Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Chassis Information

I need help for where I find out what chassis information is available to use to purchase air bags for the front of my 94 Winnebago 29rq unit?

The people at ride rite need the chassis information.

Thank you.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I need help for where I find out what chassis information is available to use to purchase air bags for the front of my 94 Winnebago 29rq unit?

The people at ride rite need the chassis information.

Thank you.
Assuming yours is a Chevy, it will be a P32 chassis. There were different bags inside the front coil springs for the different weight ratings, so they may also need your front axle GAWR, or at least the GVWR of the chassis. This info should be on a label on / near the driver's door. Good luck.
Ed
Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It is a P32 chassis. There are not different bage for different weight ratings, just different air pressures.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can see one possibility HERE . If you Google P30 airbag you will see a bunch of info.

Regarding the pressure the airbags should be set at :

I had a 96 motor home on a 95 P30/32 chassis. The vehicle owners manual described how to set the pressure in the airbags. In case you don't have the manual this is what mine said:

The owner’s manual gives the following ranges:

4,300 LB front suspensions = 10 psi to 50 psi
5,000 LB front suspensions = 40 psi to 50 psi
5,300 LB front suspensions = 50 psi to 80 psi
5,500 LB front suspensions = 60 psi to 100 psi

For the proper adjustment it says to inflate the air bags to the maximum pressure for your vehicle, load the motor home, park on a level surface and then reduce the air pressure as needed to level the motor home but don’t reduce it below the minimum.

I have seen other schemes for adjusting the pressure per ride quality, but the 1995 Chevrolet Forward Control Chassis owner’s manual said to do it as shown above.

I don't know if it's accurate or not but other posts have said the pressure in the bags affects the alignment and you should have it checked when you get the pressure set. The manual did not mention that however.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

You, my fellow IRV2 members are great. I have now found that I can get a complete from air bag kit delivered to my local (M & D Auto Parts) store for about $150.00 and it looks like I can do the installation myself in the driveway. Too cool and thank you very much.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is some info I saved and didn't need because I traded my P30 in on my present motor home.

This SITE has remove and replace instructions with pictures.

Many people use a utility knife to cut the old bags into pieces so they can be pulled out with vice grips.

Some people have said that using cable ties to hold the bag rolled up and clipping them after the bag was in place was helpful. Some also used dish soap to lubricate them while inserting.
Some have said that jacking the front up gave them more room between the spring coils.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Here is some info I saved and didn't need because I traded my P30 in on my present motor home.

This SITE has remove and replace instructions with pictures.

Many people use a utility knife to cut the old bags into pieces so they can be pulled out with vice grips.

Some people have said that using cable ties to hold the bag rolled up and clipping them after the bag was in place was helpful. Some also used dish soap to lubricate them while inserting.
Some have said that jacking the front up gave them more room between the spring coils.
Good information even if the aarticle linked has been 404'd. With the information I've received on and off list I will certainly be able to accomplish the work by myself.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Good information even if the aarticle linked has been 404'd. With the information I've received on and off list I will certainly be able to accomplish the work by myself.
The most important part is the initial inflation.
Raise the front of the coach so that the suspension is fully extended.
Inflate the bags to 100 psi to insure they are fully expanded.
Lower the coach and adjust the pressure to the desired level.
The latest information is that 50 psi is the minimum.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Thank you.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sorry about the bad link. I haven't checked it in quite a while. Apparently I didn't keep a copy of the PDF file. Maybe someone else did.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I also have a 94 29rq that needs air bags. I found these for about $110. I will give them a try, and report back. 1993-1996 Chevy / GMC GP-30 HD Motorhome Class A - Firestone Coil-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs (NO-DRILL) [FRONT] - 4100 | $102.64
wi traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi traveller View Post
I also have a 94 29rq that needs air bags. I found these for about $110. I will give them a try, and report back. 1993-1996 Chevy / GMC GP-30 HD Motorhome Class A - Firestone Coil-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs (NO-DRILL) [FRONT] - 4100 | $102.64
We must be doing something right, that's the same kit I bought. The $30.00 difference is the Canadian dollar and taxes.

Tags
chassis, winnebago