Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago - A good report

Well, if anyone visited the Winnebago Service Center today, they would have seen a black and tan Husky with a pet named Wayne M. But that's not the good part.

We were traversing the Great Lakes, and DW decided to do the Mall of America. So, we spent a few days there, and being so close to Forest City I decided to see if I could get some items taken care of. What I didn't know, shame on me, is that the WIT GNR was going to be next week, and this week is Pre-rally. I found out about the rally when I called and because of my problem got to talk to Bernie.

As I reported in another thread, we were delayed by one day with an engine check engine light came on - but that's in the other thread. I decided to take my chances, and arrived Thursday afternoon at Winnebago. I filled in the paper work for a stand-by, and I was expecting to be told "next week," or even "next month," but no, The nice lady named Rebecca said, "9:30 tomorrow morning." We were there on time Friday, and the technician was Don. The only unfortunate part was that I was only able to list 7 items, but hey, that's okay.

Anyhow, Winnebago showed us that they are a first class Service Center. All of the counter help were pleasant to work with, and speak to. They were all very professional and courteous. Although I'm a few pennies short now, I'm glad I stopped by and had some things taken care of.

A special thanks to the technician, Don, who took the time to explain what the found and how they fixed it, and especially on how I can maintain some of it.

Thanks Winnebago.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Know exactly what you mean. Those folks are fantastic! It always amazes me that they are able to do what they do. Kinda spoils you from everyone else by comparison. Wish we could have met the Husky and maybe you too.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've also forgotten about the GNR and the fact that they don't accept appointments during the entire month of July.... TWICE. But they've been just great to work with. The one draw back of not having an appointment is that they won't honor extended warranties without one. Oh well. Next time I'll plan better.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

This is why i own a winnebago !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
This is why i own a winnebago !!!
Seriously though, I'm sure other mfgrs make some fine coaches too but it seems that the "tales of woe" are far more common with them when it comes to service and support. How often to we read here "I can't find a wiring diagram for my 2005 coach"... or "I called the factory but it's under new ownership and they won't talk to me about the problems on my older rig"? We sure don't see much of that on the Winnie forum. Others come and others go but the flying "W" just keeps doing what they do well and getting a lot of loyal customers because of it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Seriously though, I'm sure other mfgrs make some fine coaches too but it seems that the "tales of woe" are far more common with them when it comes to service and support. How often to we read here "I can't find a wiring diagram for my 2005 coach"... or "I called the factory but it's under new ownership and they won't talk to me about the problems on my older rig"? We sure don't see much of that on the Winnie forum. Others come and others go but the flying "W" just keeps doing what they do well and getting a lot of loyal customers because of it.

Rick
Rick, aren't you located in the home of Pickle Ball?

Anytime I have called Winny with a tech question they are right there, pleasent and helpful. I do all of my own work on the Motorhome so having backup when I have a question is essential. I could not be happier with a product than I am with Winnebago. If I sound like a happy customer, your right. 78,000 happy, troublfree miles.
Whenever I am thinking of purchasing a big ticket product, I always call their customer service and ask a question. If I get a poor response the first time I will try it a second time. If the second time the response is poor, forget that product.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Rick, aren't you located in the home of Pickle Ball?
No... but I can hear the paddles thumping from my house...
but... those sounds can only be heard when they drown out the sounds of golfers swearing and ice cubes clinking in my glass!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Oh oh! I'll be back at Winnebago Service Center on Monday, 18th for a redo. I had(have) a small leak that drips into the cabinet over the refrigerator. It was thought that it was the travel lock weep holes being clogged, and possible some other sealant area, but alas, it dripped last evening during a heavy rain. Woe is me. I called the number on Bernie's card, he answered, and I'm to have it back on Monday at 0600 hours. DW will have to get up real, real early to pretty up. I'm going to get ready the night before and take an instant shower in the morning. You know, instant shower equals put some deodorant on.

So, we are going to try for one of the asphalt pads in the parking lot tomorrow Sunday. If you see the Winni Destination, give a knock.

I'm sure glad we were only 22 miles down the highway when we noticed the drip again.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

So I'm back at Winnebago, parked in the parking lot, waiting for the doors to open tomorrow. Besides the leak, the "Jacks Down" light and dinging was for my entire 22 mile trip back here this morning. Back to the drawing board.

Going for some ice to keep the drinks cool. Hot as blazes. I'll be happy to be back on the Gulf Coast of Texas where it is cooler - I hope.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

When you retract the jacks, if you don't let the lights all power off on their own before you turn the jacks off, they have a tendency to do that. Hope that is all the problem.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wayne,
You certainly can't say you're bored and I (and I'm sure you) can think of some worse conditions to be in. Fact is, I'd rather be somewhere else now but allas not until later in the year when this work assignment is complete. But, I'm not complaining (even if it sounds like it). By the way, I can relate to the leak issue but ours was on our previous MH (1999 National). Drove us nuts and 'repaired' it to the point that the RV should have floated it was so tight......then 'drip......drip....'. Grrrrrr.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Beabop,

Not that simple. They came out a few hours ago and said I had 3 leaking hoses. Now how did that happen. I have never seen fluid on the ground. Anyhow, I'm gong to stick around and have them change them out, all six, since 3 failed how far behind are the others. Coach is only 3 years old.

Okay, so as a minimum we are here for one more night. Then we'll see.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I looked at a Destination when they first came out and ran. After reading about your problems Wayne, I'm darn glad I did.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Do you have HWH jacks on the Destination, or are they another brand?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

They are Kwikee jacks with HWH hoses (go figure).

The parts came in today. We will be at the service center at 0600 hours tomorrow, 21st. I'm on their schedule. Hopefully this will be our last service for awhile. We are parked next to the "grassy knolll," along the line of trees which gives us partial to full shade most of the day. Nice thing is that you can "reserve" the site by putting chairs in it, or better by putting your car in it if you are not going anywhere. So I'm going to "hold" it - just in case.

As anyone who watches the news knows, it has been torridly hot in this area, with a heat index around 104-106 degrees. We have been staying in most of the day, except to get a bite to eat. It is supposed to be cooling down (a little) around 1:00 a.m. tomorrow. Hope so.

BTW, I decided to replace all the hydraulic hoses - heck, it's only money.

p.s., It is not only the Destination. There are a large number of other models in and out of service. Some small problems, some large problems. I don't think that it is indicative of any one particular model. I think I may have just gotten the one built after the "stag" party night.

Tags
winnebago