Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have had awning issues from basically our 2nd trip out w/ our mh. This was our original post on the issue electric awning To make this long story short and hopefully to the point our current longer awning doesn't dump the way it was designed since it is too long and sits on top of the slide where water accumulates. (Tom N points this out in the original post). Now we don't leave the awning out if it is pouring out, but if the is a light drizzle we would like to leave it out and have it work correctly.

Since there is apparently no solution other than going back to the original short cloth or going with the longer cloth we have to decide which to go with. Winnie's advice was to put the awning on (they didn't specify which one) and if we still have problems they will address it then (some how I am skeptical about that )

What do you guys think---short or long???

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have had awning issues from basically our 2nd trip out w/ our mh. This was our original post on the issue electric awning To make this long story short and hopefully to the point our current longer awning doesn't dump the way it was designed since it is too long and sits on top of the slide where water accumulates. (Tom N points this out in the original post). Now we don't leave the awning out if it is pouring out, but if the is a light drizzle we would like to leave it out and have it work correctly.

Since there is apparently no solution other than going back to the original short cloth or going with the longer cloth we have to decide which to go with. Winnie's advice was to put the awning on (they didn't specify which one) and if we still have problems they will address it then (some how I am skeptical about that )

What do you guys think---short or long???

Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If I understand your posts correctly you started with the short awning and then tried the longer awning and neither one works correctly when it's raining as far as dumping the water off after accumulation on the awning. One or the other should work, we have no problem with ours but ours isn't over a slide. Winnebago should make one of the options work under warrenty. If some reason they really can't and neither one works correctly I would go with the long one just for the extra shade and then roll it up anytime weather threatens. But I still think Winnebago should make one of them work as advertised.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you guys think---short or long??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We retained the short(standard) version of the awning and it dumps water as it should.

To aleviate the height of the awning because it is shorter, I added a front shade to it. I first bought a 5 ft tall front shade but it did not come dowmn far enough. Now I have a 7 ft tall shade and it works great. I bought it at this site:

arizonarvparts.com/Prodselect.asp?SID=47&DID=15&CID=4

It attaches to the awning permanently and rolls up with the awning when you retract it. You might give this option a wirl
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

easyrider--you got the jist of our awning problem correct. I'm hoping that if we do have a problem w/ the awning not dumping correctly that Winnie will do something (I don't know what though) to correct the problem. That is what they say now, but our 1 yr warrenty was up in Sept and I am hoping since it's an unresolved issue that if we have a problem they will address it.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bob, it seems to me that the longer awning would dump easier than the short one as it would let the arm extend further.

Is the problem that the water is puddling on top of the slide, rather than at the lower right front corner? or left corner when facing the coach.
Have you tryed it with the slide in? I know that it is susposed to work with the slide out, but this may give you a clue. You could use a garden hose to check it..
Ps you have a three year warranty on the large awning and a 2 year warranty on the electric door awning if you have one.
Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Is the problem that the water is puddling on top of the slide, rather than at the lower right front corner? or left corner when facing the coach.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the water pools up on top of the slide and than slowly but steadly flows down to the front lower corner (while looking at the coach) rathere then the rear corner where the dump mechanism is. This occured even when the coach is level.

I have not tried it w/ the slide in to see if it works correctly-I will have to keep that in mind for when we get the coach back from the dealer. Me and the wife discussed this last night and we are going to go with the longer awning so the arms will be straight and have a better chance of working correctly.

Thanks also for the info on the 3 yr warenty--I'll have to check our warrenty and see what exctly is covered for the 3 years. Winnie did mention to me that it is out of warrenty now-which is when I told him it is an ongoing issue.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bob, before you change anything,,why not give Dometic a call, maybe they can assist you with your problem.

My concern is that a longer awning may rub on the slide. Tell them you spoke with winnie. If you need further help PM me.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I did get a chance to talk w/ Dometic and according to them we have the two choices of long or short awning. I do not know if they have a fix for this problem since apparently it is only w/ the 05 models that have a slide under the awning. Since the coach height was raised for the 06 and on models the awning can be mounted higher on the coach which solves the problem. The rep also said these awnings are not ment to be out in the rain (so why put on a dump mechanism???) I must say I am a little disapointed in the result of service I am getting on both Dometics and Winnies end--both are great compainies and I do hear a lot of good things about them both here and on the road. I am just hoping for better service on this awning situation.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Bob, check your PM's
Old 01-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Sunrise with the electric short awning that does not dump the rainfall. What I did is to shut off the automatic retract mechanism and than tied a rope to the side of the awning that should dip and pulled it down slightly. It works fine even in heavy downpours.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ok, two year ago I went thru this issue with Winnebago at the Factory because there orginally installed awning on my 2005 Vectra was a model 835DP20.oor (835 is the model,
DP20 is color and size and ooR is the hardware arms color). It was only 90 inches wide and when it rained it would fill up in the middle and dump out both ends colasping the awning against the coach. I found that they had used the wrong awing and they ended up replacing it with an 845DP20.ooR 96 inches wide allowing the awning arms to extend fully and the awning to drop an additional 12 inches lower. With the arms extended fully they are in a lock out position that allows the rear arm to slide inward with water weight on it and dump to the back of the awning. Yes the fabric touches the top of the slide out and no problems in two years and we use it alot. The only problem is I just recently lost the awning in a wind storm while driving and in the process of having it replaced with another 845 model. Don't anyone believe because you have an electric awning that the wind cannot take it away when it is rolled up..there is a fix for it and I orded it at www.hometown.aol.com/goldenwgf.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote