Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Post What to buy

We no more than completed a live video of a 33 ft 2006 Adventurer with Lichtsinn Motors which we liked fairly well when the salesman had us look at a 37 ft 2011 online that is much nicer and obviously newer. The 06 is a 33V for 75K and the o11 is a 37F for around 130K. The 33V is more affordable but doesn't have all the features of the 37F. The cost of the 37F would stretch us a lot so what I need to know is what the total cost of ownership would be. How much would insurance and maint likely cost? We could obviously eventually go full time in the 37F, which might be an option in 3 years or so but the 33V would be cramped. We have two dogs, one largesih and one small and would very occasionally want to bring a daughter and son along with one or two kids so there are some trade offs there as well.

From a cost view i am also considering the Aspect and View since even tough too small for sleeping 4 plus a kid - they might be more affordable from a total cost of ownership view.
mrmrsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrsbb View Post
. The 06 is a 33V for 75K
I think this is what you're talking about:
2006 Winnebago Adventurer 33 V, Forest City IA - 110104580 - RVTrader.com

Looking nationwide.. that's not a great price on a V10 with 71k on it...

New And Used Winnebago Adventurer 33 Rvs For Sale - Rvtrader.Com

For that kind of money, I'm looking for a diesel that's a few years old...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the price info -- I hadn't shopped price - seems there are a lot of these out there.

Any thoughts on the trade offs and choices - as well as info on other costsI need to consider

BTW that was the 33V in question the 37F is a new arrival so likely can only be seen on there site.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I would agree that the price seems to be a bit high. I suspect the dealer has a substantial cushion for bargaining in the price. We bought out '07 Voyage 35L, with just over 25,000 miles, in May 2012 for less than they are asking for the '06 you are looking at. The floor plans are similar, although mine is obviously a bit larger. No matter how good they look, check the date codes on the tires. With that vintage is is very likely the tires were original to the coach and due to be replaced. That is a large expense you would probably want to work into your deal.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Well that is a huge price difference. So I guess it comes down to, first the cash and second the floor plan. Personally after owning ours for three years (33V) it houses us just fine (with two dogs). Although the longest time we have gone out was ten nights, that pesky work stuff keeps us from traveling more.

How much time are you going to spend in it? And (this is my opinion) that if you were to full time a diesel pusher would be the way to go. From a cargo carrying stand point and drivability.

Sleeping will be the same in either, you have a queen bed (make sure it's not a short queen), dinette (if you have one, for people under 5'10") then a fold out sofa.

How about the refrigerator? We would eventually like a larger one, preferably a residential refrigerator.

Are the tires original on the 06 33V? If so replacement will be necessary due to the are of the tires. Figure a couple of thousand there.

Costs? Since I do all my maintenance and repair myself it is hard to give you a amount. This year I needed a condenser coil for the basement air conditioner ($400), camshaft sensor ($35). I also plan on replacing my spark plugs, ignition wires and O2 sensors. Along with engine and generator oil, air, fuel filters. So this year around $1,000 doing it myself.

Insurance in New Jersey for ours runs just shy of $1,000 per year.

Fuel milage, I average around 7 on ours.

Don't know if buying a class C will save you that much, they might get a little better gas milage, but not much. You still have to do repair, change oils and filters. Tires would probably be cheeper.

Hope this helps a little. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The tires on the 33V are brand new.
That might make the price more competitive
Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Many smart people on here will tell you to buy your last motor home first. Wish I would have listened and bought bigger the first time around.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream
Many smart people on here will tell you to buy your last motor home first. Wish I would have listened and bought bigger the first time around.
I'm not sure what makes these people so smart?? If your 40, plan to RV until you're 70, you'll be in a 30 year old Motorhome when you retire from the road. Circumstances change - the 42 footer may be too big for the buy last one first crowd in 5 years. No difference if you need more or less later. Don't overextend yourself - get what will meet your needs most of the time - and makes you and DW happy. Just don't think if it isn't big - you should wait 5 or 10 years until you can have it. That day may never come and it's better to be RVing than not.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1

I'm not sure what makes these people so smart?? If your 40, plan to RV until you're 70, you'll be in a 30 year old Motorhome when you retire from the road. Circumstances change - the 42 footer may be too big for the buy last one first crowd in 5 years. No difference if you need more or less later. Don't overextend yourself - get what will meet your needs most of the time - and makes you and DW happy. Just don't think if it isn't big - you should wait 5 or 10 years until you can have it. That day may never come and it's better to be RVing than not.
On Edit - who bought their last house, car, boat, refrigerator first? There are starter houses, first cars etc. The only thing you can be sure your buying your last one first is your casket.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I live in the same house and still have my first wife !
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512
I live in the same house and still have my first wife !
And mine has the house.
Well played sir. Well played. I did read your thoughtful post and think we agree on much. I just find the "buy the last one first" to be good for a certain age group - retired - about to retire. Not an across the board rule of thumb - more clever than smart and not practical for young - middle age buyers.

I find the happy wife, happy life to be a better guide. And the worst thing to do is overload or stretch the budget. These things don't graze for free on open range. The care and feeding is a big consideration when figuring out your budget.

OP - Good luck with the hunt. Shop wisely and ask questions as you narrow your focus.
Steve and Annie
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
And mine has the house.
Well played sir. Well played. I did read your thoughtful post and think we agree on much. I just find the "buy the last one first" to be good for a certain age group - retired - about to retire. Not an across the board rule of thumb - more clever than smart and not practical for young - middle age buyers.

I find the happy wife, happy life to be a better guide. And the worst thing to do is overload or stretch the budget. These things don't graze for free on open range. The care and feeding is a big consideration when figuring out your budget.

OP - Good luck with the hunt. Shop wisely and ask questions as you narrow your focus.
Steve and Annie

if you took time to read the OP you would see he is 3 years from retirement and talks about full timing. hence my advise was good - helps to read the original question before you go off on tangents
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

In this particular case I would advise against "buying your last motorhome first". At this point the OP hasn't even settled in on what they would like or what they can afford. They're considering everything from a View to an Adventurer 37F.

In the automobile world that would be like trying to decide between a Mazda Miata and a Cadillac limo as far as size, ammentites, and cost are concerned.

I would suggest renting a couple motorhomes similar to the ones they think they might want to buy before investing in anything. We rented a few before purchasing just to be sure the dogs would be comfortable traveling and to get a better feel of what things would be on our "must have list".

After trying a few we settled on an Adventurer 32V. We purchased it new in 2001 and just retired it a momth ago. We put on over 100,000 miles and had a wonderful time doing it. We now have a 2013 Adventurer 32H. I expect we'll keep it another dozen years and put on at least another 100,000 miles.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream

if you took time to read the OP you would see he is 3 years from retirement and talks about full timing. hence my advise was good - helps to read the original question before you go off on tangents
Many apologies and blessings on your camels. I read all the posts and missed a line. IMHO you missed all the others.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

OP -I did not intend to kill your thread. Apologies.

Have you narrowed your focus a bit. I will again stress budget. You really need to start there. Be realistic as to what you can afford and build in a cushion on the back side for those unexpected things in life with and without an RV. Once you have your numbers down you can tailor your search to what's available in your price range.
Steve and Annie