, tool, for the company to come to understand what they need to do to produce a better, more reliable product that will make happy campers out of new customers and keep the old unit owners as a source of free advertising.

Please stay with this forum and seek to help or even be helped with ongoing or future issues.

Happy trails,
Rick

Tags
winnebago