Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have just taken possession of a(new to us)2006 Suncruiser 38T, with full body paint. With our previous coach, I waxed it twice a year using Nu Finish. What is the best way to protect the finish and keep the coach looking good? Does anyone use Nu Finish on their full body paint coach?
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have just taken possession of a(new to us)2006 Suncruiser 38T, with full body paint. With our previous coach, I waxed it twice a year using Nu Finish. What is the best way to protect the finish and keep the coach looking good? Does anyone use Nu Finish on their full body paint coach?
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I also use Nu Finish on my rig which does not have FBP. However, I would not hesitate to use it on a painted rig. I would say any good automotive wax or polish would work fine. I've had great results on my cars, boat and the motorhome with a product called No Wet which is a waterless cleaner with wax.

NuFinish does seem to last longer than many other polishes.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is the best way to protect the finish and keep the coach looking good? Does </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Use the same kinds of products you would use on a clear coat painted car. I use J Wax Liquid Car Wash made by Turtle Wax 3 or 4 times a year. I am not familiar with "Nu Finish," but whatever you use, make sure it says on the container something along the lines of "Safe for use on Clear Coat finishes."
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've used NuFinish (however it is spelled) for years and years on cars. I have also used it on our coach. Winnebago does not recommend waxes which contain silicones - I think NuFinish contains silicones but I'm not sure. Last coach wax job I used a Mother's product. I always had good results with Mother's on my Corvette, so I'll probably stick with it for the coach.

Here is the link for Winnebago service tips on exterior care.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The Jan '08 service tips was about caring for exterior finish (see the link on this forum). They suggested using Meguiars M8132 polish for full body paint. I tried that last month. It was easy to use and did an excellent job.

It is almost a one step process because you put the polish on the polisher and keep going over the section until the wax is dry then just use a cloth to wipe of any residue. Sounds like work but really isn't. It takes very little time compared to the put it on, let it dry, take it off method. I had to go to an auto parts store that sold paint products to find it. It is not in the typical red bottle but a cream colored one. There is also one called Speed Wax the guy at the store said was the same stuff but the number listed in the service tips can be used for polisher or hand application and the Speed Wax is for polisher only.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I use nu finish twice a year becasue it is easy.
Works fine for me.

I am thinking of going to a detailer once a year to see if I can get a deep cleaning. The detailer wants $400.00
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
I use nu finish twice a year becasue it is easy.
Works fine for me.

I am thinking of going to a detailer once a year to see if I can get a deep cleaning. The detailer wants $400.00 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Be careful the 'deep-cleaning' doesn't mean you loose a few mils of your clear-coat every year.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I get it detailed once a year. Cost between $350.00 and $400.00. They give it a good washing and then a coat of wax. You can feel the smoothness once it's done. Dust just slides off it.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #10

Yeah, we've used NuFinish on our cars for years because it's always been rated highly by Consumer Reports. Like John, I thought I read somewhere that Winnebago doesn't recommend the use of polishes with silicones.

However, DH has still been using it on the motorhome because their website says this:

Are car polishes that contain silicone bad for my car's paint?

No, absolutely not. In fact, automotive paints worldwide actually contain silicone as a key ingredient for lubricity purposes. Silicone in car polishes will not cause "fish eyes," wihch are small circular craters that appear in the finish of new applications of paint. Applying fresh paint to the surface of your car that was recently waxed or polished may cause fish eyes in the paint if the proper steps weren't taken to remove the silicone or wax prior to repainting the car. But fish eyes don't appear in your paint's surface if you are polishing a dry, painted surface.

On further research, a lot of polishes contain silicones so I guess we better re-think our decision and use one without silicones.

So do the others ones you guys recommend contain them?
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I've never heard of a problem with waxes containing silicone and can find no mention or warning about them on the Winnebago web site. What I did find is an official service "tip" for maintaining the exterior of 2000-2009 Winnebago Industries products. It contains no warnings about silicone and simply says "automotive wax".

Winnebago Service Tip - 2000-2009 Exteriors
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I've been using products from a company called Griot's. They were designed for car buffs. They are a little pricey but the results are incredible.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
I've never heard of a problem with waxes containing silicone and can find no mention or warning about them on the Winnebago web site. What I did find is an official service "tip" for maintaining the exterior of 2000-2009 Winnebago Industries products. It contains no warnings about silicone and simply says "automotive wax".

Winnebago Service Tip - 2000-2009 Exteriors </div></BLOCKQUOTE> This is a direct quote from the Winnebago link I posted three or four up:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Polishing and/or waxing

After the 60-day cure cycle (RV must experience temperatures higher than 60? for 60 days), we recommend a silicone free polish such as Meguiars M8132 Hand Polish or Machine Polish with an orbital machine and terry cloth applicator.

Liquid waxes are easier to apply and bring a gloss with fewer residues.

Please avoid paste waxes. They sometimes have fillers and additives that give a very short- term result. Stay away from silicones in polishes and soaps.

If you want to use a paste wax, please wait two years so that the paint finish is completely cured. When applying a paste wax for the third time, it is in your best interest to clean off the excess deteriorated wax with mineral spirits and a micro fiber towel to avoid heavy scratches in the clearcoat.

Since buffing compounds remove some of the film of the clear, we recommend that only very experienced users or professionals apply this product.

Bug removal – Rinse with water and let soften. Use soap and water to wash the remainder and rinse (may want to repeat and leave soap on longer than normal to help with penetration). For more stubborn areas use an ammonia-based glass cleaner followed by a warm soapy water wash and a rinse. Remember to use micro fiber towels during this process to help avoid scratches. If this does not work, as a last resort, use a produce like Bug-B-Gone in a shady area and follow the directions on the label. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #14

As I do more research, I'm wondering if Winnebago may be over cautious in recommending not to use polishes with silicone. I'm not going to question them as they are the manufacturer but it seems that even some Meguiars' products have silicone as they essentially say the same thing on their website as NuFinish does.

Read to the end of this as the last two paragraphs are interesting:

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=general%20...D=19&section=_19#_19

Or from the last paragraph of the Administrator of their forum in this post:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=4

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I for one have done mine several times with Nu Finish, twice a year for 5 years and it works very good especially without the full body paint. But this time I'm going to have it done professionally not because it looks bad or Nu finish didn't work, it's just a pain in the butt. I'd rather be having fun!
To me it's like panting your 3 story house it's fun until you get above the second floor!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

One of the things that is nice about the Meguiars M8132 is even though it is still not a fun job it is basically a one step process. The coach looks great too and IMHO seems like dust etc is not attracted to it as much. Like Fakrwee said about his detailer job, this feels smooth.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 DSDP is parked on a slab next to my house in the harsh Florida sun. I started off using 3M Marine liquid wax, because it has a UV retardant. The problem was, the white residue that collects around my baggage door frames. Now I use a Turtle wax liquid that leaves no residue, but doesn't have the UV protection.
For the last 4 1/2 years my MH is parked where the sun is on the passenger side all day and the driver's side is always in the shade. I can't tell any difference in the paint finish from one side to the other. I attribute it mostly to the durability and quality of the clear finish and paint.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Here's what Griot say's about thier wax product.

Best Of Show Wax®
Best Of Show Wax® For Maximum Color, Depth And Clarity From A Liquid Carnauba Wax.

Color, depth, and clarity. Three factors any concours judge looks for when he's scrutinizing paint. Of the three, clarity (or lack of it, called "hazing") is the most important. Poor clarity is caused by cheap silicones, inferior sealants, and poor chemistry. Best of Show® is a non-silicone, carnauba-based liquid wax that produces incredible color, depth, and clarity with just one application. Concours participants will appreciate that even with multiple coats, surface clarity is retained, depth is enhanced, and swirl marks disappear. Easy to apply by hand but best when applied by our orbital machine. The heavy carnauba content means a little goes a long way, and as long as it's put on thin, it's easy to take off. The paint surface should be cleaned or "clayed" before use. Best of Show® gives at least three months of protection, plus produces superior results at any concours event. Take your car to a new level of perfection. It will look the best it has ever looked. For best results, use the Red Foam Pad by hand or better, with our Machine Orbital. Enjoy the finest liquid carnauba wax available. We don't call it "Best Of Show" for nothing.

In my case it usually last a year before I reapply. They have something called speed shine which I use in between waxes, just spray on and wipe off. I usually do this before I cover the MH.

Tom
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

"As I do more research, I'm wondering if Winnebago may be over cautious in recommending not to use polishes with silicone. "

Of course, they are overcautious. Heck, they would sue W if they were hit by a car while on the way to get Silicone wax.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote