Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Since I always run with my lights on (headlights and marker) I've never observed it in it's non-bright mode

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

You can get more info out of it in the service mode. Hint the password is 8127 (at least on mine it is)
krfrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

What website did you find yours on? I am thinking of buying one.
Steve
Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2008 Monaco with a Medallion Info system which is on the friz no luck in getting help from Medallion and getting the stall from Monaco. What is the new system?
nitnub007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnub007 View Post
I have a 2008 Monaco with a Medallion Info system which is on the friz no luck in getting help from Medallion and getting the stall from Monaco. What is the new system?
Well Sir,
First off, may I ask, what do you mean by "On the Fritz"? That info center, made by Medallion, is simply a small LCD screen with small computer in it that allows you, (the end user) to toggle between information statements that, are transmitted to the MMDC (Multi-Module-Data-Computer) via what's called the J-1939 data link.

Normally they do not go bad. The early model ones, as in prior to the possible '06s or maybe later, were not designed correctly. They would not give the driver a quality reading, based on drivers sitting position and, where the display was mounted in/on the dash. So, a new and more enhanced unit was designed. It gives a much better display, brighter and, visible at a much more acute angle than the old ones. As I stated quite a bit earlier in this thread, it's not ALARMINGLY that much better but, it IS better than the old ones.

And, also like stated, if even your parking lights are on during daytime running, it lights up for an even better display. But, in your original statement, you say yours is on the fritz. So, what has to be determined is, is the information that is supplied to it, being interrupted some how or, is not being transmitted by all the involved sending units or, is your display fading or, in some other way, just going bad? I'd hate to see you purchase another display, only to find out, it acts the same way, due to a problematic information system being sent to it. Those new and improved displays are close to about, $230-$260, if I recall. I think I paid close to $230.00, plus or minus.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the Freightliner Service Solution that describes the 'new' display and how it differs from the old one: FreightlinerInfoCenter.pdf.

(Note you'll need to select Download at the bottom of the screen after clicking on the above link.)

Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Medallion duspaly

Scott,
I changed mine up last year, way better than the old one and I like the real time info it gives me as to road speed,gear selection etc. 385.00 through the Freightliner dealer in Canada.
I use it for basics at this stage but will follow your posts as I know you will experiment and fill us in. I tried the 8127 code and it would not allow me access.
Btw did you get that air brake book I sent you?
Bob
Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1 View Post
Scott,
I changed mine up last year, way better than the old one and I like the real time info it gives me as to road speed,gear selection etc. 385.00 through the Freightliner dealer in Canada.
I use it for basics at this stage but will follow your posts as I know you will experiment and fill us in. I tried the 8127 code and it would not allow me access.
Btw did you get that air brake book I sent you?
Bob

Bob,
Yes I did get the Air Brake book. I started reading through it, put it down. Started again, put it down and, I still go at it every so often. What I'd really like to find is an exact air plumbing diagram of our coach. I called Freightliner and they were nice enough to send me a sort of "generic" version. While it is oK, it's not mine and, I'd really like to know all the particulars about mine.

Anyway, about the Medallion Info Center. I use it for just that. INFORMATION about what's presently going on in the coach. I have inserted the 8127 and, if I recall, it did give me some other info but, I'm not recalling if any of it was of any real value, at least to me, at the time I was doing it. I'll be doing it again on our next trip to see and, record what, if anything, is of value. I'll let you know. Thanks again for that manual. I really appreciate it.
Scott
Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Scott, you should be able to get the air system schematic for your coach from AccessFreightliner.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Scott, you should be able to get the air system schematic for your coach from AccessFreightliner.
Chris,
I certainly thank you for that suggestion. I will jump into accessfreightliner and see what they have to offer in this area.
Scott
Old 12-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Well,
I installed my new information center in the rig today. Wow, now I know what it can do since it was black when I bought the rig. I toggled around and found a lot of info it will display. unfortunately every time I switched around I forgot how I got to the previous screen. Does someone have the booklet for the information center downloaded or know where I can find it to obtain a copy? I don't think mine changes when lights are turned on but messing with the contrast made it easy to see. I would recommend one just for the fact its connected to the dash info center and it fills a factory spot without additional items on the dash
Eric
Old 12-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

I've just posted a file Medallion Instrumentation Service Manual (Spartan) in the Files section. Although it's from Spartan not Freightliner I believe that the operation of the Info Center is the same. (Once the file upload has been approved by the mods you'll be able to download it from the above link.)

Old 12-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

My Freightliner operations manual has flowcharts for it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow ride View Post
Well,
I installed my new information center in the rig today. Wow, now I know what it can do since it was black when I bought the rig. I toggled around and found a lot of info it will display. unfortunately every time I switched around I forgot how I got to the previous screen. Does someone have the booklet for the information center downloaded or know where I can find it to obtain a copy? I don't think mine changes when lights are turned on but messing with the contrast made it easy to see. I would recommend one just for the fact its connected to the dash info center and it fills a factory spot without additional items on the dash
Eric
Slow ride,
I've got a PDF on the operation of that Medallion Information Center. I'll try and link it to this post but, no guaranties. I have not messed with the contrast on mine. It does change its contrast automatically when the running lights are turned on. It's a pretty good system and, I've gotten used to wizzing through screens, even when driving. Ok, I think it uploaded fine.

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FreightlinerInfoCenter.pdf (129.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

Got the pdf download.
thanks to all that have provided all the information.
Eric
Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
First off, may I ask, what do you mean by "On the Fritz"? That info center, made by Medallion, is simply a small LCD screen with small computer in it that allows you, (the end user) to toggle between information statements that, are transmitted to the MMDC (Multi-Module-Data-Computer) via what's called the J-1939 data link.

Normally they do not go bad. The early model ones, as in prior to the possible '06s or maybe later, were not designed correctly. They would not give the driver a quality reading, based on drivers sitting position and, where the display was mounted in/on the dash. So, a new and more enhanced unit was designed. It gives a much better display, brighter and, visible at a much more acute angle than the old ones. As I stated quite a bit earlier in this thread, it's not ALARMINGLY that much better but, it IS better than the old ones.

And, also like stated, if even your parking lights are on during daytime running, it lights up for an even better display. But, in your original statement, you say yours is on the fritz. So, what has to be determined is, is the information that is supplied to it, being interrupted some how or, is not being transmitted by all the involved sending units or, is your display fading or, in some other way, just going bad? I'd hate to see you purchase another display, only to find out, it acts the same way, due to a problematic information system being sent to it. Those new and improved displays are close to about, $230-$260, if I recall. I think I paid close to $230.00, plus or minus.
Scott

Screen is just white no information. Buttons do nothing
nitnub007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnub007 View Post
Screen is just white no information. Buttons do nothing
nitnub007,
You state your screen is just white and no info is displayed, correct? Now, let me ask something here. Does that screen, change colors at all, that is, darker to lighter, if and when the ignition is turned on? Or, is it the same color, 24/7 with or without the ignition on or off.

I do not recall any fuses pertaining to the wiring of that info center when I changed mine but, that doesn't mean one's not there someplace. Now, there are at least 6 wires leading to the back of that Info Center.

1. Power
2. Ground
3. Panel lights
4. J1939 +
5. J1939 -
6. J1939 Shield

Now, as stated, the J1939 receives data from multiple sources within the operation of the system.

1. Engine ECM
2. Transmission Control Module
3. ABS Module
4. MMDC or, Multi-Module-Data-Computer

Once that data, from all sources is compiled inside that MMDC, it is then deciphered and sent to all the appropriate gauges:

1. All analog gauges
2. "Annunciator Panel" or, Colored light bar with all the icons of various meanings
3. Medallion Information Center

So, to your problem. As asked, you need to determine if your Info Center is receiving power at all, from the ignition and, that means does it light up to the "White" you're speaking of or, is it white all the time? If it's lighting up to the white screen, then your power is getting to the Info Center. But, the J1939 is what feeds that screen with all the appropriate info you need to see on it.

IF your screen is white all the time and does not change with the ignition on, then you need to determine where the break down of the power to the screen is. And, as a side note, we all know that a bad ground is the answer to the majority of auto electrical problems. So, with that being said, the ground to that Info Center is coupled with the grounds to all the instrumentation but, that doesn't mean it hasn't become dislodged from the main connection point. So, that may have to be checked out too. Hope this info helps some. Good luck.
Scott
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Info Center Back Light on FULL all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
nitnub007,

Now, there are at least 6 wires leading to the back of that Info Center.

1. Power
2. Ground
3. Panel lights
4. J1939 +
5. J1939 -
6. J1939 Shield

Now, as stated, the J1939 receives data from multiple sources within the operation of the system.
I have been looking for a way to dim the backlight?

Could just be the way the connector is counted.
BUT: iRV2 Forums - Files - Medallion Instrumentation Service Manual (Spartan)
shows different #'s for the use. As in #5 is the backlight
Though I have not seen a FIG # that shows how to count, or color codes?

Has anyone tried to connect the display to the dash lights?
Driving at night I am distracted by the bright light on this unit?
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

Ronnie,
Well, while searching for your lighting cure, in the mean time, as a temp measure, I'd maybe get some window tint film, the kind that's just static cling on, and cut a small piece and just lay it over the screen. That way, you'd still be able to read what you like and, it won't be too bright. And, you could keep on searching for the correct way to dim that light.
Scott
Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Backlight to bright.

Removed the unit today and the center pin away from the connector latch (pink wire) is connected through 2 resistors to the backlight. Now just need to see if the problem is that my dash dimmer isn't lowering the voltage enough to dim LED's or if it is something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InfoCenter03.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	105322   Click image for larger version

Name:	InfoCenter01.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	105323  

Click image for larger version

Name:	InfoCenter02.jpg