Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

What Did You Do To Your Winnebago TODAY?

Installed new Koni shocks.
Rear sway bar yesterday.
Sumo Springs the day before.

We are getting our "new to us" Winnebago ready for our first trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	170773  
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Completed the "suitcase" for our DIY portable solar package to facilitate some dry camping in the desert during our upcoming snowbird trip number 2. (Now, if only it would stop raining and snowing so much out there!!!)
WindBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hooked up the tow dolly for the first time , loaded the car and took it out for a test drive. Started loading clothes ect for a 3 month stay in Florida. Our first ever trip. What could possibly go wrong ? He he.
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I lowered my bed platform to accomodate a new Tuft and Needle mattress from Lowes. My wife uses a wheelchair so bed height is critical for transferring to and from the bed.
We have the same mattress in our house and now the MH bed is the same height.

The platform sides are built like a hollow core door with thin facings and and an internal framework so it's not just a matter of trimming the pieces to size. I had to fit in new 3/4" internal framework pieces to replace the ones that were cut off due to the trimming.

We did give up some under-bed storage but still have several inches worth.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Went to our Winnie in winter storage to do the monthly generator run and battery charge. During the run I shoveled about a foot of snow from around the rig. My logic is that will make it a little easier to get it out come springtime. Only about 2 1/2 feet between the rigs so I had to move the same snow 2 - 3 times to get it all out front and out of the way. Next time I'm going to take my Toro Power Shovel to make the chore easier! Had intended to clean off the roof too but that will have to wait until next time. Hopefully by then the wind will have blown most of it away!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Getting ready for a run in a couple of weeks. Cleaned the spark arrester on the Onan. Tested the Cummins coolant and charged it with 2 pints of DCA4. Checked all the fluid levels including wet hubs and batteries. Took my grease gun, 8 oz ball peen and bag o' wrenches for a belly crawl stem to stern. Hit all the grease fittings, tapped all the welds and snugged bolts and hydraulic lines. Opened the hatch I installed in our fan shroud and made sure no packrats homesteading between the CAC and radiator. Fired up the Cummins, used the on-board compressor to top off the tires. Went for a joy ride to Marana and back just to get the DCA4 circulated and everything all warmed up.

Just a pleasant, satisfying couple of hours in the summer when it is a balmy 105 f and the concrete is cool.

Pretty miserable in today's high of 50 f. Somehow the concrete temp felt below 0 f.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

As long as your behind didn't freeze fast to the concrete, all is good!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #8
Veteran & RV Owner

Checked on my coach......no snow accumulation yet! Hoping for a snow free winter again....here in sunny Florida!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Wandering Winnie

Changed the oil, greased her up, checked the tires, hooked up the tow dolly, loaded the toad. Loaded the coach. The weather looks better than last year when it was 4 degrees.On the road again. Look out Florida here we come.
kc8kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #10
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Exclamation Weight

We don't have our Sightseer 33c out of the snow/rain yet BUT when we do, we ALWAYS get it weighed after we are loaded with everything. We do this once a year and after any significant upgrades. We do this to remind us NOT to be over the GVWR and remind us of 'how' much we can gain, buy on a trip. It's good for proper tire inflation too. Significant upgrades include but not limited to Total solar upgrades (includes 'heavier' batteries to add or replace existing ones), Sumo Springs, Additional Sway bars, New Levelers (add on) heavier shocks and Heavier recliners that replaced a lighter Jack Knife sofa. You get the picture, EVERY LBS adds up and you may be surprised. We ran in to trouble with our 2015 Navion. After adding Levelers, Heavy Duty sway bar and 'better' mattresses, WE WERE MAXED OUT, with water and 1 driver and 1 passenger. Very little other things, certainly not 1,2 or 3 months worth of anything else.
Not to discourage anyone, just be careful. Too many overweight vehicles on the road.
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

What did you do to your Winnebago today?

Dealing with all the usual winter weather here in Maine keeping my Minnie Winnie dug out. With snow about every other day keeping Minnie somewhat snow free can be a challenge. I run the snow blower down each side and around the back, then shovel out the rest. But it's all wrapped up snug in it's cover and pretty much settled in for the winter. I'll be headed south to Florida for a couple months the middle of Mar, so like to try and keep it somewhat snow free and ready to travel. As for snow piling up on top, not really a big deal. Most normally melts or blows off. But when we get a major storm, I haul out the ladder and roof rake and clean it off. Just the price you pay for living in Maine.

Dick
2017 Winnebago Micro Minnie
Bangor, ME
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Did the Koni FSD,sway bar, sumo ,earlier Just did the Trojan 6 Volt swap . easy
fit right in 40 lbs heavier, real batteries. ,cables fit perfect.Needed to cut out a piece of plastic to put the threaded rod hold down and drill one hole for rod .
Also did the Solenoid upgrade , to the silver contacts instead of the failure prone copper 80 watt factory piece.
made a slip in cracker shelf . slides in slot above cupholder.
Also made a nice slide in shelf for the JET pilot mask...cant find the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	170813   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1012.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	170814  

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	170815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	170816  

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	170817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	170818  

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	170819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	170820  

RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

sumos FSD Helwig

pic of the need stuff, sumos FSD Helwig
Also took the doghouse to the Mercedes dealer , because showed 1 1/2 qt low on oil . The oil Listed on my on my Lazy Days ticket (mobile 1) when I called was informed they do not even use that brand . So decided to change at 10K, good move . Oil change, filter , and two extra quarts on my seat . and a full checkup on brakes belts , codes etc . drove in no appt and out in an hour. like around $180. Mercedes brand oil is $7.50 , auto parts stores is $10.50.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	170821  
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
pic of the need stuff, sumos FSD Helwig
Hey we have that same exact picture.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Took the 04 Adventurer in just before Christmas for the 60K mile service. They did a brake inspection and wanted $2500, needed four rotors and pads. Took it to another shop that does mainly trucks but also RV's, owner has a DP, saved about a grand. Got it back on Friday and went to the Tire Store on Saturday for a tire inspection. We should be good for a trip to Lake Havasu City this week but should replace the tires before summer heat or a longer trip. YIKES! That will be twice the price of the brake job.
Going to make a quilted skylight cover for the shower today, that will cut down a lot of light in the bedroom at night. Then get ready for the first trip of the new year.

Happy, Healthy, Fun and Safe New Year to all!!
BobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

In search of more counter space for Navion

I added an extension to the Navion Kitchen counter space given the limitations by the entry door. This includes the boarding handle, exit space and ability to fold up when not in use. The first Picture shows the extension in use position.

Additional photos show hinges, folding support and lock. It is made of cherry and finished with urethane. The additional space means we can add a small drainer that dumps into the sink. Lower pictures show the fold-up support in support position. It folds down when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	170823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	170824  

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	170825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	170826  

jmarshalleug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
Took it to another shop that does mainly trucks but also RV's, owner has a DP, saved about a grand.
I've got a truck shop like that, two of the "& Sons" own RVs. Quicker, better and less expensive than a dealer or CW.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Nice job on that Navion counter extension, jmarshalleug!!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

What we did to our RV today is we turned the nose of the RV 15 degrees to the right to better align out tilted solar panels to the sun here in Quartzsite.

We also sold a propane heater today so we also altered the storage capacity of the RV.

Next month we are having a 3/8" thick "FlexArmor" coating installed on our roof in Phoenix, AZ.

rvroof.com
NOT to be confused with
rv-armor.com which is much thinner although also much lower price.

My wonderful wife just started getting Social Security and this is her gift to our RV, "Eagle One", a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD. Next year MY SS starts. hmmmm wonder what I'M giving the RV....
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #20
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Very Nice , that was my next area to direct my concerns . my last 2 areas for extra shelf space was for the Jet Pilot Mask , and a"completely convenient" tray table for dash . It is a piece of delrin plastic 12 gauge and it slides right in the cup pullout holder, which supports it . ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarshalleug View Post
I added an extension to the Navion Kitchen counter space given the limitations by the entry door. This includes the boarding handle, exit space and ability to fold up when not in use. The first Picture shows the extension in use position.

Additional photos show hinges, folding support and lock. It is made of cherry and finished with urethane. The additional space means we can add a small drainer that dumps into the sink. Lower pictures show the fold-up support in support position. It folds down when not in use.
I also made a bracket to hold a 40" tv on the under bed compartment outside door .
It actually worked out well because ,I can open and swing it to the angle I need . instead of having to sit directly in front . will get a pic . when done it will slide in and set vertical inside compartment ,with a swing down foam arm to hold it in place , with cocktail table in front .Both pieces only take up about 5 inch footprint . will get a pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	170864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	170865  

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg