Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #161
Winnie-Wise

Sometimes methinks the forums ought to come with an automatic spell checker or a post explainer of some type.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #162
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I want to buy a Motorhome, It would be one that all you __-_-- design. Probley no windows . because they steam up and rust out;; No generator. It corrodes. And a lot more of nothing as things go wrong;; I know some/all of you dissagree; But we all make mistakes; . And I can't take anymore. After all . I bought and payed for It;;. And look what I got.. ( what I payed for )) So I need to suck it in and except it, For it is what I inspected ,did my home work, and BOUGHT
No one complained of windows rusting, bachler, is that a NEW issue?

You 'payed' for it, yes you PAID a lot of money for a recreational vehicle. Enough people have posted here to show that this is a REAL design problem that a company like Winnebago should have dealt with years ago. This is not a cosmetic problem, the windshield leaks or comes loose because of the rusted framework, costing the owners thousands of dollars to correct. One model year would be a mistake, but this thread shows it covers many models and years, that's poor engineering and problem solving. I expect (and consumers should demand) better from a company like Winnebago. ;;;;;

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 06-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #163
Winnie-Wise

The nasty problem is that you CAN'T tell you have the rust issue by casual inspection, be it PDI or whatever. Only once the trim and windshield is removed and the butyl or whatever is scraped away can you see the metal, and then if it's too rusted (as in my case, the more they scraped the deeper it went) you are stuck... you have a 4x6 foot hole in your front so you can't drive, you have to fix it (the metal framework) before a new windshield can be installed, and of course that's "maintenance and wear-and-tear" as far as the insurance company is concerned, not their issue. So you get out your wallet...

Ok, not trying to start another flame war, but this is NOT the lack of an owner doing a proper PDI on a used unit nor lack of ongoing maintenance.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #164
Winnebago Camper

I have been following this thread and I don't understand why, if you don't have problems that you feel the need to ridicule or even comment. All these people are wanting is a solution to a problem. For some of us that read more than we post, it is extremely annoying and really serves no purpose other than to rile people up. As my mother always said "If you don't have something nice to say, BE QUIET! Please we all would appreciate it, if you would listen to my mother.
Quote:
I want to buy a Motorhome, It would be one that all you __-_-- design. Probley no windows . because they steam up and rust out;; No generator. It corrodes. And a lot more of nothing as things go wrong;; I know some/all of you dissagree; But we all make mistakes; . And I can't take anymore. After all . I bought and payed for It;;. And look what I got.. ( what I payed for )) So I need to suck it in and except it, For it is what I inspected ,did my home work, and BOUGHT
Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #165
Winnebago Owner

I stated this before, but I have to revisit the issue at hand.

As a Winnebago owner, this thread has been of some value to me, since I am learning about a potential problem, and I can appreciate how other owners are trying to deal with it. I am, after all, learning about my rig.

But, for some unexplained reason, there are posts from people who do not share this problem, and obviously do not care to assist in any fact-finding or solutions.... These posts add nothing, and have become an irritation and a diversion.

There are posters who should refrain from posting too late in the day, say past their third martini, when their ability to reason and construct sentences has fallen off a cliff..... You know who you are, right?

Any psychologist will tell you that both positive AND negative reinforcement can provoke more of the same behavior. But if you want to extinguish a behavior you simply ignore it. Which is what I will do in the future of this thread. To the rest of you, I hope you get this problem resolved to your satisfaction. Just my 2 cents concerning unwanted posts. Ignore them.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #166

OH well It is much nicer for poeple to complain about spelling ,then to rat and rave about there own mistake about not doing there homework;; As stated in prior posts ,this is not a new problem... Then comes the statement That poster should be banned.. Come on man up;
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #167
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
...... As stated in prior posts ,this is not a new problem... Then comes the statement That poster should be banned.. Come on man up;
??? where did you read that ???
Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #168
Winnebago Camper

Ok I've heard of Ebonics but what is this?

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #169

I have had rust on 2 of our motorhomes.. SO what. Do you really want to here me go on Bitching about?? the fact I was to lazy to do my resurch and find any lurking problems with my coach... NO matter what is written someone is allways a snake in the grass just waiting to strike at someone or something..
Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #170
Winnebago Owner

RVonics?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #171
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman
RVonics?
Good one!!! lMAO

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #172
Winnebago Owner

It's about that time that it needs to be pointed out that replies need to stay somewhat on topic, and that ones views presented the first, second, even the third time need not be repeated any further.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #173
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't agree more, JohnRR
Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #174
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It's about that time that it needs to be pointed out that replies need to stay somewhat on topic, and that ones views presented the first, second, even the third time need not be repeated any further.
Hopefully, the power of the office "Community Administrator" will get the message across.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #175
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Hopefully, the power of the office "Community Administrator" will get the message across.
Good point 5 people on this thread have posted a total of 91 times or 52% of the total posts.

One has posted 47 times and another 24 times.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #176
Winnebago Owner

IMO, it doesn't matter if someone posts 100 times in the same thread, if they are furthering the conversation by sharing information or adding something even remotely helpful, or at least being somewhat courteous. And I think this is the real intent of the moderator's comment (although if I'm wrong, I can take some heat.) Critical and inane posts do not serve the community very well, especially when the same post keeps rearing its disturbing head.... Just my opinions....
Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #177
Winnebago Camper

Here's my update on ac unit and jacks. Winnebagos one year warranty is up; but luckily the ac unit (which had to be completely replaced) and jack have a two year warranty. Could Have been about a $1,500 repair or more.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #178
Winnie-Wise

OK i just had my windshields replaced and yes there was rust. The drivers side window had a crack in it. Most likely caused when the front TV was removed and replaced with a flat screen. There had been signs of leaks in the front due to the water found in the drivers side window seal. When the windshied was removed it was obvious that the wind shield had been leaking for some time due to the rust on the frame. the windshield was not attached to the metal frame due to the rust. The windshield repair people appled some stuff to attack the rust and stop it from speading and also allow the windshield sealant to adhere properly. What's really funny is that this was the orginal winshield in this MH. The date stamp on the windshield was 2002. If you thnk you have a porplem with leaking or rust then get your windshield replaced. It's amazing how those rocks hit those things and cause cracks. Best $50 I ever spent.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #179
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
OK i just had my windshields replaced and yes there was rust. The drivers side window had a crack in it. Most likely caused when the front TV was removed and replaced with a flat screen. There had been signs of leaks in the front due to the water found in the drivers side window seal. When the windshied was removed it was obvious that the wind shield had been leaking for some time due to the rust on the frame. the windshield was not attached to the metal frame due to the rust. The windshield repair people appled some stuff to attack the rust and stop it from speading and also allow the windshield sealant to adhere properly. What's really funny is that this was the orginal winshield in this MH. The date stamp on the windshield was 2002. If you thnk you have a porplem with leaking or rust then get your windshield replaced. It's amazing how those rocks hit those things and cause cracks. Best $50 I ever spent.
SuperGewl;

Having a vested interest in this thread, and consequently having done a lot of research on the subject of rusted/leaking windshield frames, I'd like to obtain a little more information from you. You mention 'the best $50 I ever spent'; I'm curious what specific work was done and the total cost of the work done if paid by an insurance company.

I'm not sure how replacing a t.v. might have cracked the windshield; it seems that there is a clear pattern of windshields cracking due to the build-up of rust on the frame, resulting in putting pressure on the glass, to the point of cracking it. You also mention that they the repair facility put on some sort of stuff to attack the rust. My experience is that rust is like a cancer; it continues to spread unless it is completely removed, such as grinding, sanding and even cutting/replacing the metal that has rusted through, and then primering/painting the metal to prevent new rust.

I don't mean to come across as pessimistic, but with all that I have read on this subject, (and I assure you it's been far more than just this thread and the Winnebago forums) it seems that the repair is more of a band-aid. For example, along with not actually removing the rust, what steps were taken to actually prevent any further water getting into the windshield frame area?

Based on what you've posted, I really believe that the real problem has not been addressed and resolved, and that at some point in the future, you will discover that the windshields are once again leaking, with additional frame damage as a result.

As an aside to members following this thread, I would like to point out that a member here previously challenged the idea of a windshield falling out at speed, and he felt that simply couldn't happen. For the record, I was in fact told by Winnebago customer service on a phone call a few months back that Winnebago views the windshields as being an integral part of the integrity of the cab and as such, was told by the rep that it is quite possible that a windshield frame failure could result in the glass falling out. (Ever lift the windshield glass to see how heavy it is?) I can't tell you whether it's ever happened, (ask Winnebago) I can't tell you what the odds are of it happening, (ask Winnebago): I'm simply stating that the Winnebago rep told me that it could happen and that all rusted windshield frames should be properly repaired to prevent any road-safety issues. -RT
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #180

This is ome of the most responsive;;. However having owned and still do Winnebago, The bottom line ;; it is one of the better coachs for your money;;. Yes we have had rust problems. I post this not to disagree with anyone. Just to state the facts.. PLEASE do not post something like. well I new/talked/herd that had a windshild fall out/rustout. That is just hersay and just consumes valuable space. Post facts that one can stand by.. I have worked a bit on moterhomes. and it is a knowen fact that rust has been knowen to attack varieous metal parts.. Anther thing we found In the shipping /shipsThat If you keep air from the metal It will not rust. Hense a good coat of paint.
Closed Thread

Tags
rust, winnebago