Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Winnebago Insurance Experiences?

I noticed that they have insurance. Not sure if it's actually insurance specifically from Winnebago or another company that Winnebago contracts, but I'd like to hear if anyone has insurance on your RV with them and whether or not you're pleased with the service and rates etc.
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just requested a quote tonight, so we'll see. I don't believe it's through Winnebago, but with some broker called Farm and City... (FCIS) working with Winnebago. All I know is that we will NOT be with Blue Sky effective 2/11/2015!!!
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

FCIS is a Forest City, Iowa insurance broker who works with other companies. I used them and they found a favorable deal for me through Nationwide after GMAC hiked their price to continue coverage.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Is there a reason you wont be with Blue Sky ?
We were considering switching to them.

Thanks
Paul
Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Paul:

Blue Sky's first year amount was very reasonable, then come time to renew for 2nd year, the rate more than doubled. And no, we did not have any claims during the 1st year. I've read others in this forum have experienced the same thing also.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have Blue Sky on both our RV and toad. Second year premium on both went down a little, and deductible dropped by 25%. Did Blue Sky give you a reason for tge increase??
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mike_Harriett:

Their explanation was that it was due to the replacement cost of our motorhome. Didn't seem like a reasonable explanation to us, so we're finding someone else.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I here Miller Insurance is a goid broker. Don't kniw details, but couple of friends from Iowa like them.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I got a quote and FCIS (Winnebago) was $200 lower than my company of 5 years, National Interstate. So, I pulled out my National policy and the quote and called the agent. We compared apples to apples and, when we were done, even she agreed I should stay with National. Reasons?
- FCIS does not offer replacement cost coverage. You'll only get actual cash value.
- Diminishing deductible. My National Interstate deductible goes down every year. So does theirs but I'm already diminished with National and would start from scratch with FCIS.
- There were also some more minor issues, like no awning coverage and limited personal equipment / property coverages

All that said, they were far and away the second best quote I received this year in my annual review of various companies. GEICO, Good Sam and all the others were completely out to lunch. I've had great experience with National Interstate including a few major claims and am staying with them.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Right now I have everything with Allstate. I'll see what their pricing is like.
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Randall View Post
Right now I have everything with Allstate. I'll see what their pricing is like.
This will be interesting to see how the pricing turns out.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We went with the FCIS quote, which came in about $500 less than Blue Sky's 2nd year premium.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny1763 View Post
We went with the FCIS quote, which came in about $500 less than Blue Sky's 2nd year premium.
That's pretty good! It looks like Winnebago and FCIS are out to provide some competition to the other guys.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Insurance Experiences?

Quote:
Paul:

Blue Sky's first year amount was very reasonable, then come time to renew for 2nd year, the rate more than doubled. And no, we did not have any claims during the 1st year. I've read others in this forum have experienced the same thing also.

That's really strange. This is my third year with Blue Sky and my rates and deductibles are the same each year on my 2011 model year RV. Their rates beat competitors rates by $700+ per year and competitors only offer cash value, not replacement cost.

Have you had any insurance claims or accidents on any vehicles recently?

Have you talked to Blue Sky directly for the reasoning behind this? Doesn't seem right.

What was your FCIS quote?
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Alpha:

No accidents or claims of any kind.

DW asked Blue Sky for an explanation, their response was it was due to the replacement cost of our coach. And I agree it doesn't seem right. Blue Sky has the right to raise their premiums and we have the right to go with someone else, so good luck to them. We moved on.

Blue Sky's 2nd year premium went to $2100 from less than $1200. FCIS came in at $1600 and we got more coverage for personal items within the coach and a lesser deductible. Only caveat was FCIS would only coverage purchase price amount versus original MSRP.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Insurance Experiences?

Lanny,

That's so strange. I had almost the opposite experience! Progressive through USAA gave me a quote 2 weeks ago on my 2011 Journey for $2,200 with a flat replacement value of $175,000. Blue Sky gave me $1,500 with an ascending replacement value that tops out at $260,000 a few years from now at a cost of $1,500 including roadside assistance/towing and higher coverage. Progressive said they couldn't come close.

I have had Blue Sky on this RV for three years.

Perhaps it is the area of the country you reside in? I am in Georgia. Or, maybe it's the broker you were using?
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Alpha:

No accidents or claims of any kind.

DW asked Blue Sky for an explanation, their response was it was due to the replacement cost of our coach. And I agree it doesn't seem right. Blue Sky has the right to raise their premiums and we have the right to go with someone else, so good luck to them. We moved on.

Blue Sky's 2nd year premium went to $2100 from less than $1200. FCIS came in at $1600 and we got more coverage for personal items within the coach and a lesser deductible. Only caveat was FCIS would only coverage purchase price amount versus original MSRP.
Lanny, "Purchase Price?" Are you sure. When I talked to FCIS they would only cover my coach at it's actual cash value. When I asked what that meant, they said it was the wholesale value, basically what a dealer might give me in trade. That's a long way from what I, and I suspect, you paid the coach!

I'm sticking with National Interstate for all the reasons I posted but I do plan to get a quote from Blue Sky after reading the other post here.

If I were you, I'd call FCIS and ask them what amount they'd write a check for today if your coach was a total loss.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

DW had to provide the agent our paperwork showing what we bought the rig for, to include the taxes. The agent told DW that amount would be the amount paid if we had to replace the coach.

As to Blue Sky, we had them on our 5ers also, but at that time we were Missouri residents. Maybe location is the deciding factor, because we have subsequently changed to SD now that we are fulltime. Nevertheless, we decided to go with another provider, if Blue Sky is working out for you, that's great. We got quotes from Progressive, FMCA, FCIS, State Farm, and Blue Sky.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I tried to phone for a quote, listened to the recorded stuff, was put on hold to wait for a quote. I hung up, thinking-if that's how they treat potential customers wonder how they treat present policyholders.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, winnebago