Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Team

WBGO RECALL - Solar Controller not fused

I saw a recall notice for another brand RV and decided to check my RV. I found this one below. I had noticed this issue myself and planned to correct it myself on my RV. Now I see it's a factory recall:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V546-5685.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.34.04 PM.png
Views:	264
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	170641  
Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

2018 view 24v owner with 1 factory solar panel on roof, connected on roof does this recall concern me ?
TN VIEWer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN VIEWer View Post
2018 view 24v owner with 1 factory solar panel on roof, connected on roof does this recall concern me ?
The list of RVs that this relates to is in the link provided in the OP.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The rooftop solar port has circuit breaker protection - at least Zamp solar ports do. View/Navions has an additional solar port for portable panels that is mounted in the utility bay. Whether this port has a fuse/breaker, I don't know.

I'll wait for some clarification before I worry too much.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Team

I got the official recall letter today. It is for the Aux Solar Port only and says the roof top port is fused and not subject to the recall. It's very clear in the letter.

Lublabs - is the circuit breaker protection for the roof top port inside the port? Cause I don't see any down by the controller.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The list of RVs that this relates to is in the link provided in the OP.
My Fuse qualifies based on make, model and year, but is not listed as being recalled in the national database as being recalled. I checked with the local dealer and was told it was not being recalled, but I think they use the same database as I have been using, so I am waiting for an official letter before I try to get this fixed.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It looks like Winnebago used 14 gauge wire between the aux port and the charge controller but forgot to ensure that no more than 15 amps could flow thru the wire by including a fuse or circuit breaker. The recall is to pull the aux port off the side of the RV and insert an in-line fuse in the positive wire and re-install. Technically, the charge controller is not big enough to handle more current than that anyway. Not sure how the issue came up, suspect some RV owner up-sided the charge controller and used more ground solar panels than the Operator's guide said to.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
My Fuse qualifies based on make, model and year, but is not listed as being recalled in the national database as being recalled. I checked with the local dealer and was told it was not being recalled, but I think they use the same database as I have been using, so I am waiting for an official letter before I try to get this fixed.
Here's the important question to answer - do you have an auxiliary solar port in one of your basement cabinets or on your RV for you to plug in a stand alone portable solar panel? If you don't then, make and model don't matter, only if you have the Aux Port.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
Veteran & RV Owner

I got this same letter for my 2016 Adventurer. It said that parts will be made available soon.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I had noticed this issue myself and planned to correct it myself on my RV. Now I see it's a factory recall:
Creativepart- Thanks for your post- I too like others have received my notice. Please clarify for me as I had wanted to make the repair myself- what is the significance of it being a "factory recall" that would preclude us from fusing or protecting the involved circuitry by us owners as opposed to a lengthy travel to service then a long wait for repair? I'm kinda new to this motorhome recall stuff.

All that said I can't ever envision ever using this port which heretofore was unknown to me.

Thanks

Joe
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here's the important question to answer - do you have an auxiliary solar port in one of your basement cabinets or on your RV for you to plug in a stand alone portable solar panel? If you don't then, make and model don't matter, only if you have the Aux Port.
Yes, I do have the auxiliary port. I think it is standard on the 2018.5 Fuses.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, recall, solar