Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water in fuel sensor

Hello folks. I went from a class B to a new (to me) 2003 Ultimate Freedom. I really like the change but... My WIF indicator lights up on my dash and sets off a warning buzzer. I just replaced the fuel filter but I found there's a second filter, too, that the mechanic overlooked. Has anyone else had this happen?
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The WIF wiring is quite sensitive. The plug on the bottom of the filter/water bowl assembly must be securely connected. I have had the light go on and off intermittently while driving in rain, and once just after the filter was changed and the plug apparently was not in good. Mine has only one filter, but you are correct that most have two. The second is normally installed by the coach builder. The "hidden" filter normally is on the passenger side of the block above the starter. That is the one the engine was shipped to Winnebago with. It can be a real bear to change. I paid Cummins SW on Albuquerque apx $500 to install a filter relocation kit provided by Cummins. It moved the filter to just inside the access door so it is very easy to deal with.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

AFChap, thanks. I'm having it looked at next week, but I'll try and see today if the sensor is loose. Does your warning buzzer go off when the WIF light goes on? It's really annoying! If I stop and restart the engine everything is fine (for awhile). Also, this only seems to happen when going up a long steep hill. My MH is a 40KD, but I'm assuming its about the same as yours. Is there anything else you'd recommend that I have looked at?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't recall any warning buzzer with the WIF light. I can see that being a possibility if something else is triggered. I have had all kinds of lights and sounds going off a couple of other times along with the STOP ENGINE light. When I have had the WIF light I believe it has been the only active indicator.

When your stop and restart and the indicator is not active, to me that indicates the computer has reset from a false warning ...not totally sure about that, but that was the case when my oil pressure sender unit failed when the coach was fairly new.

BTW ...looks like a beautiful paint job on that coach. Do you know if it is the original paint?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info! Yeah, original paint. She's a pretty girl. Today, I'm putting in a flat screen in the front to replace that old piece of ancient history. New TV is HDMI along with a new Blueray DVD player. The old TV actually fell out while I was driving!!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Holy cow ...I'll bet that was exciting! Any damage to people or dash? Check out my recent flat screen install on IRV2 here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/led-...re-144461.html
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

No. Strangely there was no damage at all! But I would've jumped a foot if I didn't have the seat belt on! I have a flat screen picked out but I'm leaving the wood frame on since I think it'll look better.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

AFCHAP - I finally finished the TV replacement and am really happy with it. 39" flatscreen. But, I take back what I'd said earlier. When I removed the 100 pound behemoth of an old TV out the front door, I noticed that the plastic case was cracked and broken all the way around. Here's a photo of the new set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1297087469.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	30462  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It appears you closed the hole in the rear of the cabinet? (I have thought about that, but not done it yet), and added a support to mount the TV bracket to. Do you have a finished pic with the TV in place? How does the bracket/TV lock in place for travel?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On our previous MH the sensor was bad and gave us a false signal. Although the connection may be the culprit, I understand a failing sensor is common.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
On our previous MH the sensor was bad and gave us a false signal. Although the connection may be the culprit, I understand a failing sensor is common.
I've had three fail over the past 4 years. Mechanics say the Raycors are "junk." Anyone find one that is not "junk?" They are kind of critical since a bad one can totally shut the engine down.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE="AFChap;1399221"]It appears you closed the hole in the rear of the cabinet? (I have thought about that, but not done it yet), and added a support to mount the TV bracket to. Do you have a finished pic with the TV in place? How does the bracket/TV lock in place for travel?

(A little OT) Yes, the vent is closed. I lined the cabinet interior with half inch plywood covered with half inch exterior (marine) grade foam, then black vinyl. I used two of the four bolts that hold the whole thing to to ceiling to attach two "L" brackets that hold a vertical 2x12 that the TV mount is bolted to. So far a bungy cord seems the best way to hold the TV in place when driving. I also added a Blueray player and hooked it all up to the exiting surround sound unit. And the picture is the finished result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3124868395.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	30510  
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
It appears you closed the hole in the rear of the cabinet? (I have thought about that, but not done it yet), and added a support to mount the TV bracket to. Do you have a finished pic with the TV in place? How does the bracket/TV lock in place for travel?
The final look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-823501499.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	30531