Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago Heater Core Problem Again?

As some of you recall I had a leaking heater core this past winter. The case enclosure had been changed in my model year and I was forced to purchase a complete assembly that included a heater core, AC evaporator, and all controls attached to the case. This was at the time SCS Frigget was going out of business.

I winterized my MH in October and took it out yesterday to have the latest Norcold recall performed. When I turned the heater on I smelled antifreeze. The smell went away after about 15 minutes and I did not smell anything on the way home. I checked for any signs of leakage on the bottom drain hose and on the passenger floor. I also checked the connections and control on the top. I found nothing. I am not sure of the latest cores had the threaded hose tubes that caused lots of reported problems. My years of experience tells me when I smell antifreeze there is a small leak somewhere.

I had to pull the front cap to install the complete case and would probably have to do the same thing to remove it.

Has anyone else had a heater core fail this soon? I did a search but did not find anything about anybody using stop leak to stop a small leak. I have a fear of plugging the radiator or heater using stop leak.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would have someone pressure test the system. just make sure they do not put more pressure then what the cap is rated at. also they can check the cap to make sure it is holding ok. try to test it when it is cold as sometimes a leak around a loose hose will stop when it gets hot. I would only use stop leak for an emergency. it is probably just a hose clamp that needs snugged up.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

You can get your own pressure tester.. fill'er up to what your cap is and let it sit..If it goes down quickly, you have a leak. With the pressure in, you can find the leak w/o having the coolant hot..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Back in 2004/2005 there were some minor coolant leak problems with the 8.1L engine. At that time Workhorse recommended using a GM stop leak product.

My heater core had a small leak a couple of years ago and I used the GM product. Although I also considered it a temporary fix it is still working.

With a search you might find the threads from way back then about the GM stuff.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

DON: Sorry to hear you still have a problem.. If I understand correctly, you smelled the antifreeze upon initial start up (only), and did not find any signs of a leak around the new heater core, after returning from your short trip. If so, here is what I HOPE you experienced, because the fix is far less costly than tearing into the heater system (again).

There are several "known" places on the MOTOR which have been known to "weep" coolant which can puddle in a low spot on the motor. On first start up, you can detect that "sweet" smell as the coolant is evaporated by the hot motor. Usually, the weeping stops while the motor is hot, but "can" return when the engine is cold for extended periods. If so, you will probably experience the same thing when you next start up.

Rather than trying to find a problem with the new heater core, first see if the problem re-occurs after letting the Chieftain set in the garage for a few days or more. If it does, and you still see no signs around the heater core, then it is likely the motor, and just a little of a "stop leak" type product may put an end to the weeping. Good luck.

So as not to highjack your own thread......please consider a new one regarding your Norcold recall experience, as I need to get that done also. Thanks, "patches".
Old 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Geez Don, don't you hate it when it's one thing after another.

If you find it's tiny leak that's not easy to fix, I wouldn't hesitate to use AlumAseal. I had some heater core joints cracking in my F250. I would get the smell but no liquid found. AlumAseal worked well for many years (10+). Had the truck for 25 yrs and 120K miles...... never did replace the heater core. That engine had to work hard as I had a heavy Lance camper with a dune buggy trailer and never had a cooling problem with AlumAseal. In the large cooling systems in our rigs, with coach heater and motor aid, I would use 2 sticks of Alumaseal.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys for your replies. We are in the middle of our annual 10 day dear hunting season here in Wisconsin. It is very difficult to find a shop that has anybody that wants to work so I will get on my problem next week. I will make a post when we have determined the problem.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Update

I took the MH in to the shop yesterday. The leak was diagnosed as a heater hose connection on right head area. AF was running down on to exhaust manifold which caused the sweet smell of antifreeze. Nothing serious thankfully.

Don
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don, good to hear your AF leak was minor. (Sorry I missed you guys last night).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
...... The leak was diagnosed as a heater hose connection on right head area. ..... Nothing serious thankfully.
Don
I just LOVE IT when I am "almost" right! For me, most of the time, that has to be good enough. Ed
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I just LOVE IT when I am "almost" right! For me, most of the time, that has to be good enough. Ed
Ed;

I am happy to admit you were right on target again. That is one of the reasons I call you a true friend. That being said I am worried that if you wear a hat, now might be the time to check if it still fits?

Don
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I "almost" need a new hat. Almost right has become my new "normal" Ed