Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

what is a good price for a new 2009 coach

I am looking at a new 2009 Winnebago Tour that had in 2009 a mfg list of $279,000, now that the 2011 are available would I be out of place expecting a dealer net price of approximately $170,000.00 ? this is being based on a dealer discount of 30% and also an inventory write down of approx 12% I know Winnebago offered dealers some pretty good rebates to help them move inventory, I would be trading a 2003 Adventurer with only 30000 miles on it and fully loaded I am looking for low NADA of $53,000.00 and am prepared to write a check, am I in line or way off base??
Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
Your idea of a 30% discount right off the bat is accurate. I had experienced several times a 27% "starting point" for negoiations. Not sure if they're ready to do the inventory write down just yet. Might have to wait till the end of summer to get that.
If low NADA RETAIL is 53,000 then the dealer is certainly going to buy it from you for considerably less; not sure what that might be percentage wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least 15 to 20% LESS than 53,000. Of course they will quote both higher so as to package in any debt; appear to have down payment equity, etc.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #4

You are expecting to buy new at/near a wholesale price and then trade your coach at retail price. This plan is usually flawed. See what your coach shows for a trade or wholesale value and you might have a better idea of what a dealer will offer. Often, to make you feel better, they will not fully discount the RV, add some additional discount to the value of the trade and then present the offer in that form. The 15% additional discount sounds like a huge expectation but you can't get it if you don't ask. Let us know how it goes. You are not headed in to buy an RV, you are headed in to negotiate with professionals who are going to try to wear you down, twist the numbers, confuse you about what you will be getting and paying, promise you anything and deliver nothing. Take your best shot but hang onto that checkbook very, very tightly! With all of that said, just because you expect something does not mean that you have a realistic expectation. If you can find a price you can live with, buy it.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In my opinion your expectations are unrealistic. In April 2009 we traded our 1999 Chieftain 36' DP in on a new 2008 Winnebago Tour 40 TD. This was a leftover unit as the 2009s had been out for several months. The Chieftain was worth 40-50,000 per NADA and I asked them for 40 and then asked them for a heavy discount on their coach. I worked with two different dealers for identical coaches. The first dealer didn't want to play but the second did. The coach we bought listed for over 267,000 and the purchase price was 190,000 minus 40,000 trade in allowance for the Chieftain. This was 30,000 less than the best offer the first dealer would give us. At the time, Winnebago was giving a 10,000 rebate to the dealers to help clear out this and other 2008 models which helped make the deal. I don't think you can expect the dealer to give you top dollar for your coach while expecting him to discount his new vehicle a great deal. If you can make it happen you are a much better negotiator than I am. Good luck to you.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I traded in my 2003 35U Itasca Suncruiser for my 2007 Tour in June 2008 so about the same timing as yours however my trade was two years younger at the time.

They discounted the $260,000 list coach to $180,000 and gave me $50k for my trade. That's about a 31% discount.

For your $279,000 coach, a 31% discount would put you at $193,000 so any lower than that would be great! Expecting $53k for your trade would be pushing it. Go in and tell them the deal you want and see what they come back with.

The Tour is a great layout and you'll love the coach whatever the price!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

In my opinion discounts are just percentages. If they inflate the msrp and give you a 35% discount, will you feel better? Like Bill said, find a price you can live with and buy it.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Lee gave a great explaination in the Newmar Forum about how the whole trade in price/new price game is played. Well worth the read & once you understand the shenanegans, you're better prepared for dealing.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote