Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #81
Winnebago Owner

This in a informative post to list your rust problems, no winnebago cheerleader is needed you are just trying to kill this post. how about using some other post to due your cheerleading it has nothing to due with this post
Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #82

Yes we own a Winnebago. Yes This is a Winnabago Site . NO I am not a Winnebago Cheerleader. ( as some ??? )accused me of being. YES there Have been some known rust problems.. and I posted the facts as I see them.. Yes some folks can't handle the truth;;;
Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #83
Winnebago Camper

After 8 months of ownership, i decided to pull the windshield trim pieces and check for rust. No rust anywhere with the exception of the four "L" brackets at the bottom. The rust there was substantial. I tapped the brackets down a little to give room to get rust neutralizer (I use Loctite) on top of the brackets. There are small rubber pads between the brackets and the glass that I removed to allow treatment of the rust. Winnebago servics rep agreed with this but recommended replacing the pads when finished. I obtained replacements but cannot get them back in the space and I'm not interested in putting extra force on the glass.
Question - am I correct that these brackets serve no purpose, structural or otherwise, after the initial installation of the glass? Would it be advisable to bend them down a little more to prevent any future pressure on the glass in case the rust returns?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #84
Winnebago Master

All coaches have rust. Windshields in Winnies do have a history of rusting. If you have a leak, you know where to look based on this thread. Keep up with maintenance and you will do well.

Check out MY thread on fixing rust on my 5 year old Journey. Rust wasn't bad, but needed attention. Stay ahead of the rust, and your coach should last a very long time.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wint...ch-113680.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #85
Winnebago Camper

I had some water running down the insides of both front windshields on my 2000 Adventurer. I pulled the top and bottom rubber seal off and found my windshields are only held in there by luck. The top and bottom metal frames are almost totally rusted out.

I put my finger through the top section with no pressure at all and the bottom frame fell into crumbs inside the front engine compartment. I will have to have the front cap taken off and the frame completely rebuilt and buy new glasses also. I can't see how the windshields are staying in place, unless it is by the sides.

The Winnebago apologist who must own stock in the company can come and tell me what an idiot I was to buy the coach, but unless he wants to pick up my losses, I don't care to hear from him anymore. He may want to defend his brilliance, but if he doesn't have the problem, he has nothing to add to the thread except cheerleading. I will not own another Winnebago product, no matter what the price since I am losing a small fortune owning this one. It will cost thousands of dollars to fix something that was easily foreseen. If someone had posted a thread like this a few years ago, I would own another brand, even though I really like everything else about the coach.

Thank you for posting about this problem and thank you Mods for allowing it to continue. Without this thread I would not have known to look for rust or that it was as potentially dangerous as it is. I would probably have put sealer around the glass and not have known the danger until it was too late. Almost nothing was keeping the glass from falling onto the highway as I drove.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #86
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
I had some water running down the insides of both front windshields on my 2000 Adventurer. I pulled the top and bottom rubber seal off and found my windshields are only held in there by luck. The top and bottom metal frames are almost totally rusted out.

I put my finger through the top section with no pressure at all and the bottom frame fell into crumbs inside the front engine compartment. I will have to have the front cap taken off and the frame completely rebuilt and buy new glasses also. I can't see how the windshields are staying in place, unless it is by the sides.

The Winnebago apologist who must own stock in the company can come and tell me what an idiot I was to buy the coach, but unless he wants to pick up my losses, I don't care to hear from him anymore. He may want to defend his brilliance, but if he doesn't have the problem, he has nothing to add to the thread except cheerleading. I will not own another Winnebago product, no matter what the price since I am losing a small fortune owning this one. It will cost thousands of dollars to fix something that was easily foreseen. If someone had posted a thread like this a few years ago, I would own another brand, even though I really like everything else about the coach.

Thank you for posting about this problem and thank you Mods for allowing it to continue. Without this thread I would not have known to look for rust or that it was as potentially dangerous as it is. I would probably have put sealer around the glass and not have known the danger until it was too late. Almost nothing was keeping the glass from falling onto the highway as I drove.
Although Horseshoe's coach is a MY 2000, it appears that Winnebago has used the same manufacturing process for windshield installation all the way up to current day. In other words, if left unattended, his situation could very easily be ours within the next couple of years. The real message of his post is the the rust can and will eventually eat away the entire windshield frame, which WILL cause the windshields to fall out. Check your frames at first opportunity and do what needs to be done.

Horseshoe: Please post photos of your damage, plus the final cost of the repair here so we all know what to expect if we do not remedy the problem early. Thank you for letting us know how serious a problem this can become if left unchecked.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #87
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
After 8 months of ownership, i decided to pull the windshield trim pieces and check for rust. No rust anywhere with the exception of the four "L" brackets at the bottom. The rust there was substantial. I tapped the brackets down a little to give room to get rust neutralizer (I use Loctite) on top of the brackets. There are small rubber pads between the brackets and the glass that I removed to allow treatment of the rust. Winnebago servics rep agreed with this but recommended replacing the pads when finished. I obtained replacements but cannot get them back in the space and I'm not interested in putting extra force on the glass.
Question - am I correct that these brackets serve no purpose, structural or otherwise, after the initial installation of the glass? Would it be advisable to bend them down a little more to prevent any future pressure on the glass in case the rust returns?
Bill - I believe those brackets are there to locate and hold up the glass while the adhesive cures. You may not need them once the windshield glue dries, but you will need them if the windshield(s) ever need replacing. The glass is VERY heavy and will not stay in place on its own while the glue is drying. Your approach of removing the pads and treating the brackets is the best suggestion I have seen for those so far. POR15 suggests knocking down the heavy rust before applying their product, so be sure to get inside the gaps with a motorized wire wheel. I recommend taping up the glass edges really thoroughly to protect it while you work.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #88
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I have read most of the posts in this thread;;; One thing I am sure of ALL coaches have rust;; Just as all coachs use fuel; We have had,and have rust on our coach. It's a way of life. If the coachs chassic were Painted/galvenized/plated. when would it be done before assembly or after. (welds,, holes) would have to be done too. In total reality, when the coach is rooled off the assembly line and the fab. hours are totaled then they add the markup; Now someone wants to add still more hours. Say 12 hours to Hand paint all the little welds and brackets the bends in the windshield frame, The list goes on and on , as i mention one; And posters will have 10 more, I say that (a little rust) is the beuttie of the beast.. Come on guys WE may not like it. But it does no good what so ever going on and on about a thing that is a way of fife. AS JUDGE JUDY would say;; NO one made you buy it.... Life is good
It would have taken Winnebago five minutes to coat the raw steel L brackets after they were tacked to the frame and no minutes to not scribe through the EDP coating on the top of the frame. FIVE MINUTES. Look at all of the resulting damage that five minutes of cost saving has caused. It is inexcusable.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #89

I at one time had 49 employees;;Working for me. And things were/are dome in manufacturing to show a profit; And every one will try to do the best they can with the alloted time to make a product; Most products Have a life expectancey, What is it for cars 7/11 years Driving your house down the road (motorhome) 6/10.years Tires 3/7 years; I do NOT condone sloppy work. If my water heater starts leaking after 10 years I for one will NOT Call the Maker bad names Because I THOUGHT it should last For 20 years;; My friend wanted to live to be 100 years old He died at 39 years old.. I do not wish to attack anyone. And would feel much If it were not done to me.. There is a place for that and it is NOT on this forum. Thanks , Life is good , And NOT forever,,
Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #90
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I at one time had 49 employees;;Working for me. And things were/are dome in manufacturing to show a profit; And every one will try to do the best they can with the alloted time to make a product; Most products Have a life expectancey, What is it for cars 7/11 years Driving your house down the road (motorhome) 6/10.years Tires 3/7 years; I do NOT condone sloppy work. If my water heater starts leaking after 10 years I for one will NOT Call the Maker bad names Because I THOUGHT it should last For 20 years;; My friend wanted to live to be 100 years old He died at 39 years old.. I do not wish to attack anyone. And would feel much If it were not done to me.. There is a place for that and it is NOT on this forum. Thanks , Life is good , And NOT forever,,
None of your examples, comparisons or excuses will take away the pain, frustration and expense that all of these owners will have to endure just because Winnebago wanted to save five bucks. End of story.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #91
Winnie-Wise

Let this thread die, the OP has posted the majority here anyway.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #92
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Let this thread die, the OP has posted the majority here anyway.
Why? And why does it matter to you?

I am going to post pictures of the bottom of the windshield as soon as I can get home in a week or so. I might be able to take pictures of the top from the inside, but I have put Eternabond tape over the holes in an attempt to slow the water intake until the weather warms up. I also filled the gap between the cap and the top of the windshield with self leveling filler to slow the water flow during the winter to keep my dashboard from rotting. It also has caused delamination on both sides under the windshield and to the sides.

Again why do you not want these pictures posted? Please tell me what your interest is?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #93
Winnebago Owner

This is a valuable post I have learned to PM my winshield before it fell out.
winnebago cheerleaders stay out of this, you contribute nothing to this information!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #94

Let this post go away; It has earatated many people. . as for me I think when a coach gets 4/5 years old it should have some rust on it..Or I can buy a coach that has a wooden frame. VIOLA no rust.. Rest in peace,, good by;
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #95
Winnebago Camper

Here are some pictures. I didn't take pictures of the top because I have filled the complete groove between the cap and windshield with sealer to try to stop the water pouring onto my dashboard.

This is the driver's side across to the middle of the passenger's side. The bottom steel is completely gone except a couple of tiny pieces.

I did take some pictures of the rust that fell onto the dashboard when I took the trim pieces off the inside top.

I don't know what kept the windshields in when we hit some big bumps when coming home from Ohio. That is when I first noticed the leaking. I don't want anyone to lose one of them while driving. It could be disastrous to anyone behind you. This is a very dangerous situation that Winnebago should step up and correct before a serious accident happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0559.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	18546   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0560.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	18547  

Name:	100_0561.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	18548   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0562.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	18549  

Name:	100_0563 smaller.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	18550   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0564.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	18551  

Name:	100_0565.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	18552   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0566 smaller.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	18553  

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #96

Now maybe it can RIP;;; Amen
Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #97
Winnebago Watcher

WOW, it looks like the only thing holding in your windshield is rust. I am surprised it did not fall out on the highway. If this has been going on since 2000 model year then their is a lot of Winnies out there with rusted windshields. Sonething else to put on the checklist if shopping for a used Winnie.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #98

Who cares It's 13 years old. It has lived its life; Its over ;;;;;;;;; The owner won't let it die ... My goodness; In my shop when I had customers That were a constant Problem. I gave them ther money back and said go and please DON"T come back;; Maybe someone will get the message.. ??????
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #99
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Who cares It's 13 years old. It has lived its life; Its over ;;;;;;;;; The owner won't let it die ... My goodness; In my shop when I had customers That were a constant Problem. I gave them ther money back and said go and please DON"T come back;; Maybe someone will get the message.. ??????
So 13 years is the end of this motorhome's life span? For the rust problem to get his bad took several years so should we say 10,9, 8 or even a 5 year life span when rust first starts appearing. I am sure the owner expected a lot more life. Their are still a lot of 90's vintage motorhomes on the road today. Perhaps Winnie should do the same thing and give everyone with rusted windshields their money back.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #100

PLease don't take things out of context;; . Of all the coach manufactures Winnebago Is the only one that uses the in cab steel cage. ( excluding the highline Provost ETC. ). If you feel the rust Dead horse, needs to beat them by all means buy a model that uses wood for there Cab enclosure;;; Look no rust ; It just rotted and the windshild fell out;; Now I can blame the darn wood.. LET IT REST::::
Closed Thread

Tags
rust, winnebago