Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We are at the factory in Iowa to have a few warranty items repaired and are camping at Camp Winnebago.
They took us in after making our appointment in advance and repaired all the items I had scheduled plus 7 more I didn't schedule. Our Technician Brenda is super and explains everything she has done and is going to do. Mike our advisor is also very good and explained what he will do if there is a problem.
Naturally everyone at Customer service gets to know Angela and she is very nice as is Kelly and Gina in parts.
All in all Winnebago has done a fine job and we are happy with the results.
As I have stated before on this forum, I am a proud owner of my 3rd Winnebago and like them.
While here in Forest City we did look at the 2006 models and they are nice but we will keep this one.
Again thanks Winnebago
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We are at the factory in Iowa to have a few warranty items repaired and are camping at Camp Winnebago.
They took us in after making our appointment in advance and repaired all the items I had scheduled plus 7 more I didn't schedule. Our Technician Brenda is super and explains everything she has done and is going to do. Mike our advisor is also very good and explained what he will do if there is a problem.
Naturally everyone at Customer service gets to know Angela and she is very nice as is Kelly and Gina in parts.
All in all Winnebago has done a fine job and we are happy with the results.
As I have stated before on this forum, I am a proud owner of my 3rd Winnebago and like them.
While here in Forest City we did look at the 2006 models and they are nice but we will keep this one.
Again thanks Winnebago
Old 09-25-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Great to read a positive post. Glad its going so well for you and the factory is doing a good job..Happy miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We just left there a few weeks ago and I have to echo your sentiments. Everything they fixed seems to have been done properly.

Our experience last year was also very good. We didn't even have an appointment last year and they got us in on Friday after we thought we had a house battery charging problem on Thursday. They fixed some stuff that I just mentioned but didn't really think they would take on – like a noisy water pump – but they did.

We haven't really had much go wrong. The bedroom slide had an intermittent leak and the generator would shut down intermittently. Intermittents are the worst kind of problem to fix but they found both problems.

The service folks there were very nice even in the face of some pretty aggravated people. Most people are pretty understanding even when they aren't happy, but some are not.
I wouldn't have Angela's job for anything. She puts up with a lot of crap and doesn't let it faze her.

Several of us were having so much fun socializing there on the rally field that we asked to stay on over the Labor Day holiday even though our work was done. Winnebago said okay, so we had a big potluck.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Not to spoil your positive replies, I'm sure they like to hear it, but on the other side, wait till your warranty just expires and you have a problem resulting from poor quality workmanship, that didn't show up in the 1st year.

If you never have to deal with these problems, consider yourself lucky. There are a few of you out there, but not all of us are that lucky. So be patient with us when we try to bite our tongues and let you boast about your experience.
"All is not equal."

Radarr
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #6
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Just curious, but how long in advance does it take to schedule a factory appointment?

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Radarr,,,sorry to rain on your parade,,,but we were just at the factory with Tom-NC and others, and the factory repaired two major items on our coach at no charge, even though our coach has been out of warranty for two years...They do bend over backwards to please..

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

PDB,
I made my appoiuntment about 2 months in advance as I was going to a rally in Michigan and scheduled it for right after rally.
I also had to stop at HWH in Moscow along the way.
There are people here who don't have an appt. and they usually get in by Friday however my advice to you would be to make an appointment and they will give you a camping permit too. It has electric on site and water and dump station available.
Another good thing is meeting fellow owners and learning new things.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
doc
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Just curious, but how long in advance does it take to schedule a factory appointment?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were in Clear Lake, just down the road from Forest City and I called one afternoon. The very nice lady on the phone said "bring it in in the morning and we'll get to you as a non-appointment". We drove up and within 30-40 minutes the coach was in the back being worked on. This might be an exception and they were slow that day, but I really don't think it was. These guys do this all the time Winnebago products is all they work on. I believe the rate per hour was/is cheaper than the shop at the dealer here in Georgia. This was a couple of years ago and things may have changed.
We were very happy with the service
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think we are destine for Iowa to take care of some serious problems with our new coach. Do they reimburse you for travel costs for a warranty repair? Or is it on a case by case basis?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:47 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by resqguy:
Do they reimburse you for travel costs for a warranty repair? Or is it on a case by case basis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't be disappointed to find out that you won't be eligible for reimbursement for travel to Forest City.

You should have your local dealership, (?? Lazy Days ??) accomplish warranty work while in your home state.

One thing that you can take relief in is that after your service experience in Forest City you'll be good to go as you travel to your next destination. While there you can take in the sights of beautiful Forest City, they have their own Sherman Tank. Don't miss out on taking the factory tour, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You can always travel out to Mason City, there's a beautiful Amish Furniture store right on the main road leading into town.

Few if any OEMs reimburse owners for travel expenses but as you might hope on a case by case basis it might possible but I doubt it.

If you have any doubts at all call Winnebago Service, make your case, and ask "them" if they will reimburse. I would make sure that I could make an excellent case as to why the selling dealership can't fulfill your warranty needs but I'm sure they have heard every possible scenario in the book. If yours in unique it might work.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'm having a couple major problems and an bunch of minor ones. Last night we got a nice rainstorm and three of the windows on the slides leaked water like crazy. The rear slide was leaking water as well. My wife and I spent most of the night trying to catch the water using towels.

Because of the leaks the wallpaper that is laminated to the wall panel on the slide is bubbling up. That inside wall panel on the slide will need to be replaced.

While I would love to take in the sites in Forest City I won't be able to. My vacation is used up and I can't take time off work without pay. I will have to drop the MH off and stay at a hotel someplace near my work.

I don't know if LD has the ability to reinstall the windows properly and replace the inside wall panel.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Tom, you home yet? We got home 4:00 today. Radarr, our coach is also out of warranty and they fixed several items.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

PDB said<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just curious, but how long in advance does it take to schedule a factory appointment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you to make sure you get a specific date you need to call them in March when they start taking appointments.

You can get appointments without calling so early but if you have to have a specific date, you want to call early.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

beabop,

It's always nice to hear when a winnebago coach owner is treated with respectfully and given some good will. After all you paid for it. If you keep your eyes to this and other forums, situations like yours do happen. It's kind of like rolling dice.

Radarr
Old 10-02-2005, 04:06 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
It's kind of like rolling dice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>and at Winnebago Industries the advantage rests with the house and 'you're" the house.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

That sounds like a "Paid Political Announcement", are you running for office?

Radarr
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I have always been told if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by resqguy:
I'm having a couple major problems and an bunch of minor ones. Last night we got a nice rainstorm and three of the windows on the slides leaked water like crazy. The rear slide was leaking water as well. My wife and I spent most of the night trying to catch the water using towels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>One of my issues with the Winnie water test is that it is done with the slides IN. I have a leak on the bedroom slide that has absolutely defied all of my attempts to fix it. The left hand cabin slide forward window also leaked. I temporarly stopped that leak with a little tiny smear of silicon around the window frame top (outside). That will work until we get the widow pulled.

I would give LD a chance at pulling the windows, but I don't know about replacing the wall panel. Think I would call Winnie service and talk over the issues with them and see what they recommend.

We have been working through a few problems as well and I have expected as much. We will just keep chipping away at them until we get things settled down.

We were boat owners for 25 years and there was always about two hours of maintenance needed for every hour of sailing.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

John,
To be perfectly honest with you concerning your leaks. I would contact Winnebago and have your information put in their system computer and if possdible I would go there to get it repaired as they know the coach and will take care of the problem correctly.
Don't know if your local dealer is equipped to do that kind of thing and I wouldn't attempt to do it myself as it may void warranty.
Good Luck and by all means give them a call as it is a free call anyhow plus you make like to see the plant and take the tour.