Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #21

We have bought 7 Motorhomes 4 used 3 new, I have to say the New ones were All a problem For the first year ,getting things Repaired/fixed. But most of the time to our satisfaction;; Just for the sake of brain thought;; They trace the small problem Back to the employee, Missed screw in the cabinet/two wires that were not hooked to gather/ Or a host of other problems, ( that we have encountered). Should that employee be Fired ?? (maybe it was me or you ).Let us not forget we all make mistakes. It is just hard accepting someone else is mistakes. weather done by accident or not..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

We have been very happy with our Itasca have logged 13K miles in the two years since purchased just normal maintence that I do myself really like the floor plan.Can't wait to hit the road again.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

bachler,
Well, we've had (4) motor homes. Two class Cs, and two class As. All have served us well. Our present one, a 2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330 CAT and Allison MH3000 trans, is an outstanding unit. Once we developed our search/criteria parameters, we narrowed down to the one we have. It took us about 6 months of searching, the entire U.S. for it. We found two, almost identical units. Only difference, Color.

Since our purchase, about 19 months ago, I've done the normal maintenance but, I've had to do some repairs too. I don't attribute the repairs to anything but just using the coach. My son works for a large RV repair/service center here in San Diego and, without a doubt, Winnes/Itasca's are far below the "frequent" brands/models that show up at his repair center. He gets them all in there, even Newels. You should see some of the stuff that goes wrong with the "High End" coaches!

Anyway, we love our rig to death. It's exactly what we wanted, and it works flawlessly. The CAT 330 is, to me, just barely enough power for a rig that heavy and long. We make it do. The only thing left for us is, TO PAY IT OFF!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #24

Oh I just want to be clear. I do not work for, Own stock, or am I in any way affileated with Winnebago. I just like there coaches..
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Over the past Years I have Been reading of problems Winnebago owners are/had with there coaches . I would like to hear from owners and there good experiances, With their coach.. . As we bought our coach because of the Basement air,as our door is a bit to low for the top mounted air. and the Winnebago Co. Has a dealer/repair network that is everywhere. (I would also Like to make it Perfectly clear Other then being a loyal Winnebago Customer I have no affileation with Winnebago). Lets keep the posts short and NO personal Or competiors attacks. OK> Thanks Have a good year. Life is good
2004 Itasca Meridian 34ft. 86,000 miles and NO problems and Great Tech support if needed.
We use our MH once a month and also take two 3 month trips a year. I think that using them helps eliminate problems.
I also bought our coach because of the basement air. My garage door is 12 ft tall and with roof air it wouldn't fit. I also do all of my own service so I am aware of anything that could be a problem and fix it before there is a problem. I do love our coach.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

must have been the same employee that bent or broke the at least 20 screws I have found.
I have had 2 winnes in 10 years, 8 of the years have been full time.
almost eveything that can break has and I or the factory (4 times) have repaired
I am not bad mouthing winne. winnebago is no worse, and mostly better than other motorhomes in the SAME PRICE RANGE.
But Winnebago QUALITY CONTROL REALLY REALLY IS TERRIBLE. (winne are you listening)
I know that whatever my next one is I will have to go back to the factory so I am going to buy a Tiffin because I like Alabama.
I worked in a factory for 17 years so when I was up there on the little bridge looking down on the winnebago factory workers I saw "wham bam thank you ma'am", as the the rigs went down the assembly line. I said to my wife just like where I worked
just git it out the door!
Now I have to go fix my leaking winshield, glue is all that holding it in the bottom supports have completely rusted away. adios
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I have to agree with Ron's quality control assessment...the only Winnie that I purchased new was an 88 Itasca Windcruiser and I had multiple problems that the factory would not fix. ie: leaking windows- none of them had been caulked. The factory rep gave me a tube of silicone and told me to caulk them. The entire rear cap fell off 18 months after purchase - Factory rep said "it's out of warranty...sorry." etc, etc. I visited the Winnebago factory in 2010 and took the tour. I was hoping that the quality control had improved. Haven't bought a new one again so I don't know. What I do know is that my 88 Windcruiser was perfect when I sold it, but only because I took care of it...not the factory.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have to agree with Ron's quality control assessment...the only Winnie that I purchased new was an 88 Itasca Windcruiser and I had multiple problems that the factory would not fix. ie: leaking windows- none of them had been caulked. The factory rep gave me a tube of silicone and told me to caulk them. The entire rear cap fell off 18 months after purchase - Factory rep said "it's out of warranty...sorry." etc, etc. I visited the Winnebago factory in 2010 and took the tour. I was hoping that the quality control had improved. Haven't bought a new one again so I don't know. What I do know is that my 88 Windcruiser was perfect when I sold it, but only because I took care of it...not the factory.
Wether good or bad, the way I look at it, when you buy a Motorhome you are buying a big kit with all of the stuff put into a rolling box for you. It's up to the purchaser to get it all working. I can't imagine what it would be like not having the skills or resources to do all of this yourself. I have worked on friends RV's that would have cost them a fortune to have the stuff fixed. The one thing I have found with Winnebago is that their Tech services is great and a huge help if needed and that is worth alot if needed.
I am glad to say that I have never had a real problem with my Itasca, BUT I do have an extended service warranty just in case.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
2004 Itasca Meridian 34ft. 86,000 miles and NO problems and Great Tech support if needed.
We use our MH once a month and also take two 3 month trips a year. I think that using them helps eliminate problems.
I also bought our coach because of the basement air. My garage door is 12 ft tall and with roof air it wouldn't fit. I also do all of my own service so I am aware of anything that could be a problem and fix it before there is a problem. I do love our coach.
Chuck, me too. I purchased our current coach new, as it needed to fit into my 12'0" barn door, and it does. 6 years later, and I still love it.

My issues have been minor with my coach (knock on wood ) and I am very happy with Winnebago's quality. I've had some minor issues, but Winnebago did warrant the significant concerns, even out of warranty when my roof awning rail separated from the side wall due to some fasteners shearing off, probably from being over-torqued.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Over the past Years I have Been reading of problems Winnebago owners are/had with there coaches . I would like to hear from owners and there good experiances, With their coach.. . As we bought our coach because of the Basement air,as our door is a bit to low for the top mounted air. and the Winnebago Co. Has a dealer/repair network that is everywhere. (I would also Like to make it Perfectly clear Other then being a loyal Winnebago Customer I have no affileation with Winnebago). Lets keep the posts short and NO personal Or competiors attacks. OK> Thanks Have a good year. Life is good
We are on our 2nd Winnebago Adventurer in 12 years, love them, and the service is the best , we had Holiday Rambler and their service is not as good in this area,every RV has it's
defects, but if you can get parts and service , that's what is important
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #31

All I can say Is You meet the nicest people When you own a Winnebago, These posts make me feel so good ; It's like I'm getting a christmas Present from every nice post. Thanks thanks thanks.. Plesent words make life so good..
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
must have been the same employee that bent or broke the at least 20 screws I have found.
I have had 2 winnes in 10 years, 8 of the years have been full time.
almost eveything that can break has and I or the factory (4 times) have repaired
I am not bad mouthing winne. winnebago is no worse, and mostly better than other motorhomes in the SAME PRICE RANGE.
But Winnebago QUALITY CONTROL REALLY REALLY IS TERRIBLE. (winne are you listening)
I know that whatever my next one is I will have to go back to the factory so I am going to buy a Tiffin because I like Alabama.
I worked in a factory for 17 years so when I was up there on the little bridge looking down on the winnebago factory workers I saw "wham bam thank you ma'am", as the the rigs went down the assembly line. I said to my wife just like where I worked
just git it out the door!
Now I have to go fix my leaking winshield, glue is all that holding it in the bottom supports have completely rusted away. adios
When an employee is using the same screws as you indecated, it is there job to install the screws, they are installed with a torque wrench with a spicific torque preset, I just wonder if they coukd have gotten a batch of over tempered/hardened screws from there supplier, that were braking. Just a thought.. ( I don't think for one minute that they intentionly do it;;
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I have been camping for over 40 years, I have owned two tents, a popup trailer, a pickup camper, two fithwheels and two Motorhomes, Along the way I have had a few liveaboard boats. They all have one thing in common, They need maintainence! With the exception of the tent, much of the maintainence could be interchangeable as each of them was a motorized house moving from place to place! Each of them were man made with parts and equiptment from other manufacturers. The only company that was able to tell me exactly what part was installed in my unit and who made it has been Winnebago. All the rest did not keep it documented. If in the middle of a model year they needed to reorder, and the same part number was no longer available or the price to them was cheaper they would not always know the answer a year or two down the road and I was left to do the research.
I have only owned the Winnebago for one year and 12,000 warranted miles and have needed their help with the first year bugs. So far so good! It seems to be the best that I have owned. They actually seem to have a parts book for all their models online! Since they are one of the bigger companys that make coaches they seem to have a bigger dealer network than most. Although I did spend last winter in south Texas and the closest dealer was 300 miles away!
Could be worse, the boat pictured as my avatar was made in Taiwan and assembled in someones backyard. Many of the assesories were installed as an aftermarket item once it was in the USA, and the dealers in the USA were no longer in business.
"I like the Winnebago!
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
bachler,
Well, we've had (4) motor homes. Two class Cs, and two class As. All have served us well. Our present one, a 2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330 CAT and Allison MH3000 trans, is an outstanding unit. Once we developed our search/criteria parameters, we narrowed down to the one we have. It took us about 6 months of searching, the entire U.S. for it. We found two, almost identical units. Only difference, Color.

Since our purchase, about 19 months ago, I've done the normal maintenance but, I've had to do some repairs too. I don't attribute the repairs to anything but just using the coach. My son works for a large RV repair/service center here in San Diego and, without a doubt, Winnes/Itasca's are far below the "frequent" brands/models that show up at his repair center. He gets them all in there, even Newels. You should see some of the stuff that goes wrong with the "High End" coaches!

Anyway, we love our rig to death. It's exactly what we wanted, and it works flawlessly. The CAT 330 is, to me, just barely enough power for a rig that heavy and long. We make it do. The only thing left for us is, TO PAY IT OFF!
Scott
Fire Up, really good looking MH. I am about make the jump to a Winnie for full timing and don't want to have the hassles of a new one. I am researching different ways of purchasing a used one; via a dealer, internet, classifieds, etc. Can you tell me your experience on purchasing?
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
Fire Up, really good looking MH. I am about make the jump to a Winnie for full timing and don't want to have the hassles of a new one. I am researching different ways of purchasing a used one; via a dealer, internet, classifieds, etc. Can you tell me your experience on purchasing?
Now that is one fine looking coach. And it will not show it's age , like I do.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Hey Bachler, I've purchased several motorhomes online and I've learned something from every purchase, if you're interested:
1. ALWAYS inspect the coach in person before plunking down the cash.
2. Don't be in too much of a hurry...bargains get much better if you have cash and if the buyer knows you have other options.
3. Make sure the coach has manuals and records.
4. Always follow rule no. 1.

I have had quite a bit of luck on Ebay, although I have only purchased one coach that went directly through Ebay. Ebay has a $50,000 buyer protection clause if you follow their instructions explicitly. I usually contact the seller and end up purchasing the coach from them after their auction has ended and they haven't gotten the price that they want. I contact them during the auction with some questions and let them know about what I'm willing to spend.

The coach I have now is a 2006 Itasca Meridian that we just love. It went through the auction three times and was on a consignment lot in Tucson. Three others tried to buy it but the financing fell through. I was in love with the coach but I figured "if it's meant to be, it will happen." It did. When they agreed to my price, I flew down, inspected the coach, took it to a dealer to answer some other questions that I had, and then bought it and drove it home to Reno.

If you're worried about breakdowns, etc., you can always purchase the Good Sam warranty which is cancellable with a full refund for up to 30 days. That way, even if you have to drive across country, which is part of the fun, if you don't have any problems, you'll be home free.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #37

We love our 2013 Itasca Ellipse 42GD. We have had it in for some work but everything has been taken care of. We have taken it on 3-4 trips and are very very happy. We researched on line a long time before settling on this particular model. Then my husband did the factory tour. Later we saw the unit in person at the FMCA rally in Indianapolis, bought it and have been happy campers since. It has so many features that we wanted like the all electric option, full width closet, full size drawers and oh, did I mention the 52 inch TV with J couch that gives my tv-oholic DH a straight on view. We looked at all kinds of manufacturers' sites and saw videos, etc. Itasca was clearly the one for us. We don't think our for-the-most-part minor issues requiring several visits to the dealer have been unusual for the industry. If we had to do it all over again, we would!
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow My perspective.

Quote:
Greetings all:
I wanted to answer this from the other end of the spectrum. I read the posts and saw many are owners of new or newer coaches. My MH is an 89 model but before I say why, I'll give you my short story. Retired Army, spent too many years gone, never had an RV because raising kids on my salary didn't leave much for that. Fast forward and I'm single and in the civilian world now working overseas. Last year I had the chance to go home to see my son graduate from Basic Training. I wanted to be able to take my other grown kids and my two grandkids to see their brother/dad graduate. I have kicked around the idea of getting a MH for a long time but for different reasons just couldn't pursue it until last year. I had researched the classics. I knew I did not want a typical box shape and I wanted a 37' model with a 454. I'm a long term GM guy. I'm also into classic vehicles. This was to be no exception. I emailed Winnebago a few times before my hunt began in earnest asking about specifics and availability of some parts and or service. I was impressed by their response to me. I found the model I wanted with low miles and it was where I could fly in and pick it up when I came back for R&R. In the end, I bought it with a recommendation from a friend in the area, I drove it three thousand miles in a little over a week with my family and we had a great time with no problems. Winnebago has a good reputation and seemed to be concerned when I asked questions and I love the styling. It works for me to have my older model. I've since bought a few things to update it and find that many are still available. Last thing is the quality of the motorhome. It's over twenty years old and stii solid. I'm sure it isn't for everybody but I'm happy with it.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
Greetings all:
I wanted to answer this from the other end of the spectrum. I read the posts and saw many are owners of new or newer coaches. My MH is an 89 model but before I say why, I'll give you my short story. Retired Army, spent too many years gone, never had an RV because raising kids on my salary didn't leave much for that. Fast forward and I'm single and in the civilian world now working overseas. Last year I had the chance to go home to see my son graduate from Basic Training. I wanted to be able to take my other grown kids and my two grandkids to see their brother/dad graduate. I have kicked around the idea of getting a MH for a long time but for different reasons just couldn't pursue it until last year. I had researched the classics. I knew I did not want a typical box shape and I wanted a 37' model with a 454. I'm a long term GM guy. I'm also into classic vehicles. This was to be no exception. I emailed Winnebago a few times before my hunt began in earnest asking about specifics and availability of some parts and or service. I was impressed by their response to me. I found the model I wanted with low miles and it was where I could fly in and pick it up when I came back for R&R. In the end, I bought it with a recommendation from a friend in the area, I drove it three thousand miles in a little over a week with my family and we had a great time with no problems. Winnebago has a good reputation and seemed to be concerned when I asked questions and I love the styling. It works for me to have my older model. I've since bought a few things to update it and find that many are still available. Last thing is the quality of the motorhome. It's over twenty years old and stii solid. I'm sure it isn't for everybody but I'm happy with it.
Congratulations on the great trip and your son's graduation
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
Congratulations on the great trip and your son's graduation
Thanks. I do appreciate it. I never thought it would be so but I now have two kids in the military. Looking forward to getting the MH out again in the spring maybe.
Merry Christmas to all..
Ken

Tags
winnebago