Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Factory

We're heading to Forest City in April and need to find a motel that is pet friendly. Thanks, appreciate any information.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #2

Chief, if you do not find one in Forrest City, Clear Lake is 30 miles away. Bigger town lots more to pick from. Enjoy Iowa!!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have friends with pets that stayed in a Super 8 in Forest City.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Super 8 is the only game in town. We stayed there a couple of years ago with our cat. Do make a reservation though. When Winne is holding a training class the Super 8 fills up with techs from all over the country. Here's a link: Super 8 Hotels | Forest City Iowa Hotel | Forest City, IA 50436 | Near Downtown shopping, Fishing nearby & Golf nearby
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree with making reservations at Super 8. We were there last early November for work at the Winnebago factory and Super 8 was 99.9% full with, field gas, I believe, construction workers. The manager told us that they expect to have these workers living there for many months.

Are you going to be there in your RV? Winnebago has electric hookups for about 15 rigs for those who are having work done at the factory along with some up on the hill at the WIT building. Depending on the work being done, Winnebago usually returns the RV every afternoon between 3 and 4pm. If any exterior painiting is being done, the RV may have to remain in the heated paint booth overnight, requiring a stay at Super 8.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Cheryl -- we have reservations at the factory RV parking area but we're not sure if we will be able to use the coach each night. One of the repairs will involve removing a ceiling cabinet and ceiling padding. Calling tomorrow to check rates and if pets are allowed. Were we go, our two girls have to go or its a 'no go'!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

During our visit there for 5 nights, Winnebago got the RV back to us each night, even though the work was not complete, except for the night in the paint booth. When we checked in at Winnebago they told us what night that would be so that we could reserve a room at Super 8.

We arrived the afternoon before our appoinment day because we had to check in at 7am the next day. They have a nice comfortable lounge there along with 2 tv's, newspaper, coffee, etc., and vending machines for other drinks. You're allowed to bring in your pets, as many did. They request, though, that the pets be kept off the furniture so some brought in pillows, cages, etc. There is also free WiFi and their parts store. If you are a member of WIT there is a 10% discount on parts, including those used in your repair work.

We had our towed car with us so we went into town for lunch as needed, or brought it with us in a cooler. We also took a drive out to the state park and walked up to the lookout area which has a 360 degree view as far as you can see! There is also a laundromat in town if needed. A dump station is available on the WIT rally grounds.

I can't say how nice everyone at the factory was. If they're giving tours, take one. We were disappointed we didn't get to because the tour season was over when we were there.

Safe travels.....
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again Cheryl -- we're excited! We have reservations and Super 8 folks were very nice -- everyone has been super friendly and very helpful.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Thanks again Cheryl -- we're excited! We have reservations and Super 8 folks were very nice -- everyone has been super friendly and very helpful.
You could always rent a motorhome from Lichtsinn Motors.

I would like an appointment with Winnebago the end of April. Do you know how busy they are or how far ahead you had to plan for your appointment?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
You could always rent a motorhome from Lichtsinn Motors.

I would like an appointment with Winnebago the end of April. Do you know how busy they are or how far ahead you had to plan for your appointment?
Jerry, I would be on the phone today!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I agree....call them now!

In late September last year they were booking appointments one month out ahead. I've been told you can just show up without an appointment but I don't know that I would do that.

Last November there were about 15 of us early Monday morning. Each day as the week went by a few rigs left so that by Friday morning we were one of the last to leave.

I don't know if Winnebago only makes Monday morning appointments, but that week no one new arrived. I would suspect that if someone showed up Wednesday or Thursday they might have gotten in for work, especially if it wasn't going to take much time, but I wouldn't go that route.

After you've made an appoinment they will send you in the mail a form to put on your windshield that shows you have an appoinment. It's sort of like a camping permit that says it's OK for you to be camped in their small RV park.

We were on the road when we made our appointment and did not have mail service. I asked for them to scan the sheet and e-mail it to us so I could print it out, but they said not to worry about it. Just go ahead and park in one of the spots and they would let security know about us.

Not only do they do repair work at the factory but also service work. It was time for our rig to have an oil change and a lube so they did that, too. The cost was right in line with what our local dealer charges.

For us, it was a pleasant experience working with everyone at the factory.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You can show without an appointment and many people do. They will put you on a call list and do their best to work you in.
We always had an appointment but talked to a lot of folks that didn't. The first time we were there a bunch of folks that had been to an FMCA rally had stopped by for work and it took some several days for some to get in.
The next time it wasn't so busy and people seemed to get in within a day or so.

Actually we did have work done without an appointment once. We were going to attend the Grand National Rally last July and wanted to have a windshield replaced the week after the rally. They do not take appointments that week but said they do work on first come first serve basis that week, so we checked in on the Monday the rally started and they scheduled us for two days later - during the rally.
We asked if they could reschedule us after the rally was over since we didn't want to miss some tours we were scheduled for and they accommodated us . As I recall we were called on the Tuesday after the rally.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The Lodge, right across the street from the factory and adjacent to the GNR grounds accepts pets. I had a ground level room with a patio. It was almost like being at home with my back yard. Plenty of space for pets to exercise.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Jerry, I would be on the phone today!
Yesterday I emailed Winnebago Service and now have an appointment for Monday April 26. Mike Hamson (Customer Service Technical Advisor) helped me out and will be sending an email with a confirmation letter and parking permit. Below are the phone numbers for Mike Hamson. Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction and to act now.

Customer Service Technical Advisor
Office:641-585-6893 or 866-311-7133
Fax:641-585-6967
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote