Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago QA

One thing I don’t understand about Winnebago is how they continue producing coaches with known problems, even the small things that could be corrected in the manufacture for practically no cost. For example there have been many posts about the fresh water tank siphoning in many models and over many years. In my case the dealer corrected it. Others have reported Winnebago Customer Service told them to fix it themselves and gave them some suggestions. How much would it cost them to change the plumbing so it didn’t happen in the first place? Another constant is the failure of the adhesive holding the hood latches and stops. Why does Winnebago continue using something with this high of a failure rate? And let’s not even mention the Lippert/Schwintek slide-outs. How many years did that go on? I feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop every time I use my slides.

If I were in charge of their QA I would monitor forums like this one and go to upper management and say "we have a problem, let's fix it before the coaches get to the customers." That's how to make good customer relations, not we'll fix it if you find it before the warranty runs out.

There, that's my rant for the day. I feel better.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

QA. Does seem like a no brainer. In the year 2015. Toured the factory last month. Hard work . Small town. Same with Red Bay Tiffins. Someone has got to TEST better. The problem is. Every coach coming off the 3 lines is different. Engines,,sizes. Etc. you would need some serious QA experts to know. 25 different models. The tour did not give us any idea what QA tine was spent. We did meet a Meridian owner who had 3 different color schemes in her 40. Hard to believe. Would like to see a Winnebago video on QA . All said we love our 2013 35B vista model. Minor stuff. Fixed at lichtsinn
morris61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I called Winnebago about a part falling off from under my hood. They recommended a certain type of glue to put the part back on. They told me I could get it at almost any automotive shop. I spent a month tracking the product down. Then the company mentioned that I also needed a $60 glue gun to use with this product. The nearest dealer couldn't tell me how to fix the part. I really believe this hold be a recall by the company. This part could have killed someone if it came off while going down the highway.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I believe that the MH industry , winnabago any many others just don't care . It is all about the money as most corpations are today in the U.S. . The CEO is just concerned about finding the best bottom line. I am trying to have a good experience while traveling, and triying not see all the bad. We found out about this RV world while owing a travel trailer and almost expect to be ignored by these RV companies . If you happen to find a good tech or dealership you experience may improve. I have found reading these fourms that if you are good at working on MH you have a much better chance of being more confident in your travels and not so upset about the MH manufacture Coustermer care. Most of these dealers are not prepared to handle the manufactures mistakes and they handle so many brands they do not keep up with each manufactures build. It sure is a big problem and doesn't look good any time soon. I read about these people taken there MH back to factory for repair and say how good they are to them. I laugh and think I should live closer to Indiana or they good just do a little better in the building of the MH.!!! We traveled almost 2 years on the water and had few problems with boat, but the weather was always on your mind . I believe I injoy the MH travel a lot more if I could be more confident in coach. Just feel blessed to be able to see this beautiful country.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post
I called Winnebago about a part falling off from under my hood. They recommended a certain type of glue to put the part back on. They told me I could get it at almost any automotive shop. I spent a month tracking the product down. Then the company mentioned that I also needed a $60 glue gun to use with this product. The nearest dealer couldn't tell me how to fix the part. I really believe this hold be a recall by the company. This part could have killed someone if it came off while going down the highway.
The company that makes the adhesive would be more than happy to sell you a $60.00 applicator. However you can buy a $1.89 caulking gun from Menards and modify it in 10 minutes to do the job.

Rather than going to an automotive shop you should be looking at body shop supply stores. The body shops and repair shops only buy a sufficient amount of adhesive for their own needs.

I modified a Menards $4.79 unit I already had to use the 2 part epoxy.
http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ca...77290139548867
When the job was done I put it back to the original configuration.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
One thing I don’t understand about Winnebago is how they continue producing coaches with known problems, even the small things that could be corrected in the manufacture for practically no cost. For example there have been many posts about the fresh water tank siphoning in many models and over many years. In my case the dealer corrected it. Others have reported Winnebago Customer Service told them to fix it themselves and gave them some suggestions. How much would it cost them to change the plumbing so it didn’t happen in the first place? Another constant is the failure of the adhesive holding the hood latches and stops. Why does Winnebago continue using something with this high of a failure rate? And let’s not even mention the Lippert/Schwintek slide-outs. How many years did that go on? I feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop every time I use my slides.

If I were in charge of their QA I would monitor forums like this one and go to upper management and say "we have a problem, let's fix it before the coaches get to the customers." That's how to make good customer relations, not we'll fix it if you find it before the warranty runs out.

There, that's my rant for the day. I feel better.
Finally Time,
One of the things you kind-a have to think about is, the ratio of, just how many Winnies have issues, consecutive issues that is, as opposed to how many Winnies are produced. With very, very few exceptions, we only read of adhesive failures here on this internet forum for RVs. And, the same goes for the "siphoning" issue. I'm assuming you mean by siphoning, it's when the water tank it filled TOO MUCH and, the overflow actually will siphon some off, until a certain level is reached at which, the over-flow tube cannot pick any more off the top.

Yes, mine will do that if, I fill it too much. It will spit out about maybe 2 gallons or so. Then it quits. I've done it time or two in our RV garage when filling it and, forgot about it. Dumb move on my part.

Anyway, I certainly agree with you on the dangers of a falling off part, if and when it might happen on a roadway or freeway some place. But, in the hundreds of thousands of Winnies (and Itascas like ours) that are produced, how many have actually had adhesive failures? I agree that, it should NOT happen, AT ALL.

But, apparently it's a process that, works "good enough" for whatever amount of NON-FAILURES that are out there, running down the road, without issues.

GM and many other vehicle manufacturers have been using adhesive fastening systems for years and years. And, in seriously critical applications and, I have no idea if, any have failed in those applications. I mean, some of those operations are "gluing" entire bodies to subframes. Talk about an issue if it comes UN-GLUED during some high speed driving, yeow!!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Granted we only hear about a few problems posted here, but how many hundreds of thousands happen and the coach owners just fix it themselves. I think the fact that there are a number posted here shows the problem is very widespread. There are probably only a few thousand of the hundreds of thousand Winnebago owners that even read this forum let alone post on it.

The siphoning I'm talking about is when the tank is filled anywhere from half to full it will siphon down to 1/3 tank when driving. The fix Winnebago tells people is to install a shut off on the overflow or plug it when not filling the tank. My dealer said they run into this all the time on many models and not only on Winnebagos. They re-plumb the overflow by routing the pipe up then down, sort of forming an upside-down P trap to break the vacuum formed when the water sloshes around while driving. Couldn't Winnebago do that too? It would be easier during manufacture. But I guess it's like my dealer said, they wait for a complaint, then fix it. A lot of people don't use the on-board water, or just keep a little water in the tank so it's not an issue for them.

If my hood latch falls off and bounces of through someone's windshield, it is a problem. I doubt if the person with the damaged windshield thinks it's was an acceptable risk because there are thousands that have not had a latch fall off. This is the same type of reasoning the big three automakers did when calculating the cost of correction vs the cost of injury or death payouts when deciding whether to fix known defects.

I still think Winnebago's QA stinks, even though it is better than a lot of manufacturers. It’s not acceptable to send out coaches year after year with known problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We did a factory tour. Winnebago produces 200 units per week.

While we think we are paying a lot for our units and expect a top quality unit I would like to suggest if you want that kind of quality you should be looking at a Marathon or something similar and step up to a 1,000,000 unit.

Unfortunately I know folks with Marathons who are having issues as well.

Even mother nature has some oops now and then.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Finally Time,
One of the things you kind-a have to think about is, the ratio of, just how many Winnies have issues, consecutive issues that is, as opposed to how many Winnies are produced. With very, very few exceptions, we only read of adhesive failures here on this internet forum for RVs. And, the same goes for the "siphoning" issue. I'm assuming you mean by siphoning, it's when the water tank it filled TOO MUCH and, the overflow actually will siphon some off, until a certain level is reached at which, the over-flow tube cannot pick any more off the top.

Yes, mine will do that if, I fill it too much. It will spit out about maybe 2 gallons or so. Then it quits. I've done it time or two in our RV garage when filling it and, forgot about it. Dumb move on my part.

Anyway, I certainly agree with you on the dangers of a falling off part, if and when it might happen on a roadway or freeway some place. But, in the hundreds of thousands of Winnies (and Itascas like ours) that are produced, how many have actually had adhesive failures? I agree that, it should NOT happen, AT ALL.

But, apparently it's a process that, works "good enough" for whatever amount of NON-FAILURES that are out there, running down the road, without issues.

GM and many other vehicle manufacturers have been using adhesive fastening systems for years and years. And, in seriously critical applications and, I have no idea if, any have failed in those applications. I mean, some of those operations are "gluing" entire bodies to subframes. Talk about an issue if it comes UN-GLUED during some high speed driving, yeow!!
Scott
I have had adhesive failures on my Itasca and I believe that there are many, many, more like me.
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have a slightly different question, dealing with operating and maintenance instructions. I bought a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser last year, and it came with all of the factory literature. Unfortunately, the owners manual contains numerous errors and omissions which I am only discovering through negative experience. For example, I now have to replace the basement air unit because the condenser coils were completely clogged with dirt. The only maintenance mentioned in the owners manual is to change the air filter in the bedroom, which I had done (this was not the problem). Another example is the poor description of the J72 Allison parking brake, which made no mention of potential damage to the transmission if the emergency brake is applied while moving. How are owners supposed to know these things without proper instructions?
jwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Speaking of missing literature and manuals, I noticed I was missing an owners manual for the Suburban oven. Luckily, I found it online and downloaded it.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodie View Post
I have a slightly different question, dealing with operating and maintenance instructions. I bought a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser last year, and it came with all of the factory literature. Unfortunately, the owners manual contains numerous errors and omissions which I am only discovering through negative experience. For example, I now have to replace the basement air unit because the condenser coils were completely clogged with dirt. The only maintenance mentioned in the owners manual is to change the air filter in the bedroom, which I had done (this was not the problem). Another example is the poor description of the J72 Allison parking brake, which made no mention of potential damage to the transmission if the emergency brake is applied while moving. How are owners supposed to know these things without proper instructions?
I'm assuming this post is a joke.

If you take time to read the AC owners manual you'll find the following recommended procedure in the Maintenance section: "Periodically (once or twice a season), inspect the outdoor coil and brush off any accumulated residue with a soft bristled brush."

In addition common sense should tell you that applying the parking brake while the vehicle is in motion will in all likelihood cause damage.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I agree with Fire UP on his analysis of the numbers. On the issue of Winnebago monitoring this site, I am sure you realize they are a sponsor of this forum and I have every reason to believe they regularly monitor this forum. I have had service performed for me on several occasions at the factory and they have always met with me, when the unit was returned to me, to make sure I was happy with their work. There is a 90 day warranty on all parts supplied stamped on the receipt. I have always been very happy with their service.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

There is no doubt that, all of us would like ISSUE FREE UNITS FOREVER. But, pretty sure that's not going to happen. We are on the Winnebago/Itasca side of this forum and, we Winne and Itasca owners talk back and forth, about issues that have happened, and what was done to remedy them, either by us owners or, a local RV repair facility or, maybe even the factory.

But, how many owners of Monoco, Fleetwood (and all of
its models) Thor, Country Coach, Newmar, and more and more and more, also have issues that maybe are still being "built in" at the factory level? Do they have adhesive issues too? Are they having plumbing problems as well as some Winnes?

I'm not defending Winne and Itasca. They have had and, are having today, issues with new units. But, how many of the other manufacturers are having them too? I can't even begin to analyze the RV industry and display some sort of chart or, spread sheet on who's got less issues and, has there been any improvement in the manufacturing process over the last decade, two decades etc.

If Winne has monitored and, is continuing to monitor this site, as Don sais they have, I would assume that, they SHOULD have the newest, strongest, and most advance adhesive systems that is available, based on the issues of yesteryears coaches have had and, continue to have. I can only assume that a company like Winne, constantly makes improvements in it's manufacturing process, as time goes on. I toured that factory floor, on an 8 person tour and, it was definitely an eye opener on how things are done, made, assembled, created, built, and much more.

But, it, like GM, Ford, and many others, deals with a zillion parts and, its own, to make a single, rolling, hopefully non issue, MOTOR HOME, at the end of the day. GM apparently has issues, Ford, yep, it's got some too. Chrysler, oh yeah, Honda, yep, quite a few.

At the present time, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who's adhesive attached components have held to date and, our coach is presently 11 years old and has 63K on the clock. It's roof is not "detaching" like apparently many Winnes have had happen in the past. And I misunderstood the siphoning issue the OP is having. Ours has not done that and, we travel with a full tank of water, almost everywhere due to the fact that, you never know when, you might need it due to a break down or, some other catastrophe.

And yes, you, the OP, most likely are correct in assuming that many owners of Winnies and Itascas across the nation are repairing some of the known issues that plague the Winne and Itasca manufacturing process and are not taking their coaches back to the factory or, having a local RV repair center have a go at them.

Again, we'd all like our coaches to be trouble free. We pay a fair amount of hard earned money for these things and, we'd like to be able to use them, without having to fix them. I still believe they build a very nice coach, for the type of money involved. However, the coaches are designed, engineered, manufactured, and assembled by people. And, people can be flawed and, so can machinery, and assembly tactics and procedures too.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I worked as an engineer for a large manufacturing company. I can tell you that when a company like Winnebago is aware of a problem and does not fix it, they have made an economic decision that it is costing them less in lost sales and warranty repairs than it would cost to fix the problem. As an example, the adhesive problem that they have had for years is likely due to improper preparation of the metal. Winnebago has decided that the labour time it takes for proper preparation on all the fittings on each coach is higher than the cost of warranty repairs for one year, especially since the adhesive likely won't be failing in the first year. As for lost sales, how many prospective customers are going to be aware of the potential adhesive failure, and then base their purchasing decision on that?
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I completely agree with hikerdogs: reading and understanding the manuals would go a long way towards "happy trails".

Cripes, Winnebago puts pictures and diagrams in the manuals for the benefit of new RVers.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I believe every manufacturer has factored in a failure rate for any units produced - do not care who the manufacturer is or what they produce.

Started looking into production rates but decided it was interesting but I had other things to do.

Winnebago produces 200 MH a week. Newmar produces 40 per week. Entegra has produced something like 1800 units since starting production. Based on similar failure rates you would expect Winnebago to have more failures.

Generally based on the issues discussed on the threads on this forum it seems like these three manufacturers have about the same number of complaints.

This is not a properly conducted survey so the results can be disputed.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'm assuming this post is a joke.

If you take time to read the AC owners manual you'll find the following recommended procedure in the Maintenance section: "Periodically (once or twice a season), inspect the outdoor coil and brush off any accumulated residue with a soft bristled brush."

In addition common sense should tell you that applying the parking brake while the vehicle is in motion will in all likelihood cause damage.
Thanks for the snide remarks.
jwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodie View Post
Thanks for the snide remarks.
Step back a moment and consider who made complaints about Winnebago causing damage to your coach by having "errors and omissions" in the supplied literature. I pointed out that in the case you sighted there were neither errors nor omissions.

I do not consider this a snide remark, but rather a challenge. The information you alleged was omitted was clearly present in the literature supplied to the original owner. I can't speak to whether or not you received every piece of information that was supplied to the original owner. Given that there were hundreds of pieces, I would venture to guess that some were lost before you even purchased the motorhome.

As for applying the parking brake while the vehicle is moving here's an excerpt from the Workhorse W24 manual.
Caution
"The park brake is not designed for dynamic stops; if a dynamic stop occurs the park brake assembly must be inspected immediately for any internal damage."
Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Hi Finally Time,

Nice to hear from you again. We are the couple that checked out your rig in Tumwater, then bought the same thing you bought.

Here is a thought I am having: My slides have never failed, but I am always freaked out while setting up or taking down camp that they will. My glue has not failed, but I tend to worry about it while driving.

I wonder if I would be so much happy never having read this forum? That's why they say, "Ignorance is bliss" I guess...

My biggest problem so far is all the rattles and shakes we get while driving. I would never buy a car that had that much loose construction banging around inside. The front slider windows are especially bad.

Turn up the music!

Tags
winnebago