Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

What C/B antenna do you use for factory wired C/B?

Gents,
We're getting ready for a trip in our newly acquired '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD and, it's missing the C/B antenna. Now, I know there's zillion models of C/b antennas out there but, is there one in particular that, either came from the factory and you like it or, you've found another model/type that you like. As most of you Winn/Itasca owners know, this unit came from the factory pre-wired for C/B. I've heard the cable for the antenna is not all that good but, what the heck, I'm not trying to talk to Moscow, just someone else along on a trip with us.

And, if it gets out even a quarter mile, that's fine. I'm running out of time. I've checked on line and there's not many "shortie" C/B antennas out there. I'd like a short one for at least two reasons. One, the mount up there is marginally strong so, a 36"-48" in my opinion, would put undue strain on it, possibly causing damage to the surrounding area. And two, I've got a newly constructed garage/cover for our baby and I think around 20" is about all it could handle without me having to have to get up and either tilt it or bend it over so we could park it at home.

One more point, that rig is around 11' high, even if I thought the mount could handle a 36", that puts the tip at around 14' and some bridges around this country are not even that high as well as fuel station canopies. I could be way off here but, that's what I'm thinking. Any ideas?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Stop at a truck stop there is almost always a CB shop there with loads of parts. The the CB person can properly tune it for you. Shouldn't take more than an hour.
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You will want one that is non ground plane NGP. Most are constructed with the idea that a metal surface will be under it to act as a counterpoise. The roof being fiber glass does not fulfill that function. NGP antenna usually uses the coax as a counterpoise. The coax needs to be in specific lengths that are related to the wave length. (So don't cut the coax...)
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Don't waste your money. In our 70,000 miles in 8+ years of RV travel, I have yet to hear even 1 RVer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gents,
We're getting ready for a trip in our newly acquired '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD and, it's missing the C/B antenna. Now, I know there's zillion models of C/b antennas out there but, is there one in particular that, either came from the factory and you like it or, you've found another model/type that you like. As most of you Winn/Itasca owners know, this unit came from the factory pre-wired for C/B. I've heard the cable for the antenna is not all that good but, what the heck, I'm not trying to talk to Moscow, just someone else along on a trip with us.

And, if it gets out even a quarter mile, that's fine. I'm running out of time. I've checked on line and there's not many "shortie" C/B antennas out there. I'd like a short one for at least two reasons. One, the mount up there is marginally strong so, a 36"-48" in my opinion, would put undue strain on it, possibly causing damage to the surrounding area. And two, I've got a newly constructed garage/cover for our baby and I think around 20" is about all it could handle without me having to have to get up and either tilt it or bend it over so we could park it at home.

One more point, that rig is around 11' high, even if I thought the mount could handle a 36", that puts the tip at around 14' and some bridges around this country are not even that high as well as fuel station canopies. I could be way off here but, that's what I'm thinking. Any ideas?
Scott

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The only other RV's I've ever talked to on our CB was on one of our monthly club outings.

We have a Cobra 29 CB and use a through-the-window antenna. Range is very limited but I like to monitor CH 19 where OTR truck drivers often discuss highway conditions. Occasionally I'll engage in a short chat with the OTR drivers.

The Cobra also has the NOAA weather channel that automatically warns of extreme weather conditions.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
It's not whether I want one or not, we often travel in groups and some of our runs are upwards of 750 miles or more. Many times (infinitely) the C/B has helped in coordinating stops, lane changes, passing/clearance issues, fuel needs-stops, emergency breakages, and tons more reasons to communicate with others while on the road.

The point is, the factory set up the Itasca with prewired C/B coax, wiring etc. and I'm just asking if any one's used the factory antenna mount on the roof and, if so, how well did it work and has an antenna up there done any damage to the surrounding area where it's mounted?

I've talked to thousands of truckers on things like road conditions, niceness of their trucks, length limits, and have also warned them of conditions on their trucks/trailers ( tires flat, lights not working, dragging things, and many more that they were not aware of. So, having one and using it, is certainly up to the individual. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Scott
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here is a no-ground plane antenna which is roof mounted and is pretty short. I have one. It works 'OK', but like most others, I don't use the CB much.

CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The point is, the factory set up the Itasca with prewired C/B coax, wiring etc. and I'm just asking if any one's used the factory antenna mount on the roof and, if so, how well did it work and has an antenna up there done any damage to the surrounding area where it's mounted?
Yes, we have been using the factory installed antenna, and it works fine for our purposes. I understand your concerns about antenna height. Our antenna has a spring on the base which allows it to flex when it contacts something.

You could contact Lonnie at Lichtsinn Motors (an iRV2 sponsor). With your coach S/N they can get you the OEM installed parts you need. I have dealt with them many times - great, fast service.

If you attend a WIT rally or caravan, a CB is needed to stay in contact with the Host or Tailender. We don't jabber much on the radio, but it's nice to have it for road information.

Frank F.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My Sightseer doesn't have a factory CB antenna (I wish it did) but diagrams I've seen show that Winnebago prepped the antenna site with a metal plate just under the fiberglass. This plate is welded to the steel frame of the cab so a non-ground plane antenna may not be needed.
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Here is a no-ground plane antenna which is roof mounted and is pretty short. I have one. It works 'OK', but like most others, I don't use the CB much.

CATALOG Main Page (Frame Setup)
Pusherman,
Thank you Sir for sending me that link. I looked at it and, at present, it's the exact one I'm going to try out for this up coming trip. A friend loaned it to me for experimentation. If it works, and I don't tear out light bulbs etc from fuel stations, I'll purchase the one you sent me when I return home.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-a-ling View Post
Yes, we have been using the factory installed antenna, and it works fine for our purposes. I understand your concerns about antenna height. Our antenna has a spring on the base which allows it to flex when it contacts something.

You could contact Lonnie at Lichtsinn Motors (an iRV2 sponsor). With your coach S/N they can get you the OEM installed parts you need. I have dealt with them many times - great, fast service.

If you attend a WIT rally or caravan, a CB is needed to stay in contact with the Host or Tailender. We don't jabber much on the radio, but it's nice to have it for road information.

Frank F.
Frank F.
I appreciate your thoughts here and your conveying of the Lichtsinn contact. Eventually, we'll hook up with a rally and see what they're like.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9iui View Post
My Sightseer doesn't have a factory CB antenna (I wish it did) but diagrams I've seen show that Winnebago prepped the antenna site with a metal plate just under the fiberglass. This plate is welded to the steel frame of the cab so a non-ground plane antenna may not be needed.
n9iui,
That would be real cool if, Itasca/Winnebago did in fact, install a metal plate just under the fiberglass roofing material. As I put the small 2' antenna on it yesterday, it moved a bit so, if, there's a plate under there, it's not too big and I'd say it's not welded to any frame member, based on how much the base moves with slight movement of the antenna. Thanks for your help here.
Scott

Tags
antenna