Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

On the Workhorse vs. Ford thing. Watch closely. The W16 and W18 didn't come out until the 2006 model year. Before that the P series was used on the light end of the GVW range. Just something to be aware of as you search. Watch out too for coaches built on less chassis than ideal. Lot's of stuff in the 26-32' range built on 18,000 pound chassis. That wouldn't have been enough for our 31'.

A 1999 coach wouldn't have scared me into selling. Seems like a shame if you liked it. Any motorhome gets old. My last motorhome stayed in our family for almost 35 years and nearly 200,000 miles. It saw the side of the road now and again, but made great memories. And it was like $21,000 new. That's bang for the buck!

We started looking at Sightseers back in '02 or so. It's definitely the most bang for the buck among the Vista/Sightseer/Brave(Voyage)/Adventurer gas chassis models. Simple math there. That said, we landed in an Adventurer. There are features we'd really miss if we had to go to a Sightseer, even brand new (they add features every year it seems). Look closely. We love our 31Y. Only out there for a few years, quite rare. All the Adventurer features, 31'7" go anywhere length.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

We searched for three years to find our 33V

We purchased a new 1995 Tioga 23D class C drove it for 16 years and logged 52K miles on it it performed well just maintence items nothing major but then we got the class A itch. Looked at dozens of coaches we wanted the dark wood interior & We wanted to buy used but in the years 03 to 06 fianally we located a low mileage 05 Itasca sunrise 33V w/ the workhorse chassie we are very happy with this unit, all the extra storage is great good luck on your search.
fun 33V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
On the Workhorse vs. Ford thing. Watch closely. The W16 and W18 didn't come out until the 2006 model year. Before that the P series was used on the light end of the GVW range. Just something to be aware of as you search. Watch out too for coaches built on less chassis than ideal. Lot's of stuff in the 26-32' range built on 18,000 pound chassis. That wouldn't have been enough for our 31'.

A 1999 coach wouldn't have scared me into selling. Seems like a shame if you liked it. Any motorhome gets old. My last motorhome stayed in our family for almost 35 years and nearly 200,000 miles. It saw the side of the road now and again, but made great memories. And it was like $21,000 new. That's bang for the buck!

We started looking at Sightseers back in '02 or so. It's definitely the most bang for the buck among the Vista/Sightseer/Brave(Voyage)/Adventurer gas chassis models. Simple math there. That said, we landed in an Adventurer. There are features we'd really miss if we had to go to a Sightseer, even brand new (they add features every year it seems). Look closely. We love our 31Y. Only out there for a few years, quite rare. All the Adventurer features, 31'7" go anywhere length.
A lot of information in there that I wasn't aware of. You'd think I'd be up on this as much as I've looked online. Maybe I need to focus more on the mechanical side of this equation!
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Spent a year looking at Ws

After a great deal of looking and "research", we decided the Itasca 35U with 2 slides was about the best layout available for us and our 2 100 lb puppies. Length was not an issue, as we always tow either our 2 cycles or 1949 Jeep behind us. It's a 50' space or nothing. Spent months looking at layouts and trying to find out what problems we were likely to encounter. Thanks to this site, we were fairly sharp, and began making offers. I have never seen a better time than now to buy most any big ticket item. Most people start off at high book asking prices and eventually sell at MUCH less. We tracked our Itasca 35U w/2 slides for several months and eventually bought it at 45% of the original listing price. We also sold our Mint 24' Class C for 30% less than we asked originally. RVs are sort of like larger boats, you better go in knowing something is "probably" wrong with it and keep plenty of $ in reserve to cover whatever it is. Even if nothing is wrong, there will be something you really want to add to your new land yacht. Ka ching!!!Thanks again to this site, I found it is pretty common for Ws to have poorly constructed front windshield frames. Before buying, I lifted the windshield weatherstrippings, and sure enough found rust. Everything else was mint. Knew this going in and first thing I have done is get this repaired. We saved so much on the price we would have been OK had the engine itself failed. I am not timid about making offers, but I am courteous, and always try to leave the door open should someone reconsider and want to get back to me, which is exactly what happened. There are great deals to be had, at least in Florida. Ive "lurked" this site quite awhile, and hopefully now, maybe I can pay back a bit.

Jim
oldcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcapt View Post
Thanks again to this site, I found it is pretty common for Ws to have poorly constructed front windshield frames. Before buying, I lifted the windshield weatherstrippings, and sure enough found rust.
Hey Jim,
Do you think the Winnebagos also have the same issue with poorly constructed front windshield frames? I do know one thing from my experience with our previous Class A (National), it was a great RV but water is the hiding enemy of every RV. We had virtually no problems with the National except a small....and I mean small... leak that drove us crazy. Finally took 2 trips to Camping World for seal tests, recoating roof, resealing all joints (had rubber roof), etc. One thing I did learn was that I don't want another rubber roof. That's what sold me on Winnebago to start with....the solid roof.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca / Winnebago Windshield frame rust

Hey Jim,
Do you think the Winnebagos also have the same issue with poorly constructed front windshield frames?

I found a number of Winnebago Adventurers and other models as well as my Itasca 35U Sunflyer with windshield frame problems. Not an issue for me if you can buy the RV at a low enough price. I have no idea how many have this problem but it is EZ to check. Just lift (gently) the black weatherstrip accross the bottom of the windshield(s) and also at the top (ladder). I am having mine done now and was given a $1000 estimate. I would expect it to be $2000 -$3000, just a gut feeling. Still nowhere near a deal breaker for us. I also took a mechanic's floor creeper and rolled under several I was interested in with a flashlight. Mine had almost no rust anywhere, except the darn windshields. Just like my 50 + years of boating experience, I want to spend my time RV'ng and not constantly repairing stuff. I can do it, but IM retired and just want to have fun.
oldcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Have a Journey for sale

We've got a 2004 32' for sale. Let me know if interested and I can get details to you.
dwink2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

The 32V/33V models fit your description perfectly. I wouldn't get too nitpicky about Ford/Chevy, either. From the era you're looking at, the Chevy generally performed better but the Ford generally less problematic. Just go with the best deal really. Good luck!
rollins215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

The Adventurer has a nice floor plan as well in a 32'
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #30
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Just my opinion but in todays market being what it is look at an 04 or 05 Journey or Horizon or similar. I assume you know what the gas chassis drives like take a 34 or 36 foot deisel chassis out for a drive and compare, drive up a few large hills or mountains. Plus the deisel is just getting broken in at 50,000, there are some terrific deals on the deisels.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

We purchased a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V with 35,000 on a Workhorse Chassis Last November.
Beside going to a NFl game, returning to the dealer for the brake recall and going out on our first weekend (last weekend) we can't wait for the upcoming year. Last weekend was great.

Read and then read yourself silly. You will find tons of good and bad points on any car, truck or motorhome that you research. I think it is human nature to spout off on all the bad and not post as much as the good.

Just remember with anything used (car, boat, truck or RV) that you will need to make a list and then prioritize it of all the items that need to be repaired / upgraded / maintained.

I have driven less then 500 miles in ours but have replaced all six tires, the shocks, changed the transmission and engine oil over to synthetic, replaced the antifreeze, air filter, serpentine belt, changed generator oil along with a host of other filters.

The next project is to do a windshield reseal. I have a slight leak on the drivers side.

Just make sure to keep a couple extra $$ for when you need to make repairs.

My reason for Winnebago was the documentation that is available on their website and listening to the people who own them, such as here on this great message board.

Good luck and keep asking questions...
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Probably the one you use the most and keep the longest. Which specific one? I have no idea.
Hi Ho: This makes really good sense to me, but I am in the habit of keeping vehicles much longer than most do. If you maintain the RV and know the condition of things a 10 or 15 year coach can be more reliable than a new one. Things do wear out and need replacement, but if they are properly maintained and replaced or rebuilt as needed an RV can last at least 15 years in my experience.

One thing that makes a difference in price and the amount of miles till replacement on the drive chain is whether it is gas or diesel. Gas is probably good for over 100,000 miles if maintained and diesel maybe twice that. If not properly maintained all bets are off. Diesels are more expensive to maintain, but do last longer.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Just my opinion but in todays market being what it is look at an 04 or 05 Journey or Horizon or similar. I assume you know what the gas chassis drives like take a 34 or 36 foot deisel chassis out for a drive and compare, drive up a few large hills or mountains. Plus the deisel is just getting broken in at 50,000, there are some terrific deals on the deisels.
You're right about the deals on diesels right now. They seem to be priced at close to the gas Class A's. Three things hold me back from getting a diesel: 1) the price of fuel, 2) my lack of understanding of the diesel itself. I'm comfy with gas engines and powertrains. ...fixed a few in my time. and 3) I was recently talking to a tech at a dealership (now turned salesman) and he seems to be impressed that the diesels could get they're 'yearly service' for around $700! I don't know about you but if that's the going rate for a yearly maintenance on a diesel, my wallet won't let me buy one!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

2001 Journey 36GD 52,000 miles of which 12,000 are mine. Bought the rig 18 months ago and we love it. I think you must understand that when you buy a used M/H there are going to be some repair and delayed maintenance issues. The older the rig the more issues. As a "rule of thumb" I would recommend you alot $1,000.00 for every year old the machine is. I know some people are going to say, "OMG that's way too much."

Well, at $3,000 for 6 new tires and a bunch of filters and lubs and worn bell cranks and some refigerator control boards and-and-and. Guess what it, don't take long to get to $10 grand on a 10 year old rig. Don't mean to scare you off, but the sying is when you go into retirement "Bring money." Same applies to motor homing.

As to your choice of the shorter wheel base rigs I would advise you to drive them before you buy them. Not just around the block, but 20 - 30 miles at highway speeds and in the wind for sure. Also check the ride on the shorties. For the ride, Be sure you get air bag suspension. 32" is too short for a class A.

There are a ton of good buys available in motor homes. Just remember "There is no free lunch." Also watch the dealers some are good and some are very bad. Any dealer without an AAAAA+ rating is not worthy of believing a word they say.

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Most Bang for the Buck. Depends on your needs. We have had class A's and now a Class C.

Only you can decide if you are getting what you want for the $$$$.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
2001 Journey 36GD 52,000 miles of which 12,000 are mine. Bought the rig 18 months ago and we love it. I think you must understand that when you buy a used M/H there are going to be some repair and delayed maintenance issues. The older the rig the more issues. As a "rule of thumb" I would recommend you alot $1,000.00 for every year old the machine is. I know some people are going to say, "OMG that's way too much."

Well, at $3,000 for 6 new tires and a bunch of filters and lubs and worn bell cranks and some refigerator control boards and-and-and. Guess what it, don't take long to get to $10 grand on a 10 year old rig. Don't mean to scare you off, but the sying is when you go into retirement "Bring money." Same applies to motor homing.

As to your choice of the shorter wheel base rigs I would advise you to drive them before you buy them. Not just around the block, but 20 - 30 miles at highway speeds and in the wind for sure. Also check the ride on the shorties. For the ride, Be sure you get air bag suspension. 32" is too short for a class A.

There are a ton of good buys available in motor homes. Just remember "There is no free lunch." Also watch the dealers some are good and some are very bad. Any dealer without an AAAAA+ rating is not worthy of believing a word they say.

Pine Tree
Yep, bought a 1999 National used (just sold it) and i'll admit that we had wonderful luck with it but we know also about the repairs of used RVs. So, I'm with you there. As far as the shorter RVs, our old one was a 35' Class A and was pretty good on the interstate, although I always watched for the 18-wheelers to pass me. I take it that you've had experience with something less than 32' on the road? ....bad in the wind? ...rough ride?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Diesel total milage advantage really that important?

Originally I really wanted a diesel (still sorta do), but the whole "just getting broken in at 50K" thing seems a bit overkill, since very few folks ever put anywhere near 100K on their units. Most of the units we looked at before we bought our 04 Sunrise were in the 2002-2007 range, and VERY few had over 25K. I'm thinking most owners will replace their units long before the engines give them real troubles because of too many miles. Of course if you are planning on full timing, that might be another thing.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&SW View Post
Originally I really wanted a diesel (still sorta do), but the whole "just getting broken in at 50K" thing seems a bit overkill, since very few folks ever put anywhere near 100K on their units. Most of the units we looked at before we bought our 04 Sunrise were in the 2002-2007 range, and VERY few had over 25K. I'm thinking most owners will replace their units long before the engines give them real troubles because of too many miles. Of course if you are planning on full timing, that might be another thing.
I tend to agree with you and that is one reason I'm not overly aggressive to look for a diesel. To be honest, since we're not full-timing it doesn't seem worth the additional cost of diesel and routine maintenance on the RV considering that we'll more than likely never approach the 100k mark or even 50K. I too have been looking at 2002 - 2007s and see about the same as you - 25k average miles. By the time I add another 25k miles to those RVs (to reach the 50k) I'll more than likely have move along to another RV. That's my thoughts.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

We love our '03 Brave 33V on the workhorse chassis. Rides and handles like a dream. With 2 slides it feels like a 36 footer.
artmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, meant 32V. Actually is 33 feet though.
artmartin is offline   Reply With Quote