Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Factory for Service?

Hi, Please forgive me if this seems like a silly question, we're getting close to living in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N for much longer time periods than we ever have before. We're really excited about it, and a bit nervous. Our RV is great, runs well, no leaks, slides almost always work with the first push of the button, ha!

So I was just wondering about something. We're going to be near the factory in July. Does anyone think it's a good idea for a 12 year old class A to be given the once over by a tech at the factory? You know, just to take a look at slide mechanics & seals, the roof and all that. Do they even offer such a service at the factory? I'll have to check, but if they do, good idea or am I just letting the excitement get to me?
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

First I concur with getting any work done at the factory is great if you can. The problem is in July they do not do appointments with the GNR going on, they work a limited service each day in order to serve everyone at the rally and they do a good job. But if you are at the Rally get it worked on then, they work on specific items. I just looked at their instructions and they will work on 7 items at a time, then you go back on the list for next available time.

Bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It's OK to get excited about this life style - that's why so many of us do it! I highly recommend the factory for work - and if they tell you they don't do a 'general overview' check out Lichtsinn RV (about a mile from the factory service center). Please also get your chassis / tires looked at carefully and consider engine, trans and gen service plus lube. As previously said - July is crazy - make sure you nail down an appointment early ...

Safe, and enjoyable, travels ...
Old 03-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
Hi, Please forgive me if this seems like a silly question, we're getting close to living in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N for much longer time periods than we ever have before. We're really excited about it, and a bit nervous. Our RV is great, runs well, no leaks, slides almost always work with the first push of the button, ha!

So I was just wondering about something. We're going to be near the factory in July. Does anyone think it's a good idea for a 12 year old class A to be given the once over by a tech at the factory? You know, just to take a look at slide mechanics & seals, the roof and all that. Do they even offer such a service at the factory? I'll have to check, but if they do, good idea or am I just letting the excitement get to me?
As others have mentioned July isn't the best time, mainly because of the Winnebago GNR (Grand National Rally).
WIT Club Grand National Rally - Overview | Winnebago International Travelers

This year it's July 18th thru the 23rd.

Any time other than that you can make an appointment and get anything you want repaired. I would e mail them a list of the things you want looked at and ask for an estimate. If the roof has never been resealed there's a good chance it will need to be done. It can be in the several hundred dollar range if the entire thing needs to be resealed.

The last time we were there I believe the hourly rate was $115.00 per hour. They aren't the cheapest repair service, but I believe they are the best. Over the years we've had both our motorhomes there for service, and haven't been disappointed. They do excellent work in a timely manner and will explain everything they've done when you pick it up.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

In addition if you need to stay there overnight while they work on it, they have Electric hookups for their service customers right there at the front door.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
In addition if you need to stay there overnight while they work on it, they have Electric hookups for their service customers right there at the front door.
And if all those are full they have hookups across the highway in the rally field. You have to get a permit slip from the service center first though.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Okay, so we would like to attend the rally and get on the service schedule. I went to the WIT site and read about it, was ready to pay the fees, but then I could not find any info on pets other than the address and phone numbers of local vets & boarders. Are pets allowed at the rally?

This is a deal breaker for us.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Okay, so we would like to attend the rally and get on the service schedule. I went to the WIT site and read about it, was ready to pay the fees, but then I could not find any info on pets other than the address and phone numbers of local vets & boarders. Are pets allowed at the rally?

This is a deal breaker for us.
Yes pets are allowed at the rally. We've been there several times and always take our 2 Cocker Spaniels. If I remember correctly one of the days there's even a "Pet Parade".
Old 03-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Pets are allowed for sure. If I remember right they even have activities for them also. When you call to register you can ask. But no problem. Come and have fun.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! We will be there, and very much look forward to it!

Tags
service, winnebago