Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago Factory

I will be going past Forest City in a week or so. I was planning on stopping by the Winnebago Factory to take a tour.

I own a 2004 Sightseer 30b and have a few little problems I would like to get repaired. Does the factory do service work and what kind?

Can we camp at the facility or do we need to go to a campground?

I am looking forward to seeing where my Winnebago was made.

Tom Egan (WIT Member)
Old 05-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I read some post that suggest that no repair is done at the Factory.

Look for the closest and biggest Winnie-Itasca dealer to the plant:

Iowa RV Service - Lichtsinn Motors - Winnebago, Itasca, and Workhorse trained Technicians
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The factory does do repairs, and yes they have camping slots there. You'll need to schedule and appointment ahead of time with a list of all things you want looked at. That way they can have the necessary parts on hand (if the parts are available) to do the repairs when you get there. The longer lead time you can give them the better. The only exception to doing factory repairs is that they will not do them during their big July Rally.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

While Winnebago prefers you to book an appointment for reasons indicated above, you can "drop in" and request service. You will be put on a waiting list. You will likely wait several days before you can be in if it is a significant repair and less if something smaller. Assuming you have less than a full days work, you could get in towards the end of the week They start fresh with appointments every Monday and while you will still be on the list, appointments have priority over those without. They are approaching the busiest time of the year in June and July so good luck!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

They have good facilities there for you to wait if you don't have an appointment and you have to have the coach ready when called at 7:00 am in the morning. And they do not charge for you to stay there while you're waiting. We waited 4 day's but had a great spot with water and power. No Dump at the site. You have to take your rig to a dump there but it's not far. I like the folks at Forest City.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The factory does do repairs, and yes they have camping slots there.
X2. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
The factory does do repairs, and yes they have camping slots there. You'll need to schedule and appointment ahead of time with a list of all things you want looked at. That way they can have the necessary parts on hand (if the parts are available) to do the repairs when you get there. The longer lead time you can give them the better. The only exception to doing factory repairs is that they will not do them during their big July Rally.
Well Sir,
Yes, the "Service Center" at the factory DOES do work on coaches DURING the GNR in July. The main difference between then and any other time is, they don't take appointments for that time frame. It's a first come first serviced basis, based on you put in your request early in the morning and, if, they get around to you on that day, you'll be called. Your name will be posted on a sheet of paper, on a list. They get to you when they get to you. They have TWO camping areas that are used when coaches are either going to be worked on or, are waiting.

The one right at where you sign up for work has about 6-8 spots if I recall but, it primarily reserved for folks that are lined up for work the next morning or so. Then, there's at least 13-15 spots at the Winnebago Reception Center, outside the factory compound. Those, as has been stated, will have water and electricity but, no sewer. For dump purposes, there is a county park, about a 1/2 mile north, towards Lichtsinn motors, that has 5 dump sites in a row. Very easy to get to and use.

By the way, in that county park, there is also a camp ground. We toured it but, did not stay there. Looked like a nice place.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just left Winnebago a couple of weeks ago. They have upgraded the power boxes at the reception area on the hill. Only two 30amp plugs there now, compared with when I was there a few years ago, the rest are 50amps so don't forget your adapter!
Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Great experience to go there
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

As stated before they do no service appointments for 3 weeks of the Grand National Rally. One week before rally, the week of the rally and the week after the rally as per this info from their site:

http://witclub.com/images/media/reso...0From%20CS.pdf

The rally this year is July 21 to 25 so no appointments for July 14 to August 1. They are very busy for several weeks before and after the rally. They ask that you make your appointment ahead of time enough for them to get all the parts needed.

The area near the Visitor Center is for overnight parking. They do have electrical hookups including 50A but no water or sewer. Water and Dump Station is available at the town park for free. Very nice multiple rig dump station.

The dump station and water fill is at:
600 E J St., Forest City, IA
Forest City, IA 50436
GPS 43.263274, -93.631246
This is very close to the Winnebago overnight parking area.

When the parking area is full they let you park in their rally grounds (except during the rally) which is just accross the road from the Visitor Center at:
1107-1201 U.S. 69
Forest City, IA 50436
43.250459, -93.636812

Good luck. The tour is very good.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info. Should be there in a week or so.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Y'all got me curious enough to want to pay a visit sometime and take a tour! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure about the rest of the year but, during the GNR at Winnebago last year, there were TWO factory tours. One was kind-of a general tour, that could tolerate around 20 or so people. And it did NOT have the close-up almost hands-on approach.

The other tour, is a more IN DEPTH tour. There's only about 8 at a time that get to do that one due to the fact that it IS A HANDS ON type tour. You get real close and personal with many of the assembly techs and, manufacturing techs. You can ask them questions and handle pieces that were just made and more.

The first one or, general one is available to just about anyone. I can't remember the specs on how we obtained that tour.

But, the second one, the more in-depth one, is only available to GNR members. That is, you have to sign up for the GNR and, as I understand it, you have to be a WIT (Winnebago-Itasca) member to attend the rally. Once you're a member, you sign up for the GNR and, as I understand it, you can pick what SPECIALTY tours you'd like to attend. They are limited in available slots so, if anyone's interested in the close up and personal factory tour, get your membership to the WIT and, get setup with the GNR.

The in-depth factory floor tour is a tough one to get into. It fills up real fast during the registration to the GNR. I got lucky 'cause a friends wife wanted to attend an RV driving class that was being held there and, gave me her spot in that tour, yahoooo!

There are quite a few specialty tours at that rally. Some are, the sewing-upholstery, plastics (holding and water tank manufacturing and building), Cabinetry, and many more.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

No Extnd Warranty at GNR or "drop in" (no appt) Svc Ctr?

Reading this thread, and ability to use Extended Warranty to help pay costs for WBG Svc Ctr work at Forest City has not been mentioned?

So, here is my understanding:

Only WBG warranty claims will be processed during GNR.

BUT - No Extended Warranty claims will be processed during GNR.

No Extended Warranty claims will be processed if you just "drop in," and do not have a scheduled service appointment in advance of your arrival date (i e, the "wait in line behind scheduled appointments".) And there is a limit to number of items and scope of work they will do if you just "drop in, no scheduled appointment."

We have done it both ways, once as a "drop in" we paid all charges out of pocket. And one scheduled svc appointment where our Extd Warranty claims were processed, and covered most of needed repairs. We have only praise for WBG and how they handled & helped with our need both times. And, YES, we did know in advance that charges for the drop in repair were all on us (no ESW), and we were grateful for the ability to drop-in and receive quality repairs.

Great people at Winnebago Service Ctr, Forest City, bar none!

Safe travels to all
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

There's also a very nice City park about 1/2 of a mile from the factory. I think the name is, Parmalee Park or something like that. It's right on the Winnebago River which flows through town. A lot of good eating places around as well. They have a dump station water and electricity. It was pay in an envelope so no gate guard. We were there right after the Rally.

TeJay
Old 05-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I can attest to the great folks both at the factory service center and at Lichtsinn motors right up the road.
Lichtsinn motors also does do warranty work whether or not you bought it there. They also have on site camping with electric available at no cost for customers service or purchasing RV's. Of course they also do repairs if off warranty at good rates.
Appointments are pretty mandatory at either facility this time of year
Old 05-31-2015, 05:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Just an aside, while in Forest City, go to that Grocery Store (between Lichtsinn's & the Factory) get a few "Iowa Pork Ribeyes" I have not seen them since I left there-They are great! They cook up on a little grill to perfection.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The grocery store is called Bull's and many people stock up on Iowa pork while at GNR. Some fill their freezer. Bill's will cut them to size (like 3/4 or 1 inch) if you ask them.
Enjoy.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago