Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

Ok folks, let's all step back, take a breather & stop it with the personal attacks. That serves no purpose, is against Community Rules & is not in keeping with the Mission of this site.

Lori-
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #62

Thanks . I should have said that.. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #63
Winnebago Owner

My goals in starting this thread were simple:

1) To gather a database of Winnebago RV's that had this particular problem.

2) To warn owners of these rigs that rust could be present and to advise on how they could take corrective action.

Please do not add to this thread unless you have information that pertains to the above two items.

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #64
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My 2008 was under Mfg warranty when I discovered, by the water running down the inside of the windshield, the rust problem. It was repaired. The person doing the repair at the dealer's lot was contracted and he stated that as long as he was alive he would guarantee it would not leak. Wish i had got that in writing. So far so good.
The rust on the windshield of the Winnebago product line is not new. According to the dealer that repaired mine it has been known for some time by Winnebago that this was a problem. The action by them is to only address this when the problem appears while it is under warranty.

You can draw your own conclusions to their actions.

As far as trading and purchasing brand xxx is because we would be way upside down on any trade. So for the price, we live with what we have, fix what we can, and make the best out of life. When you have a lemon, squeeze it and make lemon juice.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #65
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
The rust on the windshield of the Winnebago product line is not new. According to the dealer that repaired mine it has been known for some time by Winnebago that this was a problem. The action by them is to only address this when the problem appears while it is under warranty.

You can draw your own conclusions to their actions.

As far as trading and purchasing brand xxx is because we would be way upside down on any trade. So for the price, we live with what we have, fix what we can, and make the best out of life. When you have a lemon, squeeze it and make lemon juice.
When I started this thread I wanted to encourage Winnebago to stand behind its product more and educate owners about this issue. While I'm not sure what Winnebago's plans are, at least more owners are aware of the issue and can be proactive with a rust prevention or repair strategy. I was lucky and found my problem before it was too advanced. If I save one person from having to do a full-on front cab frame replacement, the effort here will have been worthwhile. I really want to see this thread be a source of repair information more than an area to air gripes. We all made choices to buy Winnebago products because we like them. While these kinds of issues will always make me scratch my head about the production techniques they used, the coaches are well designed. I suspect that most of the readers of this forum do not have the means to go out and switch when things don't go as planned.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #66

Lets be carefull about what we say and how we approch the problem.. After all we are on a Winnebago Sponsored site. Let me say it again. RESPECT the sponsors. Off the subject; Nobody forced me to buy the Winnebago that has treated me real good and is one of the best units available out there. PLEASE do not BASH a Brand name because of a little problem.... OR do we want to just keep throwing a little more gas on the fire.. It's a problem we know that . And I am quite sure Winnebago is awhere of it to; AS stated in several prior posts; I think it'e time to end this post . Thanks; On offence; Merry Christmas you all.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #67
Winnie-Wise

Agree end this post, maybe OP screen name means something - he has 25 posts of the 66 here 1 other post about rust, and two other posts for a total of only 28 total posts.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #68
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Lets be carefull about what we say and how we approch the problem.. After all we are on a Winnebago Sponsored site. Let me say it again. RESPECT the sponsors. Off the subject; Nobody forced me to buy the Winnebago that has treated me real good and is one of the best units available out there. PLEASE do not BASH a Brand name because of a little problem.... OR do we want to just keep throwing a little more gas on the fire.. It's a problem we know that . And I am quite sure Winnebago is awhere of it to; AS stated in several prior posts; I think it'e time to end this post . Thanks; On offence; Merry Christmas you all.
You just can't call the possibility of having to replace an entire steel cab frame structure little. Nobody forced any of us to buy a Winnebago product, but I guarantee if I had known about this rust issue I would have passed. Now we are all just left to deal with it because Winnebago will not stand behind its product beyond the 12 month warranty period. The company had a chance to make this situation right with many of the posters on this thread, but they chose not to. Buyers of their products need to search for problems like this early enough to have them corrected by Winnebago. Without forums like this, how will they know what to look for?

By asking to have this thread discontinued you are asking this website to deny knowledge and information to its users.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #69
Winnebago Camper

FWIW If Id done a little better reserch I dont know if I would have bought my 39k. Oh well my wife LOVES it so Im happy. Remember when the wife is happy you are happy. On the other hand, you cant tell me that other brands dont have their quirks and issues. Over all im happy with my rig. I fully understood that purchasing a 39' diesel pusher that there was going to be some maintenence involved. Im a DIY kind of guy but I dont have the luxury of having it parked next to my house as its in a storage yard 10 mins away. I do enjoy bringing it home and pissing off one of my neighbors that starts the clock when I bring it home as it can only be there for 72hrs. Of course they call the cops instead of knocking on my door and saying something.
My coach will be parked in front of my house this weekend getting some TLC. I have a fridge full of coors light and a free weekend to get underneath it and do some tinkering, cleaning and painting.
Life is fantastic!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #70
Winnebago Master

My Horizon is the 3rd Winnebago MH I have owned. Safe-Lite just replaced the DS windshield due to stone damage. I asked them to check for any rust problems. They did not fine anything serious. I have owned 2 previous Winnebago MHs and while I have had to replace windshields in both of them I never found any serious rust problems.. So I don't believe we can truthfully state that all Winnebago Motor homes have Windshield area rust problems. I like my Horizon and I am a happy camper.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
My Horizon is the 3rd Winnebago MH I have owned. Safe-Lite just replaced the DS windshield due to stone damage. I asked them to check for any rust problems. They did not fine anything serious. I have owned 2 previous Winnebago MHs and while I have had to replace windshields in both of them I never found any serious rust problems.. So I don't believe we can truthfully state that all Winnebago Motor homes have Windshield area rust problems. I like my Horizon and I am a happy camper.

Don
Don -

Thank you for checking in here. Did you notice if the L brackets that positioned your windshield at the bottom were plain steel or coated? I'm wondering if there are any differences between the models.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #72
Winnebago Master

I was not trying to bash anyone, I was just stating some facts.

Fact:
The windshields on some model (full windshield) are known to have problems. Those problems are not addressed nor has anything been published to look for the problems, so this thread has done that.

Fact:
It is known that on some models the forward compartments, both sides, have rust issues, as do the services compartment, battery compartment, and electrical compartment.

Those facts have been pointed out in this thread. It is not a "only once" occurrence.

I'm glad that Winnebago reads this thread. And I hope that they take future production into consideration.

I was fortunate that my windshield rust and the forward compartments were covered under warranty and fixed by the dealer. It was after the warranty expired that the other compartments started showing signs of rust.

No bashing. These are items that have been reported several times, with follow-up by members indicated that they also have had the same problems.

If you search, you will find a post somewhere by me of my specific windshield rust problem, and you will find where I believe I stated that the technician that repaired it stated that "This is a known problem with Winnebago's."

Now, that being all said, when I was in Junction, OR, having something else fixed there were other brands, many different brands, from Pop-ups to Prevost in for repair. You could walk around the parking area and see the service tickets in the windows. Many just waiting for parts. So it is not any one particular manufacturer that has problems, but when a problem with a manufacturer surfaces, it is nice to bring it to light so others can check. And with this thread, windshield, for my model/year, one needs to pull the fascia off on the inside to discover the extensive rust. The outside never revealed it, but the water was sure coming down the inside of the windshield.

Just facts. As they happened to me. I'll still keep my MH.

Oops! Guess I'm bristling a little. Sorry! Still facts though.

Found this: Just some more opinions on other items and such:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/curio...-rv-97447.html

p.s. please do a forum search on "windshield rust" without the quotes and see how many models have problems.

Happy trails.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #73
Winnebago Master

I'm an independent repair shop owner. We don't sell RV's, other than an occasional consignment deal. I have seen rust on every brand coach that has ever come through our shop.

We have a HR in our shop right now which has significant surface rust all over it. We've done some repairs for the owner, but they still love it and use it all the time (I think it's about a 2001).

You name the coach, I've seen rust. I've seen rust on windshield frames of several Winnies when we've replaced the windshield. Winnebago chose to glue the windshields to the steel cage (the steel cage being a plus), which in my opinion (I'm not a mechanical engineer) may cause more rust over time. However, once again in my opinion, it provides a stronger seal, with less vibration. Some other coach manufacturers set the windshield in a rubber molding, and I have seen huge gaps between the fiberglass and glass due to this method.

I bought my 07 Winnie new, and it has been pampered and well kept to the hilt, but I do have some surface rust on the exterior metal framework which will be taken care of this winter.

If it's made of metal, has the name 'motorhome' on it, it will rust. Keep after it, and it should last you a lifetime.

Unfortunately, the motorhome industry has not figured out how to rust-proof vehicles like the auto industry has done in recent years. I wish they would for all our sakes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #74
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExitStrategy View Post
Don -

Thank you for checking in here. Did you notice if the L brackets that positioned your windshield at the bottom were plain steel or coated? I'm wondering if there are any differences between the models.

Thanks.
I drooped the coach off at their shop, went shopping, and picked it up when it was done. They just gave me a verbal report. Sorry

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #75

I should have mentioned sooner. our The chieftan . had the windshiels replaced NO rust; The Vectra 3 replacements , No rust;; The Ultimate 4 replacements Little rust;. Sometimes I wonder If the Rust is caused From moisture from within the coach. I know over the years I have been in some peoples coaches where the walls and windows have water running down them From sweatting... some will say stay on the subject.THat is the subject. Maybe an open window while in the coach would help. it does for us;;
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #76
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I should have mentioned sooner. our The chieftan . had the windshiels replaced NO rust; The Vectra 3 replacements , No rust;; The Ultimate 4 replacements Little rust;. Sometimes I wonder If the Rust is caused From moisture from within the coach. I know over the years I have been in some peoples coaches where the walls and windows have water running down them From sweatting... some will say stay on the subject.THat is the subject. Maybe an open window while in the coach would help. it does for us;;
Coaches sweat on the inside if they are not properly vented. This is exterior rust on the outer windshield frame.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #77
Winnebago Camper

I think there are parts of these posts that are a real service to MH and Winnie owners. To put your head in the sand isn't one of them. We need each other to deal with repairs, a lot of us are handy enough to do repairs-if we know what to expect. It is this forum where that detailed info. is available. If you're trying to get something for nothing-you'll only get what you put in. I for one appreciate the comments of those who have totally or partially succeeded in effecting repairs.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #78

I have read most of the posts in this thread;;; One thing I am sure of ALL coaches have rust;; Just as all coachs use fuel; We have had,and have rust on our coach. It's a way of life. If the coachs chassic were Painted/galvenized/plated. when would it be done before assembly or after. (welds,, holes) would have to be done too. In total reality, when the coach is rooled off the assembly line and the fab. hours are totaled then they add the markup; Now someone wants to add still more hours. Say 12 hours to Hand paint all the little welds and brackets the bends in the windshield frame, The list goes on and on , as i mention one; And posters will have 10 more, I say that (a little rust) is the beuttie of the beast.. Come on guys WE may not like it. But it does no good what so ever going on and on about a thing that is a way of fife. AS JUDGE JUDY would say;; NO one made you buy it.... Life is good
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #79
Winnebago Owner

This is an update on my original thread about one year ago. I have a 2007 Itasca, 35', W24 chassis. I have been slowly trying to track down the source of a water leak in the passenger windshield area. I have resealed the entire top of the windshield over the past year and feel confident that I have found the areas that were leaking. The one common denominator is rust. It has been found everywhere around the frame. I expect to find rust on the chassis, but I certainly did not expect the degree of rust on the rectangular steel frame which supports the windshield. My rig is now 5 years old and I have owned it since new. I definitely feel that this type of corrosion is totally preventable. The method used to install the windshield created a corridor for the water to sit along the top of the windshield. Time and vibration is bound to open tiny areas for the trapped water to find it way inside the coach.
Higher costs do not need to be incurred. Better quality control would have eliminated all my leak and rust problems.

I never thought that I would be sanding, painting metal and sealing water leaks within the first four years of ownership of a brand new motorhome. However, this site has been very informative and helpful in coping with these problems.

Still, I am not about to give up the RV or lifestyle anytime soon as the benefits still outweigh the problems.

Retired snowbird.

Knightly
Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #80

I almost forgot when we were shopping for a coach we toured all the factories . WE went to Winnebago because it was the best built;; Now there were/are a lot of builders that use wood in there complete frame works. I went with Winnebago because They use a Steel cage around the drivers Compartment.. Altho we have an ULTIMATE; A bit of rust is a pour thing to spend your time on.. Before the lawsuits come PLEASE end this Thread;; OK; Life is good. Lets not Sling mud like 3 year old children. We are all grown up;;
Closed Thread

Tags
rust, winnebago