Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Winnebago has been sound company for many,many years and I assume will stay that way.

They have taken a beating repairing all the Schwintek Slides including the ones that are out of warrant.

Like every other product you buy there are quality control problems and most of the time the manufactures will take care of you.

I'm on my fourth WBGO and truly think they build a quality motorhome and would recommend them to anyone which I have done in the past.

Lastly I think everyone would agree that a lot of the work force want to make big bucks but don't want to work for it.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

Winnebago has been sound company for many,many years and I assume will stay that way.

They have taken a beating repairing all the Schwintek Slides including the ones that are out of warrant.

Like every other product you buy there are quality control problems and most of the time the manufactures will take care of you.

I'm on my fourth WBGO and truly think they build a quality motorhome and would recommend them to anyone which I have done in the past.

Lastly I think everyone would agree that a lot of the work force want to make big bucks but don't want to work for it.

I want to enjoy my Winnebago experience... just have not yet[emoji58]
bartts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartts View Post
I want to enjoy my Winnebago experience... just have not yet[emoji58]
It is truly unfortunate when anyone buys an expensive RV and has problems that prevent them from using and enjoying it. While I cannot speak personally to Winnebago quality in recent years, the two I owned in the past were built pretty well considering what I paid. I can say for sure that if you read these forums much, you can read stories similar to yours on any of the manufacturer's forums......Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, Fleetwood, etc. It may not make you feel better but it can happen with any of them.

It sounds like Winnebago is indeed adjusting to a changing market and working to find a more efficient and effective way to do business. While they may downsize labor in Iowa, they are hiring production workers in Oregon. I do know that when we visited the Winnebago/Country Coach operation in Oregon this past September, they were actively building Grand Tours and working to get the former CC facility up to speed to build all/most of their DP's there. As previously noted, WGO has exhausted the available workforce in rural Iowa and is tapping into a nice pool of folks in Oregon who has a lot of experience building Country Coaches, Monaco's, Beavers and some other nice coaches in their day.

I'll also agree with the suggestion that you consider getting the coach back to the factory to address lingering issues. While it may be inconvenient to do so it may be your best option to get things fixed correctly.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Agree. The CC aquisition will be a positive, (reasons mentioned above). I anticipate quality coming out of it. I repeat myself from other related threads....
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3472344

Wishing you swift good luck getting things taken care of bartts. Keep us in touch, we care.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Yup. I agree it is a sad, and probably permanent reality.....that a percentage (varies) of workers in all lines of work.....are just "watch the clock, collect my check". It makes it hard on the whole operation. It's darn hard to ever come to a point where all workers in a facility care equally, to do the best job collectively. That's humans for ya. Not sayin' it's impossible, just difficult.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
It is truly unfortunate when anyone buys an expensive RV and has problems that prevent them from using and enjoying it. While I cannot speak personally to Winnebago quality in recent years, the two I owned in the past were built pretty well considering what I paid. I can say for sure that if you read these forums much, you can read stories similar to yours on any of the manufacturer's forums......Tiffin, Newmar, Entegra, Fleetwood, etc. It may not make you feel better but it can happen with any of them.

It sounds like Winnebago is indeed adjusting to a changing market and working to find a more efficient and effective way to do business. While they may downsize labor in Iowa, they are hiring production workers in Oregon. I do know that when we visited the Winnebago/Country Coach operation in Oregon this past September, they were actively building Grand Tours and working to get the former CC facility up to speed to build all/most of their DP's there. As previously noted, WGO has exhausted the available workforce in rural Iowa and is tapping into a nice pool of folks in Oregon who has a lot of experience building Country Coaches, Monaco's, Beavers and some other nice coaches in their day.

I'll also agree with the suggestion that you consider getting the coach back to the factory to address lingering issues. While it may be inconvenient to do so it may be your best option to get things fixed correctly.

I understand that many owners of other year models have been extremely happy, we would even consider getting a 2016/ 2017 replacement unit from WInnebago if the offer to exchange was made... I just think 2014-2015 was a bad manufacture year due to the massive increased demand for RV's and the manufacturer going through upheavals at the same time.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Quality

I believe that products like Winnebago's motorized lines are quite complex and no doubt difficult to mass produce. Combine that with sourcing from numerous vendors and this leads to quality issues, regardless of what manufacturer is building the coach.

When we (my spouse and I) bought our 2017 Era, we expected that there would be bugs to work out. We also know that we are both willing and capable of solving some of the problems on our own. I know that not everyone is either willing or capable of that.

We perceived Winnebago to be less than top quality, but certainly competitive quality. We also found that the Winnebago product was the best value among the choices we considered.

Our comment to the dealer (Lichtsinn ) and Winnebago is that we wished there were a better-organized system of quality control all along the manufacturing line, as well as an intense overall QC inspection before shipping. Think Cobalt Boats. Nobody complains about that quality.

It seemed the Canadian products were the best build quality, but also high priced. We also felt that products like Airstream and the higher end Roadtreks were not that much better quality and pricey and thus not as good a value.

To some extent, it comes down to expectations and what the purchaser is willing to accept as his own responsibility for curing the inevitable ills.
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi,

The problem with that statement is that not everyone will agree on what "big bucks" means. I am not sure what Winnebago pays it's line workers, but I would say that somewhere near $30.00 per hour would be appropriate, but with the huge over supply of unskilled and low skilled labor in Iowa, I doubt they pay that much.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
the reason Winnie stays in business is that they adjust to the market. Products are only built when someone orders one. They are not built and then sold to dealers. Each dealer must custom order a product for their lot and resale. They do not have "stock" sitting on their storage lots.
This is partially correct.
Yes each dealer specifies/orders the units the want to inventory on their lot but the are required as dealers to inventory a certain number of units or risk losing their dealership.

I purchased a Winnebago from a dealer that we really liked and had great service. When we went back to purchase another they were no longer a Winnebago dealer because they didn't want to inventory the amount of units that Winnebago told them they had to.

They are still an authorized Winnebago service center but they can't sell new units.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Industries having financial problems?

Did anyone see the sales incentive of a 3 year 100k warranty on rigs purchased starting March 1st? This is a troubling sign. I have seen this type of offer usually when one of three issues arrive for manufacturers: 1, sales are way below target. 2, reputation of quality is an issue reducing sales. &/or 3, the company is in financial trouble. This type of offer trades future profit for immediate cash flow. I think that reason 3 caused reason 2, which then resulted in reason 1....
That said, looking at the financials, since 2014, revenues are up, EPS is up, only issue obvious is current ratio is on the low side.. any thought So?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #31
Site Team

Winnebago Industries having financial problems?

The purchase of the Country Coach factory (and name) in order to expand capacity and their acquisition of Grand Design for half a billion is evidence the company is healthy and growing and has big plans for the future. Not worried about the company, but I want them to balance their desire to expand with a strong focus on quality.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, winnebago