Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #201
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini

I realize that the statement 'very few...' is subjective, but I can say that anyone who devotes some Google research time reading posts in numerous RV forums will find that 'very few' might not be a very accurate statement.

Of course, Winnebago has built thousands of motorhomes and many, maybe even the 'majority', do not have this problem, (or the owner just doest know it yet). But this rusted windshield problem shows up over a 10 or 11-year model run and research shows that it's a lot more prevalent then 'very few'.

Maybe I've missed it in this long thread: DriVer, what's your view of this issue, which certainly seems to be a concern to many in more than one thread here. With your knowledge and background regarding Winnebago and Itasca motorhomes, what's your assessment; does Winnebago have a design problem with rusted/leaking windshields?

Thank you. -RT
As a Winnie owner, I would like to see the results of the "research" on the rust problem. Preferably by percentages by year.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #202
Winnebago Camper

This is pretty wild, and this thread has a life of a cat!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #203
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
Check out the Wal*Mart thread then!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #204
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
As a Winnie owner, I would like to see the results of the "research" on the rust problem. Preferably by percentages by year.
Good query, Old Dude, I would like more information beyond the anecdotal stories; not that I disbelieve any of it, I totally accept other owner's horror stories. But I'm an owner waiting for a problem to happen, and any statistical data would be nice to review.... Like, how many are on the highways and how many have leaked? Are there worse years or models, lengths, etc, those kinds of things.

So, if anyone has any info from W, or other sources, about which years and/or models are most affected, or what percentage of rigs are affected, please share. Old Dude and I would like more, if it's available.

Maybe the OP, RTegarini has more on this? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #205
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Old Dude 66;

I've already stated the answer: 'Spend some time doing research on Google.' There is a lot of information out there on this topic, starting with the three or four threads that have been right here on the Winnebago forum.

Unless I knew exactly how many Winnebago motorhomes were built in any given year, and was able to contact each and every owner... well, you get the idea. This information could easily be provided by Winnebago... you could call Winnebago, as I have, and get a lot of 'silence' on the subject. (And I stress the word 'silence', not 'denial'.) If you have the rust issue, then take the time to read all the posts. If you don't have the rust issue, then no statistics I might post will mean anything to you. I wish I had an answer on why some motorhomes have had this problem, sometimes more than once, and others have no problem what so ever. When I first started reading about this problem, I didn't even know I had this issue... I simply started doing a Google because of what happened on my father-in-laws motorhome and of the owners that posted here and other RV forums, well, I assumed that maybe motorhomes in more severe weather states were more susceptible, but it turns out that it's a common problem here in California, and I've never felt that California qualified as a severe weather state.

Irrespective of the 'percentages', it's a well known and common issue with Winnebago models over about a 10-11 model year period. And one thing I can add; anyone who comes across this problem can pretty much expect to write a check for the full repair costs. Not many owners have stated that Winnebago offered any participation in writing any checks. -RT
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #206
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
Just FYI, DriVer has never represented Winnebago or claims he has. He is just an owner like the rest of us and might or might not have an opinion on HIS view of the subject. Certainly his opinion wouldn't trump other long time owners because he posts alot here on irv2.
While that may be the case, DriVer has been here a long time and certainly has more insight then the average Winnebago owner with his affiliation of many in the industry. Since DriVer is very active in these forums, I guess I'm just surprised that he's never posted in this thread. While everyone that is here just posts an 'opinion', I certainly put more value in someone's viewpoint that has more knowledge or exposure on a given subject.

Since he owns a Winnebago, it's possible that he's even incurred the same problem. Or maybe not... maybe he's knows of others first-hand that have had the issue... or maybe not. Can't see any reason not to ask DriVer- I'm sure many here agree that he has been and can be a valuable resource of information, so DriVer, any opinion regarding rusted windshield frames? -RT
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #207
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Old Dude 66;

I've already stated the answer: 'Spend some time doing research on Google.' .......

If you don't have the rust issue, then no statistics I might post will mean anything to you.
RT
Sir, your assumption is incorrect. Actually any statistics you might have been able to post WOULD have been meaningful. Or at least helpful. Or maybe just courteous.... If you had any. That's why we asked....
Old 07-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #208
Winnebago Camper

It could be helpful if we had a poll on this subject. I have had 2 RV's with this problem. First being a 2009 gasser (leaked from day one, bought new) and our current 2006 diesel (no leaks as rust wasn't as invasive as on our 09). Both Itasca motorhomes.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #209
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I can't offer insight into the numbers, but I ran into someone with the exact same coach as me in Alaska. His windshield was also leaking. I got a roll of Gorilla duct tape and put a single strip along the top of the outside rubber seal. Until I can get to a location where I can get a permanent fix, this completely stopped the leak. The other guy came to visit me the next day and borrowed the roll from me. He put a single strip like me and had the same results; no leaks!. One of the benefits of this temporary fix is that no more water is coming in. It doesn't fix the damage, but it prevents additional. I removed the trim pieces from the inside top of the windshield so I can see water coming in right away. So far, so good.

If you've got the problem, this is a good temporary solution.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #210
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
I can't offer insight into the numbers, but I ran into someone with the exact same coach as me in Alaska. His windshield was also leaking. I got a roll of Gorilla duct tape and put a single strip along the top of the outside rubber seal. Until I can get to a location where I can get a permanent fix, this completely stopped the leak. The other guy came to visit me the next day and borrowed the roll from me. He put a single strip like me and had the same results; no leaks!. One of the benefits of this temporary fix is that no more water is coming in. It doesn't fix the damage, but it prevents additional. I removed the trim pieces from the inside top of the windshield so I can see water coming in right away. So far, so good.

If you've got the problem, this is a good temporary solution.
Very interesting . Maybe a good fix, to seal the leak, would be covering the rubber trim piece with black eternabond. Just make it just a bit wider than the rubber strip so that if you have to replace a windshield it would make it easier to remove the Eternabond.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #211
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Sir, your assumption is incorrect. Actually any statistics you might have been able to post WOULD have been meaningful. Or at least helpful. Or maybe just courteous.... If you had any. That's why we asked....
Well, being as courteous as I can, I'm not sure how I, or anyone here, can post 'statistics' without knowing how many units were built in any given year, along with the ability to contact each and every owner to find out if they have rusted windshield frames. Now, Winnebago certainly knows how many units they've built and how many claims/request for reimbursement they've received and/or paid out. And Winnebago is extremely silent on this subject, so bottom line, there is no reasonable way for me to answer the question regarding 'statistics'.

Now, simply doing research on the Internet, anyone here can come up with numerous posts / request for help on how to deal with this issue. Clearly this is a fairly common problem, certainly more common than Winnebago would like affected owners to know about... in most cases the solution has been an expensive repair, borne pretty much entirely by the motorhome owner. And based how easily you can find people reporting the problem, I'm not sure that the 'statistics' part of the question really matters. You either have the problem, or you don't... (or I guess I could say that sometime in the future, you might).

Whether if 5% or 50% of the applicable model-year owners have the problem doesn't make it any easier when writing the check for a known and faulty windshield design. -RT
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #212
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIm64 View Post
It could be helpful if we had a poll on this subject. I have had 2 RV's with this problem. First being a 2009 gasser (leaked from day one, bought new) and our current 2006 diesel (no leaks as rust wasn't as invasive as on our 09). Both Itasca motorhomes.
Great idea, and I'd do one, if I knew how. If someone wants to keep score, I can tell you that my 2005 Itasca leaks due to rusted windshield frames, and my father-in-law had the same problem not that long ago on his 2006 Winnebago. Both are 'California' vehicles.

Add 'two' to the score board. The only problem is that the score is only based on members here that post. Not sure how you get owners outside the forum to post problem/no problem. -RT
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #213
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
Yes, this has been quite the informational journey. What I originally thought was an issue with a couple of model years has turned out to span almost a decade's worth of both diesel and gasoline A class coaches. My one disappointment is that not one person from Winnebago has stepped up with any type of reason why they would take such a glaring shortcut in the manufacture of what are for the most part good coaches. I still have my '05 Meridian and will likely have it for quite some time. The trick is to catch the rust early and remedy it; unfortunately many have not been in time and for those I truly feel bad. Those who are purchasing current Winnebago A class products can save themselves a world of later hurt by pulling the windshield moldings the moment they get home just to make sure the windshield support brackets have been coated to prevent rust. If they haven't, do it now. I'm still not sure if Winnie has rectified the problem. If anyone would be good enough to let us know here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Happy trails.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #214
Winnebago Camper

I also was wondering if this issue is repaired or a new design to correct the rust issue has been done and when it was redesigned. I would hope it has been addressed.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #215
Winnebago Watcher

I had the driver's side windshield replaced last month. Most of the bottom frame holding the window was rusted just like yours. They had to cut out the metal and replace it along with a new winshield, as the old windshield was cracked where the frame clips held the glass. The passenger side had some rust but they were able to clean it. I have a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36 LD and unfortunately I did not take pictures of the rust.

My name is Wade and I may be contacted at [email protected] if you are interested.

I forgot to mention we are full-time on the road, so my coach was not covered like yours.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #216
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know if this issue is still prevalent on the newer one piece windshield?
Is the installation procedure from Winnebago the same as the two piece windshield?
Has anyone done anything to try to prevent this from occurring?
Thanks,
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #217
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda2405 View Post
Does anyone know if this issue is still prevalent on the newer one piece windshield?
Is the installation procedure from Winnebago the same as the two piece windshield?
Has anyone done anything to try to prevent this from occurring?
Thanks,
You might try calling Winnebago Customer service, which I have previously done, regarding these very questions. The answer was quite vague, since Winnebago doesn't want to admit that there is a problem with the old design. I can tell you that the service representative told me that they have not had any rust issues with the one-piece design, though the installation process is 'the same but different'.

My feeling is that is 'code' for 'yes, it's been redesigned', but we're not going to admit that there was a change and a problem with the original design. Of course, since Winnebago has a problem with rusted windshield frames that dates back about 10 or 11 model years, I don't need them to actually admit it: I already know. -RT
Old 07-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #218
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
We have a 2008 35L that had a leak at the upper drivers side corner. The dealers had tried and tried to fix the leak but never could find and stop it. A few weeks ago I got it in my head I was going to find the leak. I took off inside trim and no sign of rust. I removed the rubber strip over the windshield, yes rust. What I found was the caulk/sealant between the top of the windshield glass and the strip the rubber goes into had breaks in the caulk/sealant. This allowed water to get in to the metal. I cleaned the old caulk/sealant out cleaned the rust out and painted it with a rust converter, then painted it and resealed the groove with butyl. And for the leak, I found that, it was behind the wing on the side that partly covers the edge of the windshield, near the top. There were two places about a 1/4" long with no caulk over them. No wonder the dealer never found it, they were not that determined to find it.
Describes my discovery of today exactly.
I inspected my windshield as described in my post #83 of this topic. No rust found other than of the locator tabs.
After 18 inches of rain in the last month I discovered a small puddle of water on the driver's side of the dash. My findings were exactly as you described. The problem with not finding the problem 6 months ago was that I was looking for rust, not chasing a leak.
The gap between the front cap and the top of the glass is only about 1/4 inch wider than the strip that holds the decorative top trim in. In January I looked as well as I could over and under this "u" strip but did not remove it. Today I worked a small wood chisel under the strip and pulled gently to get the VHB tape to release. Luckily the strips (both sides) came off without damage.
RUST under the strip but not real serious. I would best described as surface rust with a couple of small areas of concern. I intend to treat with Loctite
rust converter and paint, as I did the tabs in January.
The OBVIOUS culprit is the gap between the glass and rail that allows water to stand with no designed way to drain away. You cannot see this gap without removing the u strip.
Talked to Winnebago service and they agreed with replacing the "u" strip with urethane adhesive/caulk.
I intend to fill the gap between the glass and rail with the clear urethane sealer I use for the roof to side joint.

edited because I forgot the moral to my story:
There is no possible way for this rust to have been detected by a PDI or an independant inspector as no dealer or individual seller would have allowed anyone to remove the u channel. I consider removing the trim pieces for PDI to be of utmost importance but, it obviously doesn't tell the whole story. Luck is all you have to go on.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #219
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone tried replacing the leaky trim rubber with something that will REALLY seal that gap and prevent the water from getting in and causing damage ???
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #220
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the leaky trim rubber with something that will REALLY seal that gap and prevent the water from getting in and causing damage ???
We have repaired several Winnie coaches with windshield rust. Latest one was last week. Cracked windshields for one reason or another, pull the windshield, and found some rust on the top frame on this 2001 coach. Repaired the rust, and then the glass guy replaced the windshields. I doubt there will be any further rust issues on this coach which we repaired due to the attention paid by the rust abatement process and the replacement and resealing of the windshield.

Been talking to my glass guy (who really knows his stuff) about this issue. His advice is that it's not the rubber moldings around the windshield which are the issue. The moldings are not designed to keep water out.

It's moreso water collecting above the windshield and then finding its way into nooks and crannies due to cracks in the epoxy sealant which seals the glass windshield to the metal frame which causes a spot of rust, which only gets worse over time.

The top and bottom channels which hold the moldings in place on the windshields are held on with double sticky tape. His advice is to remove the moldings, remove the channel, touch up any rust you might find, and reseal the top of the windshield with an expoxy caulk. Replace the u-channel, and replace the top and bottom moldings.

I'm going to pull mine off this winter to check for sure (I do not have any leaks), and I will let everyone know what we find. I will abide by the advice of my glass guy on this issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread

Tags
rust, winnebago