Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

As many have said previously, It helps to be able to fix things yourself. If your are not wanting to maintain it yourself, then it is critically important that your buy from an established dealer with a very good service department and has carried the line for a long time. I would also suggest you purchase an extended warranty that covers as much as possible. Check out the warranty company too. Some policies can cover most all the major components for as much as 84 months.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

was my thought after reading what can go wrong and what will go wrong on Irv2.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Hey, if no one ever bought new, there wouldn't be any used!

The rig you've settled on is a great one. It was on our short list (the Itasca version) before we bought our "retirement rig". We passed on it because of the sales rep, not the product.

The totally problem free rig would be the exception, not the rule. It's simply a matter of how many and of what magnitude. Our last motorhome was relatively problem free over the 4 years and 30k miles we owned it (The dash cover was replaced twice due to cracking. The second replacement had obviously been made of a different grade material - no further problem). Our current rig took us a year to get most of the squawk list gone. The nice thing about the new rig, it has a warranty. If you're concerned about the "what ifs" beyond the manufacturer's warranty period you can buy some piece of mind with an extended warranty (actually an insurance product). I feel they are overpriced, but others will tell you they won't buy an RV without it.

A good friend bought a late model used coach using the same logic that has already been expressed here. While I'd generally tell you that logic is well founded, he had multiple very expensive issues pop up within the first year of ownership. It seems the previous owner had simply ignored or "deferred" a lot of items needing attention and passed all that on to our friend. After several thousands of dollars and a year or so he ended up with a great coach. I only mention this to illustrate, you can optimize your odds but you can't really change them.

Bottom line. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "paralysis by analysis". Buy something your deserving bride really likes, everything else will be what it will be. After your long military career, I suspect you'll be able to deal with whatever comes your way.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 Pilot View Post
My simple question is this. In all of the research that I have done it seems like everybody has problems, descrpencies, breakdowns, and failures with thir new rigs. The least amount of squawks from one member was 12 with the most being over a 100 squawks from another member. Is this just the way it is or are those out their, the hidden majority, that have had very little or no problems with their new purchases? I am not so niaeve to believe that there will never be any problems but not being a handyman is scaring me a little.
I will not be offended by anyone telling me that this life stile is not for me and that I should walk away from this dream.
I'm opening myself up a little bit but at the same time I trust the folks that are apart of irv2.
Your very candid comments appreciated.
Everyone seems to have problems with their RVs.
IMO, the people that DO NOT/HAVE NOT HAD problems are:

1.) VERY LUCKY!

2.) Don't realize when things break, (or don't understand how things are supposed to work in the first place...... IGNORANCE IS BLISS!

3.) Are LYING!

Mel
'96 safari 132k miles, (105k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 Pilot View Post
In an effort to do the best job that I can in choosing an appropriate motorhome for the DW and myself I have spent countless hours researching, comparing and looking at several different MH's. Irv2 has been invaluable in helping us come to an agreement. I am intimidated by the vast amount of knowledge that all of you bring to this forum. Our thanks goes to one and all.
We are fairly convinced that a 2014 Winniebago Tour QD is the coach for us.
My simple question is this. In all of the research that I have done it seems like everybody has problems, descrpencies, breakdowns, and failures with thir new rigs. The least amount of squawks from one member was 12 with the most being over a 100 squawks from another member. Is this just the way it is or are those out their, the hidden majority, that have had very little or no problems with their new purchases? I am not so niaeve to believe that there will never be any problems but not being a handyman is scaring me a little.
I will not be offended by anyone telling me that this life stile is not for me and that I should walk away from this dream.
I'm opening myself up a little bit but at the same time I trust the folks that are apart of irv2.
Your very candid comments appreciated.
Don't want you to have to go back to square one, but after driving a IFS Spartan chassis Entegra Anthem at FMCA in Gillette, WY, I had to have it. I had a Itasca Meridian on a Freightliner chassis and the difference in ride and driving experience was just remarkable, IMHO. Maybe the IFS under the Tour would make the difference, I just don't know.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

OK, I am going to slither over here from the 5th wheel forum. My DW (no, that doesn't stand for "dish washer") and I-mostly I-spent many, many months struggling with Mo Ho...and which class.., tag trailer or 5th wheel to replace our large tent trailer that we really enjoyed and used but we wanted to do some serious traveling including coast to coast with our three dogs. Budget pretty much dictated the 5th wheel route, I found I couldn't afford a newer, dependable MH, nor was I comfortable working on, restoring and maintaining an older one and 7-8 mpg didn't fit our budget either. Eliminated the tag trailer due to the towing instability and hassles of hooking/unhooking the stuff needed to stabilize it properly. For a total investment of less than $40KUSD, we bought an 8 year old truck and a 7 YO Arctic Fox 5th wheel and have traveled well over 20,000 miles with no serious problems and average somewhere around 11-12 mpg. I can do most of the maintenance on the diesel truck myself and I don't mind fixing and improving things on the new 5th wheel we just got. Plus, I have a truck I can use for general errands, not a MH that would have to be parked somewhere and couldn't be used to get the groceries or whatever. Just some food for thought. BTW, I lived in Mountain View, CA for many years, I probably watched you many times taking off from Moffett NAS, maybe????
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

U-2pilot , why not check this out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
You might be able to buy this Aspire, almost new...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/sad-...ml#post1647012
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Go to my post Entry level vs High End Coach.Might help a little
WE RV 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Was at Moffet from 1996-1998 flying NASA's ER-2's. Then moved with the ER-2's to Edwards AFB.
Yes every time the U-2 or the ER-2 takes off it always draws a crowd. I can't emagine my life without the U-2 in it. It is a finominal, and at the same time scary to the bone, aircraft to fly.
U-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

I know I am a few days late. I like skigramp comments. All in all the advice on this thread is all valid. Putting your house on wheels and traveling the country with it WILL cause problems. The quality control from the factory is a issue to be considered and as was previously stated, buying used is a good idea because the previous owner faced most of the major 'new unit' problems.

The Tour QD is a great layout. We just bought the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U which is the little sister to the QD. We love it but it too has problems that we are addressing in a priority list.

I, as many others on this forum, have found that the majority of the dealers can not provide quality service on major problems. There are exceptions to this but few and far between. Many Winnebago/Itasca owners return to the factory for major issues. This is true for the chassis also.

I have had 3 class A's since I started volunteering. I would not own anything else. This 'new to us' one is the most functional and comfortable coach we have had. We are loving it though we have only been in it for two months.

Happy hunting. Don't hesitate. Get the Tour---used.