Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool Winnebago passenger-side workstation

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to lock the workstation open? I can't use it when travelling because it won't stay open and slides back and forth.
LiMillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello and :welcome: We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Can you post some up close photos? Maybe a simple sliding locking bolt can be installed in an inconspicuous area.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ours has latches along each side that hold it out. You have to push on them to be able to close it.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, Doug Sage. Ours has no latches and I looked and can't see where they would have been. It was the show model and was 'looked at' (meaning abused) for a year so I'm guessing it has always been broken or that in 2009 it was a new feature and the latches were added later. Now I am wondering if it can be fixed or replaced.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had to put drawer magnets on the bottom like what they have for the back. It kept sliding away from DW and she'd just give up and go to the table.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Todd, what are drawer magnets?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

like these..
Attached Images

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hmmmm. I see how that could keep the drawer closed but not how it would keep it open. Where did you put them?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ours has a single magnet on the front to hold it closed and 2 magnets facing rearward on the rear upright surface work station (with appropriate matching plates on the rear upright surface of the opening below the movable top) to keep it latched open when in the full open position.

We found the single magnet didn't always keep it closed on rough roads. I replaced it with a larger 25 pound pull magnet from McMaster Carr.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, I tried to add a picture to show you what I have but I can't do it and what you guys are describing won't work for me. The is not 'rear upright surface" and it stays closed just fine. I can't use it because it won't stay open. There is nowhere to put a magnet.

The only way to add a picture to this is from a web page, not my hard drive so I don't know how to show you.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I looked up pictures of the newer ones and ours doesn't look anything like that. We have a 2009 Winnebago Adventured 32H. I can see why they changed it. The new ones look a lot better but I would like to be able to use this one when travelling.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I don't know what your work station looks like ... but I am a "duct tape, baling wire, WD-40, clothespin, clamp" guy ...

have you walked through Home Depot to look at their clamps? ... maybe you could use a couple of those to hold your workstation open ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

LiMillr, Small spring clamp see link below. Also please add your coach info to your signature. On posting a picture, on the Quick Reply window click on the Go Advanced bar then click on the Manage Attachments bar and you can down load pictures from your computer.

Micro Spring Clamp Set 6 Pc
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Wow. Thank you, grtharris. I will add info and also try the 'go advanced' bar.

Linda Miller
2009 Winnebago Adventurer 32H
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2009 Winnebago Adventurer 32H. The dashboard slide-out tray for writing doesn't stay open. I will try taking a picture. The ones I found online aren't like mine. They are fancier.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Is your work station wood or plastic? The one in our 2001 Adventurer was wood with a set of latches built into the rails. They could be latched either in the half open or full open position. The slide rails and latches on this style had to be cleaned occasionally to make them work properly. The latches consisted of a small spring loaded tab inside the rail and a pair of holes on the top side of each rail. As the cover was opened the tabs would pop upward into the holes on the rails and hold the workstation in place.

Over time dirt gets into the rails and the springs aren't strong enough to make the tabs pop up. We cleaned ours several times with WD40 and some paper towel.

If this is the style you have it's also possible that someone forced the work station shut and broke off the locking tabs. They're supposed to be released by a small level on the lower side of each rail.

If this is what happened you may need to replace the rails. If you have the newer style with the magnetic latch you may be able to replace the slide rails with the older style rails.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs, thank you. Ours does not have magnetic latch so I will look to see where locking tabs could have been. I cleaned it yesterday and was shocked at how dirty but I think it was probably broken when it was the demo and I didn't catch that and it's obviously out of warranty now. I will look again and then see if rails can be replaced. Thanks again.

Tags
winnebago