Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #181
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
PLEASE do not post something like. well I new/talked/herd that had a windshild fall out/rustout. That is just hersay and just consumes valuable space. Post facts that one can stand by
Not sure what the deal is with you, or even your motivation, but have to say that I'm disappointed that you are allowed to continue to make posts with no other intent then to try to control this thread and color the facts. With all the research that I have done, and phone calls made to Winnebago, there is no way I'll allow you to dictate to me what information I want to share in this forum. Like it or not, Winnebago stated to me that under extreme windshield rust and rot, the glass could fall out. Winnebago stated to me that left unchecked, the windshield could fail, causing an extreme road safety issue. It's not 'hearsay'; those are facts stated by Winnebago customer support at their toll-free phone number.

Your continued position of 'the facts' are false and misleading, and could potentially lead to owners not taking due diligent action in inspecting and repairing what could be a serious safety issue. You seem to want to make this issue something as simple as 'surface rust' that is common to many motorhomes; post facts that show any other manufacturer that has had anywhere near as many rusted windshield frames as Winnebago over more than 10 model years. Some surface rust on the underbody, or steps, or whatever, is nothing like what is happening with the windshield frames. Hint: Surface rust on the underbody does not lead to failed windshields frames that cause water to pour in when it rains.

There are FACTS THAT I AM POSTING AND WILL STAND BY. As far as wasting 'valuable space', that would be my view of all your posts challenging me and others in this thread, and for the life of me, I don't understand why a moderator hasn't sent you a polite note stating that you've stated your position far too many times, and since it's not contributing to the thread in a positive manner, you should no longer post in this thread.

While I am trying to be polite and maintain some medium of decorum, you are making it quite difficult with the false and inaccurate you continue to repeat; for the sake of owners that have this issue and are looking for resolution, please, PLEASE move on to other threads. -RT
Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #182
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Not sure what the deal is with you, or even your motivation, but have to say that I'm disappointed that you are allowed to continue to make posts with no other intent then to try to control this thread and color the facts. With all the research that I have done, and phone calls made to Winnebago, there is no way I'll allow you to dictate to me what information I want to share in this forum. Like it or not, Winnebago stated to me that under extreme windshield rust and rot, the glass could fall out. Winnebago stated to me that left unchecked, the windshield could fail, causing an extreme road safety issue. It's not 'hearsay'; those are facts stated by Winnebago customer support at their toll-free phone number.

Your continued position of 'the facts' are false and misleading, and could potentially lead to owners not taking due diligent action in inspecting and repairing what could be a serious safety issue. You seem to want to make this issue something as simple as 'surface rust' that is common to many motorhomes; post facts that show any other manufacturer that has had anywhere near as many rusted windshield frames as Winnebago over more than 10 model years. Some surface rust on the underbody, or steps, or whatever, is nothing like what is happening with the windshield frames. Hint: Surface rust on the underbody does not lead to failed windshields frames that cause water to pour in when it rains.

There are FACTS THAT I AM POSTING AND WILL STAND BY. As far as wasting 'valuable space', that would be my view of all your posts challenging me and others in this thread, and for the life of me, I don't understand why a moderator hasn't sent you a polite note stating that you've stated your position far too many times, and since it's not contributing to the thread in a positive manner, you should no longer post in this thread.

While I am trying to be polite and maintain some medium of decorum, you are making it quite difficult with the false and inaccurate you continue to repeat; for the sake of owners that have this issue and are looking for resolution, please, PLEASE move on to other threads. -RT
I don't get it either. It is my opinion that, as an affected Winnebago owner and a 'still-interested' participant in this thread, I agree with everything RT has just said. Move on Bachlor, and let us discuss our problem....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #183
Winnebago Owner

Just an observation which I will share with you all rust is the cancer of sheet metal and as has been mentioned already the only effective way to cure it is to cut out the rusted metal. With cancer one effective way is to surgically remove it and since I'm no surgeon and I'm unfamiliar with using a scalpel I'm sure I can use a cleaver to get the job done.

If the cancer continues to spread I will deal with it in the only way I have available to me.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #184
Winnie-Wise

So have my Vectra back, the windshield frame rebulit and new windshield installed. Now hoping that the new steel with heavy priming will work better than the original. Wallet lighter but perhaps this will be behind me.

FYI, an interesting forum feature exists that I've tried and use when necessary...

User CP => (left side column) Settings and Options => Edit Ignore List

Very useful feature. Great blood pressure controller.

Just saying...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #185
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb

FYI, an interesting forum feature exists that I've tried and use when necessary...

User CP => (left side column) Settings and Options => Edit Ignore List

Very useful feature. Great blood pressure controller.

Just saying...

Ahhh,soooooo... Who knew... Thanks, it could make life simpler, eh?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #186
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If the cancer continues to spread I will deal with it in the only way I have available to me.
I sure hope that is the "community administrator's" scalpal talking. l, for one, appreciate you keeping an eye on this "cancer". Ed
Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #187
Winnebago Camper

I'm going to bump this thread so it stays at the top and people are informed. I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. Like I said my motorhome is a 2010, and I haven't checked for rust under the windshield; but I can bet you money with all of the other problems with rust I have had I am sure it is there too. Keep posting, and maybe with other owners experiencing this same problem you all will have a positive outcome with Winnebago in the sense they will man up.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #188
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletruck View Post
I'm going to bump this thread so it stays at the top and people are informed. I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. Like I said my motorhome is a 2010, and I haven't checked for rust under the windshield; but I can bet you money with all of the other problems with rust I have had I am sure it is there too. Keep posting, and maybe with other owners experiencing this same problem you all will have a positive outcome with Winnebago in the sense they will man up.
Don't have a winnie yet, but been considering a Tour. You mentioned "...all the other problems with rust I have had...". What were they? and in a gas or diesel? Must say, this thread would certainly discourage me from a used one, and has me wondering about new!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #189
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Don't have a winnie yet, but been considering a Tour. You mentioned "...all the other problems with rust I have had...". What were they? and in a gas or diesel? Must say, this thread would certainly discourage me from a used one, and has me wondering about new!

Kathryn
Remember that there ar 50,000 on this web site and very few with this problem.
I have a 2004 with 83,000 miles and it has been trouble free for all this time. Winnebago / Itasca is one of the best built, most popular Motorhomes on the road today. They will be around long after many of the other brands are long gone. Do your homework and don't be swayed by a very small number of people that have had a problem with one brand or the other. Look up any brand and look for problems, they all have had one problem or another at sometime.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #190
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Kathryn
Don't be discouraged by the opinions discussed in this thread. Winnebago is a good company and has produced thousands of trouble free motorhomes. Ours is going on 12 years old with almost 100,000 miles on the odometer and we haven't experienced these types of problems. I'm sure the problems do exist on some motorhomes. If you were unlucky enough to be one of those affected I'm sure you wouldn't be very happy. On the other hand it seems far more isolated than some suggest.

If you look closely over half the posts on this thread have been posted by 5 people. The OP has over a quarter of them, mostly dealing in a long running dispute with the second most prolific poster. Keep in mind the old adage: If someone has a good experience they'll tell 3 people, If they have a bad experience they'll tell 10 people.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #191
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
. Keep in mind the old adage: If someone has a good experience they'll tell 3 people, If they have a bad experience they'll tell 10 people.
Unless your on the internet
See My RV Upgrades
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #192
Winnebago Owner

Chuck and Hikerdogs make some great points. Yes "W" has a few issues, but if you have more units out there than everyone else, and you've pioneered most of the industry, you might show a few problems, right? I'm enjoying my second Itasca, and although it has 'special needs' it is a remarkable machine.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #193
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I don't have a rust problem, but I may have some insight into the cause. My windshield leaked a couple of years ago, when the coach was a little more than a year old. It was supposedly fixed. I just went over the Top of World Highway in Alaska. To say the coach got shaken is an understatement. When in Valdez, it rained while we were there.

The windshield now leaks all across the top. I took the inside trim pieces off and it looks like the dealer caulked the inside of the windshield. While that may stop the leak on the inside, it doesn't stop the water from coming in. I went to the hardware store and picked up a roll of Gorilla duct tape and put a single row across the top of the runner seal on the outside of the windshield. It rained out last night and it didn't leak.

It doesn't look great, but it will work until I get back. Rust isn't the issue. It's the result of leakage. Stop the leakage and the rust becomes irrelevant.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #194
Winnebago Camper

Not in my case. The bottom and the top of the windshield frame rusted through. It leaks through the rust holes, not from around the windshield itself. It never leaked until the rust ate completely through the frame.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #195
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn

Kathryn
Hi Kathryn,

Every motorhome is going to have their own series of problems. My coachman had small problems such as fuses and switches going out. Unfortunately I bought my Winnebago thinking that the name said it all. Not the case, while I understand every company has their own set of problems my Winnebago has been a problem from start. I'm not saying every Winnebago product has these problems, I was just unfortunate and got a dud. My advice to you when purchasing ANY motorhome would be to look underneath and make sure their aren't vital components out in the elements just waiting to corrode. My Winnebago is a gasser therefore the Drivetrain is in the way and they have to put these components underneath the coach with no protection. My generator has gone out, my leveling jack motor corroded and broke, my side cameras have broke, my back AC unit broke, along with a small list of other things.

Getting back to the point you should definitely look under ANY motorhome you purchase and see what's there, what's going to cause you problems. Unlike the windshield rust problem that you can't see until you have to replace it, there are all sorts of other things on motorhomes that you can see and keep an eye out for. If they would've told me and my manual to keep an eye on these things I probably would have. If you're like me and can't physically get underneath your motorhome and check for yourself to see and protect these components , I would have someone do it for you. You may be saving yourself some time, money, and headache in the future.

Good luck, and safe travels.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #196

Quote:

Kathryn
Have no fear .. Buy your Tour. Winnebago Is a good product; Some have a small problem and let everyone think they do not build a quality coach.... They DO>> Winnebago Is the Best..
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #197
Winnebago Master

I really like my Winnie however two coaches in a row had the dreaded windshield leak that I have had to deal with since I purchased them a 1995 Vectra 33RQ and a 2001 Aventurer 35U.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #198
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Remember that there ar 50,000 on this web site and very few with this problem.
I realize that the statement 'very few...' is subjective, but I can say that anyone who devotes some Google research time reading posts in numerous RV forums will find that 'very few' might not be a very accurate statement.

Of course, Winnebago has built thousands of motorhomes and many, maybe even the 'majority', do not have this problem, (or the owner just doest know it yet). But this rusted windshield problem shows up over a 10 or 11-year model run and research shows that it's a lot more prevalent then 'very few'.

Maybe I've missed it in this long thread: DriVer, what's your view of this issue, which certainly seems to be a concern to many in more than one thread here. With your knowledge and background regarding Winnebago and Itasca motorhomes, what's your assessment; does Winnebago have a design problem with rusted/leaking windshields?

Thank you. -RT
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #199
Winnebago Camper

I have a 1998 Luxor that I just had both windshields replaced. I was expecting the worst, but actually there was only a little surface rust. I have a question, was there not a government mandated rust perforation warranty at one time? Could it not apply?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini

I realize that the statement 'very few...' is subjective, but I can say that anyone who devotes some Google research time reading posts in numerous RV forums will find that 'very few' might not be a very accurate statement.

Of course, Winnebago has built thousands of motorhomes and many, maybe even the 'majority', do not have this problem, (or the owner just doest know it yet). But this rusted windshield problem shows up over a 10 or 11-year model run and research shows that it's a lot more prevalent then 'very few'.

Maybe I've missed it in this long thread: DriVer, what's your view of this issue, which certainly seems to be a concern to many in more than one thread here. With your knowledge and background regarding Winnebago and Itasca motorhomes, what's your assessment; does Winnebago have a design problem with rusted/leaking windshields?

Thank you. -RT
Just FYI, DriVer has never represented Winnebago or claims he has. He is just an owner like the rest of us and might or might not have an opinion on HIS view of the subject. Certainly his opinion wouldn't trump other long time owners because he posts alot here on irv2. :-).

Oh, and on my last two Winnebagos, I've never had a windshield problem or a rust problem. Maybe because I wash my chassis fervently after driving in salty roads, and I spray Salt Terminator before and after salty trips.
Closed Thread

Tags
rust, winnebago