Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Why are there more people on Winnebago

I have been wondering why there are always more people on the Winnebago site then the other motor home brands. Is it because there are more problems with Winnebago's? Or are there more of them on the road?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

JMHO: More of them on the road.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Probably more on the road as one or more of the market segments that Winnebago has targeted has a lot of buyers compared to some of the other segments with fewer buyers. Each segment has a different pricing, level of quality, differing buyers needs and buyers expectations.

A simple example has to do with time in the coach. A young couple with two children who want an rv to go on two week vacations will have a different way of looking at their coach then an older retired couple who would like to take extended trips for three or four months. The quality of the coach needs to be much higher for the extended trips as the amount of usage the coach will be put to is way beyond what is really needed for short term usage.

If you take the position that Winnebago must be better than brand Y because there are a lot of them on the road, you are probably increasing your risk of making a bad decision that fails to consider your specific needs, requirements, and expectations.

On the other hand, the poorer quality coaches will suffer more problems within a short period of time, especially if the owner starts using them for longer periods than intended and in ways not designed into the coach as their needs expand or change, so that can also increase the need for solving problems and more forum interactions.

The worst part are the emotional justifications and emotional arguments when fellow rvs start their simplistic comparisons to make themselves feel better or above it.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Winnebago is the largest RV Manufacturer in the world. They now produce travel trailers, fifth wheels, and of course their original product the Motorhome. Unless you want to spend a million dollars, they have a product that fits your needs and budget.

I visited their factory last Summer and was quite impressed.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago Industries started making trailers in 1958, motorhomes in 1966. They've been around a long time and make a large range of recreational vehicles. Their mass production allowed costs to be reduced, allowing many people entry into the RV world. I think their quality is equal to any, most systems are used by many other RV makers. Their documentation is superior to most, being available on line.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

More on the road. They make an affordable RV and have been around for about 50 years.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We're just more social. The Flying W will do that to you. LOL
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
We're just more social. The Flying W will do that to you. LOL
Now, the Flying W is not to be confused with the flying fickle finger of fate!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago owners are just more passionate about their units and camping!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Tan;
I agree with the previous answers that there are more Winnebago products on the road. I now own my 3rd Winnebago product and I personally believe their products are some of the best. I have returned to the factory on 2 occasions for non warranty service and I am very satisfied with the product and their service.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well folks,
We're on our first "Winne/Itasca" and, we love the coach. Many of you have read of my "excursions" into some repairs in this big beast and some of them have been one serious pain in the a$$. But, of all the repairs I've done, Radiator replacement, complete 7.5QD generator tear down for certain parts R&R, rear slide hydraulic ram R&R, basement A/C R&R for parts replacement, left rear hub/wheel removal for axle seal replacement, and a few other things, those were all outside vendor applications to a Winne/Itasca rig.

I've only repaired one or two items that are direct Winne/Itasca components or, construction. When we first got the coach in May of '11, (it's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT) it had a couple of drawers in the living room/kitchen area that were falling apart. I simply pulled them out, re-attached all the sides/corners/bottoms etc. and re-installed them. They've been fine ever since.

We love the coach. We get comments on its looks each and every time we take her out. I just chalk up any issues it has, whether they be a contributor's part or, a Winne/Itasca construction issue, as, things are man made. And, anything man made has great potential for either breaking or malfunctioning. Some will break/malfunction sooner and some, later.

As per the OPs original question, some of you have answered it pretty accurately. Winne/Itasca appeal to a fairly large percentage of the masses out there. They've diversified themselves so they can attack more variances of the market. It appears it's worked fairly well for them, even in the economic down turn of a couple of years ago. The question is, would I/we buy another one again, most likely.

I read and see a few issues with some of the newer models of Winne/Itasca but, again, it's man made and the potential is there. I too was at the Winne/Itasca factory this last summer and, I was pretty impressed as I talked with many of the assemblers on the line. I even like the new "retro" Brave although there's about ZERO storage on the thing, compared to what we have now.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago