Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

What is Best collapsible ladder to carry?

I want a strong ladder that will fit into a storage bay. What is best and where can I buy it? Thanks, Joe
Old 09-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have a 7 foot one that folds into a 5x5 square, you can climb up either side and has an optional tool tray. It slides into the box that goes through to the other side of the motorhome. It takes up very little space, I used to carry one on my ladder on the rear of the coach but this one works better. Its also very sturdy, I bought it from camping world I think for around $120 its a little pricey but works good. The only drawback is that its heavy.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Cosco 17' ladder at Walmart. The 13' was too short to safely use when I needed to reach the roof of my MH.

Remember ladders are not usable at their stated length.
Attached Images

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have one of these and it works great ! Very light weight, it telescopes from 2.5' to 12.5'. It is quick to deploy and easy to store. Takes up alot less room than a folding ladder. Bought mine @ Target.

Xtend & Climb Type 1A Contractor Telescoping Ladder - 12.5' : Target
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
I have one of these and it works great ! Very light weight, it telescopes from 2.5' to 12.5'. It is quick to deploy and easy to store. Takes up alot less room than a folding ladder. Bought mine @ Target.

Xtend & Climb Type 1A Contractor Telescoping Ladder - 12.5' : Target
I have one of those also and like it.
I lucked out and got it on a close- out for about $150.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have both the 'extend-and-climb' 12' ladder and the 7' folding step ladder from Camping World. I prefer the 7' folding ladder overall and carry that in a compartment. The extend-and-climb requires you to lean it against something (like a standard extension ladder) so it was not usefull for cleaning the windshield or other circumstances where a step ladder would work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

My wife smashed her finger in the colapsable ladder flattening her diamond ring. It had to be cut off of her finger. Want to buy one cheap??? Dont ask what it cost me!!!
AC eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The telescoping type of ladders are a good product from a good company (legal disclaimer only). But you must be very very very careful extending them ( you must make sure that each latch on both ends of each step are correctly engaged. Also, as Bill wrote above, you might want to wear shark proof gloves before collapsing it.

As an insurance adjuster, I have seen numerous claims, caused by these ladders, One heating & air conditioner repair company destroyed several of them (so no one would ever use them again) after an injury.

In my opinion, and my opinion only, they are not safe. If you have one, please don't use it and do not give it away. Place it under one of your leveling jacks, lift the coach and sell it for scrap along with your empty aluminum cans.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi:

+2 for the folding 7ft step ladder from camping world. Like smlranger stated, it slides into the side compartment, and you need at least a 7 footer to clean winshield and stuff. CW usually has them on sale, and you save a few bucks more if you are a president club member. I think they are around $149 or so.

I bought mine at the Louisville Rally, had a $50 coupon from CW...

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I have one of those also and like it.
I lucked out and got it on a close- out for about $150.
Got one too except mine is black anodized (dont think make them anymore). Having read about a few folks getting their fingers in these, I'm always aware of where all 10 of mine are when collapsing it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

CW no longer has the 7 foot ladder, just 5' and 6'. Joe
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I have the Camping World 6' and the 7' fold up ladders. I only use the 7' one now as it is lighter and lets me reach the top of the windshield.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I too have the 7ft collapsible step ladder carried in a pass-through bay.. if 8ft would fit I would have bought it. I have never used it for washing the windshield ...have a telescoping sponge/squeege for that. Don't recall where I bought the ladder ...CW maybe, but have seen them other places too. Check online for "collapsible ladder."
Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I too have the 7ft collapsible step ladder carried in a pass-through bay.. if 8ft would fit I would have bought it. I have never used it for washing the windshield ...have a telescoping sponge/squeegee for that. Don't recall where I bought the ladder ...CW maybe, but have seen them other places too. Check online for "collapsible ladder."
Don't you find that "telescoping sponge/squeegee" difficult to use on the curved windshield? I couldn't figure out how to get the curved ends dry without a ladder. Is there a trick to it? Joe
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I want a strong ladder that will fit into a storage bay. What is best and where can I buy it? Thanks, Joe
We use a 7' aluminum telescoping jobbie. Sturdy and lightweight. I don't recall the brand but I got it at Home Depot 4 years ago.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Don't you find that "telescoping sponge/squeegee" difficult to use on the curved windshield? I couldn't figure out how to get the curved ends dry without a ladder. Is there a trick to it? Joe
Joe
That is my problem also, that is why I use the ladder and a soft cloth.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I also have the 7ft Collapsible from Camping World. It does not seem as sturdy as my old green fiberglass folding ladder but it works as advertised and I am careful to make sure it is on solid & level ground when I use it. I love the fact that is easy to store and that I don't have to unload a lot of stuff that has been set on it in order to get it out from under the motorhome.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
I have the 7' collapsible ladder which came with the coach. It satisfies all the needs I have in working around the coach. It folds down to an approximately 4"x4"x7' configuration and is stored in its own box in the streetside bay of the coach. I write because I have been bitten by the thing several times while collapsing it. It is the best ladder to have but beware of pinched fingers while collapsing it. Also beware of the fact that fingers may get snapped while unlatching the red latches on the bottom inside of the legs. Gloves help a lot! The red strap that holds the legs together in the stored configuration broke early on in its life, so the strap is useless to me. PPL still has the 7' collapsible ladder.

Suncircles

2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Don't you find that "telescoping sponge/squeegee" difficult to use on the curved windshield?
The curved edges are a more difficult than the flatter areas, but not so bad I feel a need to get out a ladder to do it by hand. I came very near getting out my own squeegee today at a Pilot truck stop when both of the ones I tried from the truck island were beyond use on the scrubber side...
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
We use a 7' aluminum telescoping jobbie. Sturdy and lightweight. I don't recall the brand but I got it at Home Depot 4 years ago.
It is not 7'. It is closer to 12'. Works just fine and sturdy.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote