Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Service Center Forest City, Iowa

I have an appointment at Winnie in Forest City, Iowa, for September 12. I have a few items that need to be repaired (Schwintek living room slide out, rear AC, leaks, minor structural imperfections, jacks) that will be covered under warranty and maybe one or two that I reported after warranty ran out April 9.

I have a few questions for those that may have already been to the service center in Forest City...

1. Does Winnie allow you to stay in your coach for the night after the service techs have gone home for the day? I would be able to return each late afternoon.

2. If the answer to #1 is NO, it sure seems like the only hotel in the area is a Super 8. Not really my type of motel. Any suggestions for a good clean place to stay? I expect I will need about 5 days.

3. Does Winnie keep the coach hooked up to 30 / 50 AMP service during the entire time? I have a lot of perishables in the fridge and freezer... And wine cooler

4. Does Winnie only do repairs or can they also do a full service maintenance (change oil, filters, etc.)?

5. Does Winnie offer "how to do courses" at their Forest City location?

6. Does Winnie offer a tour of their facility?

7. For those that respond and have been to Winnie, what are your thoughts and recommendations?

I might have follow up questions to any responses I get.

Thanks in advance....

Rick
Old 07-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Looking forward to hearing the answers to your questions. I've often wondered if it would be worth the trip out there.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I believe they do let you stay in your coach over night at the factory. I was at the Rally last year and they had rigs plugged in at the factory. They have a lot of "how to" classes at the rally. I do not believe they have them available at the factory. There is also a city rv park downtown you can stay at. I think it is free. You should plan on going to one of the rally's and learn a ton. I have enjoyed the one I attended.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have to Forest City either 3 or 4 times for service.

1) Yes ... provided the repair is not so severe that they have it completely dismantled ... our coach has always been returned at the end of the day ... there are spots for several coaches by the service center ... and more up at the visitor center ... on one occasion one coach was not returned at the end of the day ... that owner stayed in a bed and breakfast, as I recall

3) I believe the answer to that is YES

6) Yes .... sign up at the visitor center

7) There is Wi-Fi in the lobby of the service center ... there is complimentary coffee ...

We learned that we needed to have our coach ready for repair at 6:50 am. So we buttoned it up without eating our breakfast ... there is a neat little restaurant, Sally's, on Main street where we (and many others) went for a tasty and leisurely breakfast
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had Service completed under warranty for 4 days beginning July 11th. We showed up from Seattle without an appointment in our 2016 Vista LX 27N on the 8th. Given a number and told we would be in within 72 hours. There are approx. 20 sites next to customer service that are free on a first come basis with 50 amp service. There are an additional 14 sites across the street at the Winnebago Visitor Center also first come and electricity. Pammell Park in town has many sites with electric for $15 a night. Large site for water and dump is available at entrance to park. List of service numbers is posted around on Customer Service door every day around 3:15 pm telling you what time to have your RV in front of Service. Times have been either 6am, 6:30am, and 9:00am. At no time are pets allowed in your rv while being serviced. Those with dogs either kept them outside or in the lounge. We took our two cats down the street to the Super 8. $72 a night. All motorhomes are brought out between 3 and 3:30 pm every day finished or not. Excellent Customer Service and great Techs. All seven of our items are done to our complete satisfaction and well worth the trip out. Highly recommend the two hour factory tour held Monday through Friday at 9am and 1pm. Leaving tomorrow from GNR and headed to Florida. Lastly do not bring cellphones using AT&T service as you will be greatly frustrated.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Wow- and people talk about how great Tiffin service is at their factory. Seems like the big boys at Winnebago are too!
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Not specifically answering your questions but I have stopped at the factory twice with this motorhome and have been completely satisfied with service provided.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have an appointment at Winnie in Forest City, Iowa, for September 12. I have a few items that need to be repaired (Schwintek living room slide out, rear AC, leaks, minor structural imperfections, jacks) that will be covered under warranty and maybe one or two that I reported after warranty ran out April 9.

I have a few questions for those that may have already been to the service center in Forest City...

1. Does Winnie allow you to stay in your coach for the night after the service techs have gone home for the day? I would be able to return each late afternoon.

As mentioned earlier if the coach doesn't have to be dismantled it will be returned to you at the end of the work day. However n the case of the slide repair they may have to totally remove it. If that is the case you'll have to find accommodations for the evening.

When our full wall slide was repaired it was totally removed. We knew that was the case before we arrived and chose to leave it and return the next week. Your best bet to get accurate information on how long the repairs will take and whether or not you'll be able to sleep in it id to call or e mail the service department:
Current Product Owner and Service-Related Inquiries

(800) 537-1885
[email protected]

You will be assigned a service writer that will guide you through the process. In addition you can send photos by e mail detailing the problems. The service writer should be able to give you an approximate time to complete each of the repairs.

2. If the answer to #1 is NO, it sure seems like the only hotel in the area is a Super 8. Not really my type of motel. Any suggestions for a good clean place to stay? I expect I will need about 5 days.

3. Does Winnie keep the coach hooked up to 30 / 50 AMP service during the entire time? I have a lot of perishables in the fridge and freezer... And wine cooler

Whether or not the coach will remain plugged in depends on the repairs needed. If the slide has to be removed, or there are any electrical issues you are advised to remove any perishable items.

4. Does Winnie only do repairs or can they also do a full service maintenance (change oil, filters, etc.)?

They are a full service center they do maintenance items as well as repairs and warranty work.

5. Does Winnie offer "how to do courses" at their Forest City location?

The only "how to" courses Winnebago offers are those done during the Grand National Rally. That ended last week.

6. Does Winnie offer a tour of their facility?

They do offer tours depending on the date of your appointment. Generally the last group tours are near labor day. If your appointment is past the last group tour date you can ask for a private tour. Private tours are given by corporate personell depending on their work and travel schedules. We were able to get a private tour in December of 2013 by one of the product training managers. His travel schedule put him at the corporate offices during the time we had a service appointment.

7. For those that respond and have been to Winnie, what are your thoughts and recommendations?

I would highly recommend you have service and warranty work done at Forest City. We've had both our 2001 Adventurer and our 2013 Adventurer in for warranty work, repairs and service over the years. In our case the distance to our selling dealer is almost identical to going to the factory. At the factory service center there is little or no waiting for parts to be ordered, they have highly trained and responsible technicians, and the prices are competitive.

I might have follow up questions to any responses I get.

Thanks in advance....
Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for all the responses. I already have a service writer assigned that I have been communicating with during my 6 month USA journey. I intend to send an email in about a week verifying that all the work I have requested matches his list. I am elated that Winnie does repair work under a 2nd party warranty program.

I am almost certain that Winnie will have to remove the kitchen living room slideout (does not have the refrigerator) to fix the Schwintek system (repaired twice already - Winnie will be 3 times). Hopefully they can keep the rest of the coach plugged in, if not I will probably dry-ice the frozen foods.

When Winnie works on the slideout, I will stay in the Super 8 or a B&B (any suggestions of one near by?). The rest of the time I hope to stay in the coach.

Again... Thanks...

Rick
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There is also a more upscale motel called the Lodge Hotel across the street from the Visitor Center and adjacent to the Winnebago Rally Grounds. We ate there on Saturday night a week ago. It is in a beautiful setting in the woods next to the river.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mason Iowa is about 30 miles away from Forest City. Although I didn't check hotels there I suspect they will have a larger selection than Forest City.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
There is also a more upscale motel called the Lodge Hotel across the street from the Visitor Center and adjacent to the Winnebago Rally Grounds. We ate there on Saturday night a week ago. It is in a beautiful setting in the woods next to the river.
We have stayed at the "Lodge" and you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED with their rooms, food, or price (for what you get there).
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We have been to the factory for repairs twice. Called ahead and gave them the list if issues. When you check in you can add 3-5 more. If the are aware of the problems the can have the parts on hand. They replaced the Matrux/ IR. system out of warranty on there "Good Will"! Yes they keep it plugged in. Make sure you tell them. We have a advantage as we have relatives with in 30 miles and was from the area, so we had a place to stay.
Just had the passenger Slide fixed for,the second time in6 months.. Replaced the " schwintec " with the powered gear. They did not remove the slide. Was done by the dealer in the DFW area where we bought it and lived for 30 years. Slide is faster and a little noiser . Have cycled it 7 times since repair. Ok so far currantly in MT. I believe you will like the factory. Mason city and Clear lake are about a 40 minute drive south on 35. Clear lake worth checking out. Goo day trip. Good luck.
Oh we full-time.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The factory repair service experience is quite impressive. Nothing but professional throughout. They fixed 17 items for me.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

All of the camp sites at winnebago are power only. The ones up by the visitors center are gravel with no shade.

We stayed at the local city park ($15/night) it has power only but nice trees, grass and picnic tables. Plus the scenery is nicer and has great dump stations. It was worth the investment.

If you go to mason city make sure you visit the Frank Lloyd Wright hotel/bank/office down town. It is very interesting place and the last FLW hotel in existence. The restaurant inside was also very good. The Birdsall ice cream place is also a stop worth making.

This is quite the contrast to the operation in Red Bay where they have almost 100 full hook up sites, a nice laundry and more.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, winnebago