Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What Discount % Did You Get on a New Winnebago?

My wife and I are considering purchase of a new Winnebago Vista 26p in California.
We would appreciate any information on the discount percentage you achieved below MSRP. My [COLOR=#0072bc !important][COLOR=#0072bc !important]dealer[/COLOR][/COLOR] starts at -15%, but I think I have seen comments regarding as much as -24 to -26%.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Cheers!
Papa Allan
Papa Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our last deal was on a new 2007 Winnebago Voyage in Jan. of 2009. The coach was new and came with a full factory warranty but had been sitting on the dealers lot for one and a half years. We paid about 35% below MSRP. Keep in mind that at that time RV sales were dead and it was winter, not peak season like now. If you are looking at a 2011 and this being peak RV season I would think that at least 20% off MSRP (the sticker from Winnebago) not the dealers sticker, would be a reasonable number. Remember there are other dealers and lots of RVs to choose from. If you cannot make a deal now, wait a few months when business slows down they will be more willing to talk.
Best of luck and let us know how you do.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Of course the dealer will offer you a GREAT deal with 15% off MSRP. HE would love for you to buy at that level so that he could buy his wife that new BMW or braces for the kids teeth.

In todays market, they need to be more than 30% off.

Ken
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Perhaps in the old days, prior to the banking crisis, RV industry shakeup, and gas price increases, you might have been able to plan on some arbitrary number like 25-35% off MSRP. But now you need to do more research on the model you want, and the dealer who has the one you want.

Obviously, any dealer will discount a unit he has had in inventory for quite a while, more than one that was ordered and just arrived. Or if he has several of the same model. Have you checked to see what the nationwide inventory on that model is via internet search? Knowing what other dealers are marking their inventory at, gives you some leverage on your local dealer.

The more expensive a unit is, the more mark-up% may be available for a discount. Do you have a trade-in, or is this a straight cash deal? Is the dealer going to do the financing where he might get a bit of a fee for arranging it, or are you doing the financing yourself?

And is the market for RV's in your area consistant throughout the year, or seasonal? I would think that California is fairly uniform, where Texas or Minnesota would have definate low points in sales activity.

And is the unit you want, new but last year's model, with the new ones about to arrive on the scene? All factors to consider.

That being said, we bought our unit, new, but end of the model year, a sort of a rare model, we had a 7 year old RV to trade in, and it was at a low point for the RV industry. Its hard to figure in the exact discount with all the factors, but I estimate it was around 25%. Could we have gotten more, possibly, but a cash deal talks much louder than one that includes a trade-in.

Final advice, don't be afraid to make a reasonable offer, and then walk away, you can always up the offer later when they call you back. Sometimes it is better not to get the deal you think you want, because a better one is around the corner.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

See about talking to the sales MANAGER, not salesman. Talk to the OWNER and see if he or she wants to dicker.

Make your offer of 40% off sticker and politely present it....and promptly leave.

Give them your fax number and email and do the dickering via these modes. No more in person visits until you have the deal you want in WRITING via fax or email. You can come down to 25% off sticker if necessary.

I did not look to see what engine is in your Vista. Probably a Chevy and maybe ONLY your dealer can work on it. If you a lucky any Chevy dealer ship can work on it....like the W/I units with a Ford engine and any Ford dealership can work on it.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you All for outstanding advice!
Papa Allan
Papa Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

When we ordered our 2011 Vista 30W last July we negotiated about 25% off the MSRP.

Too bad you're in California and not here. Our dealer currently has two 26Ps, a 2010 and a 2011 (I think). I was talking with our salesman a few days ago and he indicated that they would love to get rid of at least one of them so they could order a 30, like ours. They need to pare down existing Winnie inventory, first, though.

Good advice from others to check existing inventory in your area for the 26P. The supply and demand, thing.

Good luck.

Fran

Tags
winnebago