Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Issues?

Hello All,
My name is Dan and I am about to take possession of an '06 Journey 36G. While reading through this forum I see that there are a few items that have me wondering if I should go ahead with the purchase. The basement air issue has me particularly concerned due to the apparent lack of replacement parts in the event the unit should fail. While my background has a number of years in HVAC, the fact that replacement compressors are not available and that the entire unit may soon be extinct has me wondering if I should back out of the deal. I know the automobile industry is required by law to keep a stock in parts for 10 years, but evidently that does not apply to the RV industry which I find difficult to believe. I hate to pass up the deal I got, but I'd rather loose the relatively small deposit now than face a problem that can't be repaired. The unit has no problems at this time but I don't want to be gun-shy and cross my fingers every time I turn on the A/C. Please help me put my mind at rest ...
Thanks, Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum Dan and congrats on your pending purchase.

I watch with interest to see what responses you get on the basement heat pump since I have the same unit but there are many many of us out here with those units. I'm betting there will be a solution and I'd go ahead with your purchase.

I share your surprise that RV mfrgs don't have to supply parts for a period of time after manufacture of a rig. In a previous life I managed Post Production Manufacturing for Hewlett Packard and we provided spares for 5 to 10 years after last product shipment. Although.... I think much of that has changed now.

Good Luck

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You might do a search because some posts that I saw indicated that parts were still available and people felt that compressors would be replaceable for a long time. We added one roof top-air unit for days when it gets over 100 in full sun and the basement air doesn't quite do it. If our basement air went out and we couldn't get it fixed I guess I would have two more roof-top units added. Joe
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have had basement air for 10 yrs in my unit and would do it again. Parts are available and this would not keep me from buying a unit I liked so go for it. My basement air even worked fine in death valley this summer at 117 out side air temp .
Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had basement air on my 2003 Itasca Suncruiser and now with my 2007 Winnebago Tour. Never had a problem with the basement air on either unit. It even handled cooling the RV at Circus Circus in 125 degree Las Vegas July heat.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

i am not afraid that there will not be any parts to service my unit if it fails. We have a local RV Service Center here that does work on basement air units and they told me that they can get parts.

You're a GO!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Had both compressors replaced on my unit two months ago and parts were readily available as were new replacement basement units. Not cheap, but available.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #8

If you are comfortable with the coach and it is what you want , Man go for it. I/we might all be dead tomarrow So lets not do what we might enjoy. lets Do====+++++ I say Go for It; We have had 2 basement air . It is a good product; Do not worry about all those silly tails out there..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2007 Journey and was just quoted 2100.00 for motor and 1 compressor for my basement air system, no metion of part shortage. any thoughts?
Barste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just had to have major service to my basement air. I did and do have an aftermarket extended warranty that paid the $1,300, however I was deeply concerned about the availability of the needed part, and replacement of the coolant if it was required. In casual conversation with the technician, who I found knowledgeable and trustworthy, it would be relatively easy to replace the basement air with two roof units if the situation required such a major change. The cost of such a modification would be under $4,000.
Although this represents a significant investment, and the dollar amount is just a guestimate, it does quantify the risk in purchasing a current MH with basement air.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you ALL for your responses. We're going to go forward with the purchase since it is obvious that things aren't as bad as I first thought. This basement air system sounds likes it's similar to two room air conditioners attached together on a chassis platform or sorts with a control system that can run them independentantly or simultaneously. You speak of a motor which I assume to be the evaporator/condenser fan motor in each unit along with their own compressor. There are about 12,000 BTU's per ton of cooling, so together these systems are a bit larger than 2 tons in capacity. You also speak of a coolant they use. Is this for the heat-pump side of the system or are they liquid cooled rather than air cooled? Please excuse my ignorance.
Thanks, Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My understanding is that the coolant is a freon type gas. Current and future regulations due to environmental hazards directly affects the availability and cost of these materials. This will probably apply to all older air conditioners and may affect current cooling units in the future. Who knows.
But again, if your anticipated purchase is what you want, and if the price is right, and if balance in anticipated costs into the purchase price...go for it.
Anticipated costs should include, but not be limited too: Tire life, roofing seals, and air conditioner care.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The Journeys and Meridians are great motor homes but I would be more concerned about the fan hub bearing failure that puts the fan into the radiator, radiator blockage from blowby causing engine overheating, and the problem with Norcold refrigerators than I would worrying about the basement air conditioner.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
You also speak of a coolant they use. Is this for the heat-pump side of the system or are they liquid cooled rather than air cooled? Please excuse my ignorance.
Thanks, Dan
Dan,

There are 2 fans on the basement air systems. 1 is the squirrel cage which moves the air through the coach, and the second moves air thru the outside coil. The units are air cooled just like a residential a/c unit.

Basement air systems are just like residential systems. They use a refrigerant gas (like freon) which is compressed to generate cooling across the coils. In the heat pump mode, the system just works in reverse, pulling heat from the air and transferring it across the air exchange coils. Only difference in a heat pump and a/c unit is a reversing valve and some control electronics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Pusherman has it right. This is basically a residential unit adapted for use in motor coaches. Any time my dealer needs to repair one of these units he calls in a residential A/C shop. Like others I have used basement air for years and the only thing that has failed is one capacitor which are readily available at any electrical shop. If you want more information on the units call Winnebago customer service.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Have had 2 coaches both with basement a/c no problems over the last 10 years
Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

With 50,000 people using irv2 and the number of complaints about anything to do with Winnebago problems, my anly advice would be to try and not get a speeding ticket going over to finalize the deal !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote