Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago Comes Through

We have had our Vista for 2 years and zero problems(other than the ones we caused). Our gray tank always drained slow but we didn't think much about it. This year, after driving some very rough roads in CN, we started noticing some water on the ground when water drained. Things started smelling so we decided to have someone look at it. Went to our repair guy in our winter location and he discovered the problem right away(when we arrived water was pouring onto the ground).

Our gray tank had shifted. There is suppose to be 2 pieces of styrofoam supporting the tank and ours only had one. 5 hours later all was fixed. This was not an easy fix. He ended up supporting the tank with 2x4s and misc. pieces of wood. Access to the tanks was minimal. Then he had to get the drain pipes and vent pipe back into the tank, another challenge.

We were out of warranty but I sent the info to Winnebago with pictures. We kept in communication as the repair place would not answer Winnebagos requests for more info(have no idea why). Recently we added a few more pictures of the repair with all the wood holding things.

I received a call yesterday and Winnebago will reimburse us the full amount. I was totally surprised but this has made me a very happy Winnebago person(I was happy before).

Thank you Winnebago.....................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That's great news! I was looking at our tanks the other day (new Vista) and noticed the foam. That's all that is holding it?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:23 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I really don't know the answer to that. My feeling is ýes. It is a big tank and appears fairly heavy so the foam should suffice. There should be 2 pieces of foam. The one that is visible and one further back on the right, hard to see.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-09-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Did you have any water leak inside your coach from the grey tank shifting?

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

No, not in the coach. The tank is below the coach level as are all the drains so everything drains down to the ground for a while. As it became worse got worse one outside cabinet wet that's all we had

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

sent you a PM did you get it?

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yes. Will reply later

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Here is a pic from Winnie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf foam under gray tank 10T83479 - 2015 36Y Vista.pdf (224.5 KB, 155 views)

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Here is a pic from Winnie
Thanks for posting this. I was looking at mine yesterday and it looks like the grey tank ('17 31BE) sits on the chassis. But, the fresh water tank does have foam under the visible portion. I'll look in some more detail this weekend.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Glad it's fixed and you were reimbursed for the issue, but nothing for your time or inconvenience. They got off cheaply.

It's yet another issue of the lack of quality, with the backlog of units they have to build it's a non-issue for Winnebago. Easier to let the customer discover the blunder than stop the line and wait for a block of styro. They know we talk about the lack of quality, they don't care.

The automotive industry learned the hard way what a lack of quality has cost them, and still does. There quality is now on par with the Asians and Germans, yet they have lost those buyers forever. Winnebago knows that scenario is far in the future for them and is playing out the clock.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Wow! You must of had a lot of problems with yours. This has been our only problem. Everything else has been perfect.

I don't know who you have had problems with but I have never heard of any company that reimburses for your time and inconvenience. Please enlighten me who does............

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just sayin' lady. You're fortunate that's all that's been wrong. You see, they know they won't reimburse for our time and loss of use.

To answer your question, we had to take it to Forest City to have the cheap Schwintek slide assemblies adjusted/motors replaced after our selling dealer had had it for a month.

As a former dealership service manager I well remember the junk Detroit put out and stuck their dealers with. How do you think the Asian and German vehicles rose to such prominence? By the way, what do you own? We have a Cadillac, Buick and Corvette. As a Veteran I'll always support American products, doesn't mean I'm always happy with them.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

We have been rving for over 40 years, primarily trlrs and 5ths, this is our first venture in MH. Over the years we have had very little trouble with any of our trailers. Both Heartland and Winnebago have been exceptionally good. We have had zero problems with our slides, keep them lubed and sync each time we use them. We travel 7 months a year and the slides go in and out a lot. You don't hear on the forums from people who don't have problems, only those that do. I know of 4 other people who have Winn. and none have had any serious problems. Maybe it is the roads and speed you travel that cause the problems. We rarely go over 60-65 and travel the interstates. I don't think the rough secondary roads are good for these massive MHs. Not a problem with trucks and trailers because there is flex, but the mhs don't have as much flex so we try to stick to better roads. In fact, this problem didn't show up until after we had been on some very poor roads in Quebec.

We buy American also. A Mercedes and a Honda CRV. Never buyu a Mercedes again, just like we would never buy GM. Had an International truck that was sweet, never a problem and solid as a rock.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago Comes Through

I have a 2015 35F. This is our first RV. We've had a few issues with ours concerning workmanship. However, Winnebago came through on all the issues: some leaky lower bins, crappy front molding between the front cab and sides, rusting bin door hinges, scratched wall in dining area, scratched tv screen, faulty hydraulic leveler. Winnebago actually asked how we wanted to have them fixed: the bins were relined with new rubber, molding was painted to match the front cab, all hinges were replaced and left unpainted (black, which looks much better and will not rust), replaced kitchen wall, replaced TV, replaced faulty leveler. All done at no cost.

I view this the same as warranty repairs on a newly built home. There are always things needing attention in the first year of of a new build. I would not compare a RV build quality to a car. Are there better builds than a Winnebago...yes. Are there worse builds.....quite a few. You get what you pay for and can afford. We love our Vista, but look forward to upgrading in the future. At that time, we will compare manufacturers. I personally think the best manufacturers in my upgrade price range are Winnebago, Newmar and Tiffin....however that may change when we are seriously looking.

BTW, we own 2014 Chevy Malibu (mileage car), 2015 BMW 5 Series, 2012 Shelby Mustang.
Personally, I don't care too much for GM products due to quality issues. Cars look nice, quality not there.
No issues with Ford products including the F53 chassis. However, i did add additional suspension components to the F53.
The BMW is by far the best vehicle i have owned quality wise.
I know others will have different experiences with manufacturers for their RV and automobiles. Some good and some bad.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago